Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2008 kawasaki vulcan 1500 classic was fine when I parked it last night but this morning went to crank it its spitting gas out of the top tailpipe changed out spark plugs still pouring gas out of the exhaust. What could it be?

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
540 Posts
That's going to be a stuck float in the carb.
Usually caused by a small piece of debris wedging in between the float valve and seat...or wear on the needle valve causing it to periodically hang up while closing off the fuel.
Ideally you shouldn't have lost any more fuel than the excess from the petcock to the fuel inlet on the carb.
If you have an automatic petcock...it failed to shut off..if you have a manual petcock it was either left on or also leaks past the petcock.
Gonna have to pull the carb...pull the float and float valve...inspect the rubber tip..if there is a groove in it its shot....if you can just barely make out groove by sight..but can't feel it...mat get some time out of it..I would replace it though.
Check the inside of that fuel line..they can start shedding ...run a pipe cleaner in the end of it..it you see any black on that pipe cleaner time for some new line.
Now would also be a good time to check the screens on that petcock..your tank could be shedding some rust.
If you have rust in the bottom of your carb bowl..its coming from the tank...if you have small black specs..its coming from your line.
Clean that float valave seat with a q tip and cleaner while you are there.
Your oil may be contaminated with oil..if your oil level went up a very small amount..then don't run the engine long enough to warm up the oil...if the engine a half inch or more..I wouldn't run it..unless I had to and keep it very brief....if the oil level went up even more..dont run the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I first thought carb but since 2000 my model bike has been fuel injection and I dont know anything about fuel injectors so its kind of intimidating. Is there maybe some kind of valve or pressure regulator that could be overwhelming that cylinder??? I'm lost!

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
540 Posts
To have such a flooding issue would require a leaking injector at minimum...normally when the engine is stopped...the fuel pump stops as well.... only gravity could get you then at this point..
Even if your pressure was high while the pump ran it should still not leak when the injector is not energized..should be able to hold gravity pressure with absolutely no problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To have such a flooding issue would require a leaking injector at minimum...normally when the engine is stopped...the fuel pump stops as well.... only gravity could get you then at this point..
Even if your pressure was high while the pump ran it should still not leak when the injector is not energized..should be able to hold gravity pressure with absolutely no problem.
It only leaks when I crank it or I run it for a second.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
540 Posts
It only leaks when I crank it or I run it for a second.
That is causing the pump to come on.
So its either a stuck injector or its is being signaled to stay on rather than pulse..to find out which...Unkook electrical to injector..if it still floods ...its the injector...if it doesn't flood..then its electrical..such as the ...computer or possibly damage to the wiring...causing the injector to remain open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts