Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was my birthday and My wife did the unthinkable. She bought me a Motorcycle. But, not just any motorcycle. A Kawasaki Vulcan. Now I know what you guys are talking about. I'm pretty happy with it. Never owned a Kawasaki before. It's a 2004 1600 Classic. I didn't know about the leds until I went over the mountain to pick it up. I'm glad he put them on there because I probably wouldn't have been so bold, and it turns out I kinda like it. I'm not a bronco maniac, but I do love Colorado, and if I ever do watch a game it's usually a Broncos game.
It's a bit off the beaten path for me class-wise and I feel a little clumsy on it. It's big and heavy (but exactly what I was looking for), and all the switches and levers and pedals are in a new place and I'm not at all used to it yet. Can't wait to practice. I feel very fortunate. My wife really knows how to please a man.
...So, you guys are stuck with me for a while. Thanks for letting me play.:snowman:

I ran out of gas about a quarter mile from the gas station. The fuel gauge isn't what I'm used to and the display seemed pretty vague (looked like I had a quarter tank?). I get the message now though.

· Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Good looking bike. I notice your wife got you a bike with a place for her also. Smart. Yeah, the gas guage is just ornamental. Most of us just reset the tripometer every time then start looking for gas when we get to a certain mileage.

· Registered
55 Posts
Kawasaki's rock. You'll like it !

Unless there are service records, think about changing all the fluids (brake and clutch included).

First major service or if you store it for the winter, do a swing arm bearing and steering stem bearing lube.

Then, ride it like you stole it

· Registered
371 Posts
Your wife certainly sounds like a keeper. My new wife (only 39 years) told me I was NOT getting a motorcycle, no how, ever. She still won't even sit on it, but the other day she took my youngest daughter to MVD to take the written test for a motorcycle learner's permit.

Very nice bike. Did she let you help choose it?

· Registered
181 Posts
Nice bike, wecome aboard. Looks like the PO put some cash into it with aftermarket dodads. Once you get used to the lumbering ox it is at low speed in a parking lot you're set. Good luck, have fun.

· Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,915 Posts
Happy Birthday. Real nice bike. Like the LED's. They make you a little more visible at night. As you can tell I'm partial to the blue.

Attachments

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome, folks. Now that I've had a chance to do some bonding with the bike, I'm getting the hang of the massive beasty it is. Soon we will become one, and the Orb will be mine.
I've never been more pleased with a bike...well my first bike was pretty exciting (1964 YJ1, I was 13). I've still got it too. It's just a lawn decoration these days, but I still love the old relic. I haven't been as thrilled about a bike since then, until now.
I was asked if I had named it yet. I hadn't really considered it, but I do have a superstition about naming pets. I believe if you name them they live longer. I know it's customary to name your chopper/bobber bikes, since after you're done recreating them they aren't really the manufacturer's vision anymore. I had a Honda bobber I called the "Iron Concubine." Do ya'll name your bikes, or do I have to lay into it with a cutter before that's legit? I've seen some fantastic looking bobbers crafted from these bikes, but I have no plans to do such a thing...it would look tough though, but no. I can't. I plan on just cultivating the retro style it already sports, and I need a solid bagger for the road trips I plan on taking in the near future.
That's the down side of the frugality of buying a bike in the off season (we paid a paltry $2800 for it!); Spring can't get here soon enough. The wait is going to drive me nuts. Sometimes I go out to the garage and just start it up and stare at it, and soak up it's low rumble. Most of the US is down with massive snow, but we're still getting a few days over 50 degrees F here in western Colorado. That's plenty warm for me and if I get another day tomorrow like today (54 degrees F) I'm outta here!
Thanks for the advice on the swing arm bearing and steering stem bearing lube, TTE. And, I agree, Kawasaki rocks.
Couldn't be happier...or jonesing more for a ride around the hill or anywhere. The thing's worse than cigarettes. I can't seem to muster even a faint desire to get this monkey off my back. Totally addicted and not ready to admit I have a problem at all.
If I can get personalized plates I may go for NGR-MGT, because it feels like psychotherapy on wheels, or mechanized Paxil.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife says, to avoid potentially violent and embarrassing confusion, I should go with "AGR-MGT," and not "NGR-MGT." She probably is smarter than I am....now she's sayin I can only have six characters. I'll have to just rethink the whole thing. The last thing I want is some random lesson in humility while grooving my fresh white easy-chair. That would be a real buzz kill.

· Registered
560 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, folks. Now that I've had a chance to do some bonding with the bike, I'm getting the hang of the massive beasty it is. Soon we will become one, and the Orb will be mine.
I've never been more pleased with a bike...well my first bike was pretty exciting (1964 YJ1, I was 13). I've still got it too. It's just a lawn decoration these days, but I still love the old relic. I haven't been as thrilled about a bike since then, until now.
I was asked if I had named it yet. I hadn't really considered it, but I do have a superstition about naming pets. I believe if you name them they live longer. I know it's customary to name your chopper/bobber bikes, since after you're done recreating them they aren't really the manufacturer's vision anymore. I had a Honda bobber I called the "Iron Concubine." Do ya'll name your bikes, or do I have to lay into it with a cutter before that's legit? I've seen some fantastic looking bobbers crafted from these bikes, but I have no plans to do such a thing...it would look tough though, but no. I can't. I plan on just cultivating the retro style it already sports, and I need a solid bagger for the road trips I plan on taking in the near future.
That's the down side of the frugality of buying a bike in the off season (we paid a paltry $2800 for it!); Spring can't get here soon enough. The wait is going to drive me nuts. Sometimes I go out to the garage and just start it up and stare at it, and soak up it's low rumble. Most of the US is down with massive snow, but we're still getting a few days over 50 degrees F here in western Colorado. That's plenty warm for me and if I get another day tomorrow like today (54 degrees F) I'm outta here!
Thanks for the advice on the swing arm bearing and steering stem bearing lube, TTE. And, I agree, Kawasaki rocks.
Couldn't be happier...or jonesing more for a ride around the hill or anywhere. The thing's worse than cigarettes. I can't seem to muster even a faint desire to get this monkey off my back. Totally addicted and not ready to admit I have a problem at all.
If I can get personalized plates I may go for NGR-MGT, because it feels like psychotherapy on wheels, or mechanized Paxil.

I Couldn't agree with you more! I went from a 1985 Goldwing (I had for years!) to an 07 V2K . Its hard to explain the thrill of owning one of these fine machines to others, but kawi has built some damn fine cruisers, in all sizes!!!

Keep taking care of your wife,,, she is damn sure a keeper!!! (feel free to share what this b-day present cost you) later......... lol! :D

Spose to be 50 here tomorrow as well, some deer huntin early morning, and then some riding is in store for tomorrow....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.