Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, some time ago, (about 6000 miles for me) I was going through the process of adjusting my valves and ended up with a persistent oil leak from the small o rings that fit around the spark plug extensions. I ended up going to the local hardware store to pick up some as the dealer was out of stock. At the time, there was some mention on this forum about the longevity of these rings as they are made for plumbing applications.... Well, as a 6000 mile followup, no leaks and I am now at 32,000 total on the bike. Probably do another valve check this spring as I get her ready for some summer trips and will be removing them for a visual check.... Just something to keep in mind if you get caught with an oil leak after putting everything back together after a valve check, and your dealer doesn't stock the rings....

·
Registered
782 Posts
It would be interesting to know what material these o-rings were actually made from. The most common suspects are Nitrile (aka Buna-N), Hydrogenated Nitrile and Neoprene. Nitrile has a temp limit of 212F, while H-Nitrile has a temp limit of 300F. Neoprene comes in at 250F. Since I assume the engine on the 900 should not get over 200F or so with the liquid cooling system, then any of these should work. The only one that is risky is the standard Nitrile. If you were to have a cooling problem and shot the temp up over 212F, you could quickly cook o-rings made of this material. But the other two materials would last longer than the oil would at say 240F. On a side note, if you were to find EPDM o-rings (another common gasket material), stay away. They tend to be broken down by petroleum products. Okay, I think that is enough useless information for today.
Cheers!:beer:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts