Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I'm new to the forum. Just got a 2016 Vulcan 900 Classic LT. Love it!

I wanted to wire up a USB port and was curious if this bike has a free harness I can connect with.

My previous bike had one for accessories and I connected that way. Does this bike? How do I identify it? I saw something by the battery but since I'm at novice I was hoping to get confirmation.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not sure about the 2016 models, but The 06-08 models had an fused 5amp marked accessory on the fuse box.
You might take a look at yours and follow it.

I would have to get out my service manual to find if it is wired.I have read other posts that say it is.

There is a connector on the right hand side near the battery, it is for the diaognostic of the ECU. On mine the voltage is near 5 volts, not sure of your needs.

hope this helps

Ride safe and often

·
Registered
304 Posts
Check your owners' manual...on or about pages 53-54.

There should be two sets of accessory connectors; one under the seat and one under the fuel tank...they are fed from a 10A fuse, and have a max limit of 70W to avoid overloading the alternator (you want it to be able to charge the battery as well as run the accessories). Here's the one under the seat:

Note: according to the manual - The electric power of the battery can be used through the electric accessory connectors regardless of ignition switch position.

This means the accessory circuit is NOT controlled by the ignition switch, so be sure to shut any accessories connected to these points off when you turn the key off!

I would hesitate to use the 5VDC wire on the diagnostics port to avoid any potential problems with spiking the ECU...and USB accessory ports want 12V anyway, then convert it to a regulated 5VDC.

If you can't find your owners' manual it can be accessed online directly from the Kawasaki website:

https://www.kawasaki.com/ServiceManuals/Manual/VN900DGF

This is not a service manual, is posted by the manufacturer and is in compliance with forum guidelines.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks rangemaster728!

I am concerned about having the battery drain since power is always on. I know it's low with a USB port but it needs to be switched.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
304 Posts
You are correct...since the USB charging port is a power converter it consumes some power all the time..not just when a device is plugged in...

Most of us use a Battery Tender or similar device to keep our bikes charged...that would counteract any drain while in the garage and would suffice. If you don't already have some kind of battery maintainer for your motorcycle I'd go out and buy one, because it can significantly extend the service life of your battery...judicious shopping will get you a small one for under $30:

A second option is to find an ignition-switched circuit and install a relay that comes on with the key...this relay would connect to the battery thru a fuse and can power your accessories.

A third way to go is install a power distribution box that is triggered by the ignition circuit...many are available like the Fuzeblock FZ-1, but I don't know if you want to get that involved. You can feed multiple circuits that can either be powered all the time, or switched on with ignition. Each feeder circuit from that box has its own individual fuse.

The last option depends on what you're really trying to do with a USB charging port. If all you're doing is keeping a cell phone topped off while you're traveling and don't want to look at it, many of us just go down to the local office supply store and buy one of those little rechargable brick batteries with one or two USB ports on it that can charge a cell phone. Take your cell phone charging cable, plug it into the box, plug your cell phone in and throw them both in your saddlebag. Done. Cheap, easy and no modding the bike.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've been looking at the FZ1 and am leaning that way. My only problem is their wiring diagram shows I need to bring in a 12v switched wire. Not sure how to find that.

Would you happen to know?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not without access to an LT wiring diagram or service manual...
Unfortunately, I have a Vulcan S which is wired quite differently.

Perhaps another forum member can chime in...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quick thought...I just looked at an LT schematic I have for an older model.

It might be worth it to test the accessory connection under the seat since it's easy to access. It you have a voltmeter (or automotive 12VDC test light) you could verify that the connector indeed has 12V on it all the time...test it with the ignition key off, and again with the key on. You could just be lucky an have switched power there...worth a test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have decided to install a Fuze block. It provides several switched and non switched circuits and it looks no more difficult ultimate than adding my own circuit with a relay.

It's not cheap but I like the long term usage potential.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I had a USB port installed on my 900 through the accessory plug. I wanted it 'always hot' so I could, if needed, charge my phone on the bike when it wasn't running. While I did use a battery tender for storage longer than a couple of weeks; I never had any sort of issues related to phantom draw.

The phantom draw of a 12VDC-5VDC converter is extraordinarily minuscule when no device is plugged in. However, if you plan to use it to power a permanently mounted device (like a GPS) I would not consider installing it in an always-hot configuration, because forgetting to turn it off will not just drain the battery, it'll potentially damage your battery. (Lead acid batteries; which includes AGM, gel, sealed, and all other fancy words for what is still a lead acid battery, can be damaged by discharging too far). You could also consider installing an inline switch if you're concerned.

Some have installed them into the headline bucket but, personally, I am very much against the idea of adding additional draw to existing components. However, they're on the right track. What I would do if I wanted it to be key on, would be to run a wire from the headlight bucket to a relay. The draw on the headlight is very minimal. The headlight comes on when the starter switch is pressed. The relay would then be connected directly to the battery. If you aren't familiar; a relay is like a switch. It has a main source of power (your battery), but it's 'switched off' unless is receives current from a signal source (in this case, your headlight). I'd probably run the signal wire right to the headlight fuse under the seat.

Then, as soon as you start your bike, the USB port is hot!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Romans 5:8. I was given a great wiring layout for using a relay as you just suggested. I'm wavering between going that route, or spending $90 and doing the same amount/type of wiring that the Fuzeblock requires. I'm out $90 but I would also have several switched and non switched terminals for future powered accessories. Decision, decisions!!!

By the way, do you know which headlamp wire do I tap into with my relay wire?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts