·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tenminimum

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey poncho, where did you hide the coils? I have the eurogears in my 04 V2k, I bought it used that way so I did not have to learn the new sweet spots in the rpm range. I like them and it purrs real nice at about 70 mph.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Curious...does this make the speedo read more correctly too, since it seems to be raising the speed vs rpm?

·
Registered
27 Posts
well we got those eurogears installed this past weekend.. thanks to sfair for kicking in a penny. oil change and refill of the soilant green.. er, I mean coolant. went ahead and relocated the coils as long as everything was all opened up. what did you think I wouldn't move something?
ok, so finally got to ride the girl about 200 miles sofar this week. here are my findings;
First impression, yuk! what happened to all my off the line power and low end grunt. well that was just the first 15 feet or so. Riding these new gears is like riding a new bike and having to learn all over again where the motor is most happy. about 10mph higher in each gear! no more short shifting as you are no longer on the boil.
Once I got more used to staying in 3rd gear, I found that this was optimum for anything from 30 all the way to 60mph. dont grab 4 in the twisties. let 3rd gear do the work. the motor is still loafing and you have tons of motor brake to dial in your lines it almost becomes a dance like down hill skiing. am still new to this.. gear thingy.
As for those two upper gears. 4th is now your main driving gear as it is most effective 40-70 and is not overreving. 5th gear has become overdrive only. it is not usefull below 60 and really doesn't do well until 70. Then it starts to come in the money. actualy 80 might be its more happy spot, but I dont go there and not in traffic. But definately the motor is in troll mode and is geared to do "mosey work".
I changed oil from 15w50 to 15w40 and will see if the mileage improves...any. out, ponch
ps. pix of a cleaner motor. dang, should do it when the tank is off. no more hoses anywheres.
I have an unrelated question. I have had my 2004 V2K for a couple of months now, and am very critical to idle. I may be imagining it, but when riding I may have a rough running situation. I'm not sure, it may be the emission controls holding it back. It's very hard to explain. Standing still the motor at idle is very smooth, but under way, at slow speeds, it seems as if it is running a little rough. Maybe it is normal. Maybe someone has a response. When I bought it, I put 5 oz of "Sea Foam" in the gas tank. As the bike sat before I bought it, I wondering if the Sea Foam may have loosened something. I would take it to the dealer, but know what I would have to go through, and not willing. Hard to get past the service writer and talk to a mechanic. Maybe I am expecting too much out of a V-Twin as far as smmothness. Probably is ok, but thought I would ask.

George

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense because the final drive is still turning at the same RPM with respect to ground, just that the engine turns slower.

·
Registered
1 Posts
curio, no. the speed pick up sensor is on top at the back of this last gear housing and is still reading the final drive output gear and shaft which still has the same final drive ratio on the belt drive sprockets. So the answer is no, even tho others may disagree. These gear change does change the engine rpm vs the final drive ratio but not the indicated speed because the pickup sensor is after and not in that part of the changed loop.

To affect the final drive ratio requires.. more money.. a different solution. Either or both the belt drive pulley and/or wheel pulley can be changed from stock 50t x 72t, to up to 52t(drive)x 70t(driven) pulleys. This will affect change of the final drive ratio and thereby reduce the indicated speed on the speedo.

does that help? out, ponch
Hi - just joined and since I just installed the Euro Gears myself I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in regarding the speedo. I believe the euro gear change will change the speedo to read 4% slower than with the stock gears. Reason is the speedo sensor reads the gear teeth on the output shaft. Stock output shaft has 50 teeth and Euro gears have 48. For one rev of the output shaft the speedo will see 50 pulses with the stock gears and only 48 with the Euro gears - 4% difference.

Euro gears are the way to go with this motor!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts