Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The neutral light on my 2004 Vn2000 does not come on sometimes when I put the bike in neutral. Also when the light is not lit up it is like the bike is in neutral but if I put the kickstand down the motor shuts off just like if I did not have the bike in neutral. Any ideas of what may be the problem? I just changed the oil so I know the fluid level is correct. I say this because I have read if the oil level is low it can cause this issue, so I have ruled that out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did it start before the oil change? If so then I would say it sounds like the gear position sensor and/or spring. Some people are able to cure it by rocking the bike back and forth or changing the oil, but if the problem continues it is probably the gear position switch or the spring behind the brass pin. When the switch fails, the default is 5th gear so you cannot start the engine with the kickstand down regardless of what gear you are actually in.

I have the same problem on my bike, but have just been dealing with it because you have to drain the oil and remove the transmission cover. If you do a search for neutral light or gear position switch on the forum, you will find some other threads about this topic. If I remember correctly the switch is around $100 and the spring is only a few bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
neutral switch

i while back my vn2000 did that and i took the stand switch that is at the bottom side under the engine. i clean the contacts inside the switch and boom no more problem.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
http://vn2000.com/pages/eurogear.htm

Third pic down. The neutral sensor *could be* failing (the pin in the pic is the sensor). It's not a hard or expensive (less than $10 if you re-use the gaskets) fix, just time consuming. You have to take the exhaust off and drain the oil and coolant.

If you're ever going to do Eurogears, this would be the time to tackle that, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts