Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a little ride yesterday, turned out to be just short of 300 miles.

Temps started about 75 degress, bike barely made the second mark. As the Temperature started up I started to feel a little heat from the engine, noted my lowwer vents were closed. I pulled them open and kept riding. Noted a few minutes later the engine temp had moved up almost to the middle mark. Played with the settings for a while and think I have proved a point to myself.

The lowwers are designed designed to keep a presure on the radiator. When you open them in hot weather you reduce the air pressure on the face of the radiator, decreasing the air flow through the radiator. I know there is a balance between confort and engine temps, but give it a try. I found that in 90 degree temperatures, with 4 hours run time on the engine I was comfortable with half of the vent open, the bike ran a little cooler than I have noticed in the past.

Note on the confort, I rode my first V-Twin in 1967. I am still trying to understand the heat issue everyone is talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Note on the comfort, I rode my first V-Twin in 1967. I am still trying to understand the heat issue everyone is talking about.
I agree, Most of my rides have been water cooled since 83, but I rode HD's every day for 20 years 8 to 10 hours a day until 3 years ago when I retired again. This new VV is warmer than what I have owned before (primary ride was a Venture), and my secondary rides are Vstar 1100's. BUT its no different than those Road Kings I rode in 95-100 degree heat... actually not as hot I think. The difference I see is that I am not wearing knee high boots and my lower leg gets hotter than I am used to. Right side more than left of course....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Took a little ride yesterday, turned out to be just short of 300 miles.

Temps started about 75 degress, bike barely made the second mark. As the Temperature started up I started to feel a little heat from the engine, noted my lowwer vents were closed. I pulled them open and kept riding. Noted a few minutes later the engine temp had moved up almost to the middle mark. Played with the settings for a while and think I have proved a point to myself.

The lowwers are designed designed to keep a presure on the radiator. When you open them in hot weather you reduce the air pressure on the face of the radiator, decreasing the air flow through the radiator. I know there is a balance between confort and engine temps, but give it a try. I found that in 90 degree temperatures, with 4 hours run time on the engine I was comfortable with half of the vent open, the bike ran a little cooler than I have noticed in the past.

Note on the confort, I rode my first V-Twin in 1967. I am still trying to understand the heat issue everyone is talking about.
I too have noticed the same thing. I would like to see an aftermarket company come up with a nice looking scoop that could go around the radiator to channel air into the radiator with or without the vents being closed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The lowers are designed designed to keep a presure on the radiator. When you open them in hot weather you reduce the air pressure on the face of the radiator, decreasing the air flow through the radiator. I know there is a balance between confort and engine temps, but give it a try. I found that in 90 degree temperatures, with 4 hours run time on the engine I was comfortable with half of the vent open, the bike ran a little cooler than I have noticed in the past.
This past July as I enjoyed a toasty warm (think life-sapping), sun-drenched ride across the top to Texas from sunny New Mexico to sunny Arkansas. I kept the RH lower vent closed to help cool the motor. Well maybe in 107*F heat "cool" isn't quite the adj I'm looking for. But as the wind was blowing right to left the air blowing through the motor felt less flesh blistering on my left leg with the lower closed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just bought a Vaquero and traded my Yamaha Roadliner. I have had over ten bikes over the past 25 years and never ridden anything that puts off the heat the Vaquero puts out.
-Eric

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree. Went for a 2 hour ride yesterday with the temp at 42 degrees F with the vents closed. Noticed the engine temp stayed at 2 bars and my mpg were lower than normal. After 30 minutes (temp still 42) I opened the vents and the engine temp went to 4 bars and my mpg went to normal. So the open vents warmed the engine, but I'm not sure if the mpg went up because of the warmer engine or the aerodynamics.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Just did 4 days of riding the Feather River areas (Quincy Calif.) the temps in the morning was around 65F and highs of about 75F with all mountain speeds around 35-50mph. Even pulling a trailer it never got past the half way mark all day.

Coming home for the first 150 miles the temps were between 65 and 70 and it never got past the first two marks vents closed.... . BUT... as soon as I hit 80F vents open...and 70mph speed zones... POW.... first bar past middle and fan running all the time. BUT with the temps staying below 90F it only got hot if the winds hit me from the left side blowing the engine air to the right. Best riding I have had so far in the two months I have had it. Also pulling the trailer if you never use 6th it will run a tad cooler.

But I think all you guys that live where you seldom get to ride over 55mph never get the hot all the time temps. Out here where we ride 70 - 85 mph... everywhere we go, this thing is NOT EVEN going to run cool at those speeds. But either I am getting used to it more, or the engine ice is doing its thing more, or not running as hot as it is broke in more, but it is not as hot as those first few weeks I had it before I did the engine ice and lower triple tree air deflector. Those last 200 miles yesterday even though the gauge was the second mark past center, it wasn't bad and the wife said it wasn't bad to her either.

But Kawasaki did miss the mark on engineering the cooling system on this thing. This may be the first motorcycle I never kept at least 12 years or more. (usually at least 20 years)

Almost forgot... one of my winter projects (the few days that we do not get to ride here) I am going to remove the exhaust pipes, remove all the shields, wrap all the exhaust pipes with exhaust wrap, put the shields back on, and put the exhausts pipes back on the VV and see what that does. There is an awful lot of heat coming off those pipe shields as there is virtually no air gap between them and the exhaust pipe. I have done this before on a Honda (not mine) and the difference was amazing.

As you can see... my stable is full...

DSCN0680.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was looking into having the headers pipes coated with ceramic... I think the company is Swain or Swaintech and the product is called white lightning. BUT that was before I put the thunder intake and power commander on. When it's 90 degrees and you're stopped at a long light it's hot. Once you're moving the temp needle rarely sees the half way mark...it might take a few miles to get back below half way, but that's where it runs on my Voyager. In 70 degree temps it runs closer to the first mark below half.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Whenever I can afford it I will get the Thunder Air kit....

Even though I had the Dyna 3000 on my Venture, it was just a matter of dip switches to get the settings you wanted. Haven't read much about the power commander.... too many choices on which one to get...

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance. But it appears from what I am reading here it is normal for the range of the temp gauge to be anywhere on the 4 white marks. I assumed that the gauge on the 4 th mark would indicate a boiling, cooling problem. Mine has reached this mark a couple of times in slow moving tunnel traffic and I was getting worried.

I also noticed someone has fitted a lower triple tee deflector! I saw them advertised for hardleys, didn't think they were made for the Voyager. Who sells them any mods needed?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Whenever I can afford it I will get the Thunder Air kit....

Even though I had the Dyna 3000 on my Venture, it was just a matter of dip switches to get the settings you wanted. Haven't read much about the power commander.... too many choices on which one to get...

Bought my Power commander from Thunder when I ordered the intake. They will give you the right one. They will also give you a map for it based on their dyno runs and testing. Plug and play. Worth the $ as it helped the bike run cooler and make more power.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I also noticed someone has fitted a lower triple tee deflector! I saw them advertised for hardleys, didn't think they were made for the Voyager. Who sells them any mods needed?
There is not one made for the Voyager I used one made for HD from the Phat book. Yes you have to modify it to fit and you have to drill holes in your lower triple tree cross member. I used rivets to mount it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i'm glad the Nomad does not have a temp gauge. I've ridden at freezing temps, and I've also ridden the bike very hard, constant redline with north Texas temps at 106 this summer. All the while with no distractions. She runs perfect.

Just ride....
:)

·
Registered
481 Posts
i'm glad the Nomad does not have a temp gauge. I've ridden at freezing temps, and I've also ridden the bike very hard, constant redline with north Texas temps at 106 this summer. All the while with no distractions. She runs perfect.

Just ride....
:)
Yep, sometimes I think they should remove the temp gauge and put in a voltage gauge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts