Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say thanks to all the people here who had helpful tips and suggestions while I was trying to get used to my new VN2000. I love the sound and the look of the bike, but every time I get on it I have a close call. I almost dumped it hard yesterday, so it's gone. Just not for me...

You guys keep on enjoying your cruisers and keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Smart move I say. If you aren't comfortable, and don't have confidence, and if the bike doesn't fit its not safe for you. You are smart enough to realize that before tragedy strikes. Enjoy your next venture.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Found myself in a similar situation also. I owned a 1500 classic for a couple of years and kept reading all the wonderful comments about how great the V2K was. So I went on line, found a 2008 LT with only 2k miles in Alabama and bought it. Sight unseen (other than pictures), and of course without riding it.
Big disappointment, in my opinion the bike was bulky, difficult to handle, top heavy, by no means designed to handle the mountain roads of NC where I live, but I was willing to make adjustments and began to like the bike. Then the problems started. Electrical, fuel injection, pulley, front braking, not to mention the excessive tire wear.
So I did the only logical thing, I got rid of it while I was still able to recover most of my investment. Have never regretted it, and since the bike was discontinued in 2010, believe it was a very smart move.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Test rode.

Did you test ride this bike? Just curious is all. You bought it on the 4th and decided to sell it on the 10th.
Yes, I did take it for a short test ride, and I had misgivings then, but I really love the character of the big V-Twin, so I thought I'd give it a try. This bike was not expensive, and it's water cooled, has decent acceleration and good vibration management. I like the belt drive much more than a shaft, and the bike looks great. In the week I was riding it I got tons of comments about the bikes looks, which was weird for me because I don't get a second glance on the ZX14. So there was plenty of possibility for a great relationship with this bike.

Then I started having some really scary experiences doing mundane things on normal roads at very conservative speeds. I can't stress enough that I was NOT trying to race around on this cruiser like it was a sport bike AT ALL. I came to realize that I had to be super careful steering this thing around turns, going over bumps or doing anything other than going down the highway. I started feeling like if a situation went bad, I was likely not going to be able to get out of it on this bike because it simply did not have the steering, braking and overall competence in handling required. This reached a level where it constituted an excessive risk vs. the benefit of the engine character and I decided it wasn't for me.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Yes, I did take it for a short test ride, and I had misgivings then, but I really love the character of the big V-Twin, so I thought I'd give it a try. This bike was not expensive, and it's water cooled, has decent acceleration and good vibration management. I like the belt drive much more than a shaft, and the bike looks great. In the week I was riding it I got tons of comments about the bikes looks, which was weird for me because I don't get a second glance on the ZX14. So there was plenty of possibility for a great relationship with this bike.

Then I started having some really scary experiences doing mundane things on normal roads at very conservative speeds. I can't stress enough that I was NOT trying to race around on this cruiser like it was a sport bike AT ALL. I came to realize that I had to be super careful steering this thing around turns, going over bumps or doing anything other than going down the highway. I started feeling like if a situation went bad, I was likely not going to be able to get out of it on this bike because it simply did not have the steering, braking and overall competence in handling required. This reached a level where it constituted an excessive risk vs. the benefit of the engine character and I decided it wasn't for me.
pd, u gotta do watt u gotta do. I own and ride lotsa bikes. yes this one can be a hanful. I'm not big 5.8 a buck eighty. I thro mine around a fair piece. I hafta respect it's size n manners or it will get in truble fast. Dumping weight helped a bunch. slammin the sled 2" lowered CG. It's still longer than a freight train. Walking speed steering is slo n hevy. rolling at speed is lite n breezy. Big Bear she rides smooth n strong. It's best to anticipate watt you need to do b4 events unfold or yor wrassling a bear n gonna lose that fite!
If you really dig this motor, stuff it in a chassis that pushes yor buttons. Like a pro-street frame. pix in the mornin. ponchout

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to all the people here who had helpful tips and suggestions while I was trying to get used to my new VN2000. I love the sound and the look of the bike, but every time I get on it I have a close call. I almost dumped it hard yesterday, so it's gone. Just not for me...

You guys keep on enjoying your cruisers and keep the shiny side up!
Sorry it wasn't for you, hope your next one is right for you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you really dig this motor, stuff it in a chassis that pushes yor buttons. Like a pro-street frame. pix in the mornin. ponchout
Do you have pics? I would love to see this motor in another frame, just to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Google it, they're out there.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Do you have pics? I would love to see this motor in another frame, just to see what it looks like.
ghl, i thot had more pix of slamed sleds. will dig a bit and see wher'd they got to. here is a stretch with a rad-blower box under the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where R the customs??

I don't have it up for sale for just this reason. Playing around with the idea. I LOVE the engine. I notice that you didn't find many pics. Neither have I. Seems that despite all the potential, there aren't many real VN2000 customs out there. This is just the bike of things that should be, but aren't.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I don't have it up for sale for just this reason. Playing around with the idea. I LOVE the engine. I notice that you didn't find many pics. Neither have I. Seems that despite all the potential, there aren't many real VN2000 customs out there. This is just the bike of things that should be, but aren't.
owl look for sum more.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
ghl, i thot had more pix of slamed sleds. will dig a bit and see wher'd they got to. here is a stretch with a rad-blower box under the seat.
Thanks for the pics, I don't think its my thing, but I used to say that about cruisers.

It is definitely the bike that should be, and is sort of dying a slow death, and its so sad. I cant for the life of me understand why Kawa stopped making this bike. Well I am sure they had their reasons, like not selling, but that's their fault, they still don't market their bikes well. They could have had a legend of a bike that would have gone on for years, with every aftermarket accessory of your dreams. But they dumped it.
If they re released it now with that motor and half a dozen different frame configurations, it would sell.
All the people riding smaller cruisers like I was are looking to move up a bit, and the 2000 is not as intimidating when you have already ridden something like the 900 I had. Everyone would skip the 1700 and go straight to the beast of a 2000.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
It's no mystery why maKaw quit this bike. It didn't sell. Period.
Watt the mis'tree is that maKaw quit this MOTOR.
The market had moved and Kaw following the krowd (not leading) changed thier whole big bike line to the new Bagger chassis where they offer it in 4 stages of dress mode from naked to the Voyager. the Pooch was screwed was that they had in thier hands the BEST motor ever to come outa kaw hevy ind. and they SETTLED for that wimp v17 square OHC mill cuz they wanted smooth not raw power.
What folks miss about this LONG stroke v twin is how much tork it makes. Those square OHC suk at tork. theyr all about rpm ponies. If I wanted to spin a motor fast I wouldn't choose a narrow v twin. There are much better configs that get that job done. Big Vtwins are all about raw power. V2k motor delivers in spades. poncho

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's no mystery why maKaw quit this bike. It didn't sell. Period.
Watt the mis'tree is that maKaw quit this MOTOR.
The market had moved and Kaw following the krowd (not leading) changed thier whole big bike line to the new Bagger chassis where they offer it in 4 stages of dress mode from naked to the Voyager. the Pooch was screwed was that they had in thier hands the BEST motor ever to come outa kaw hevy ind. and they SETTLED for that wimp v17 square OHC mill cuz they wanted smooth not raw power.
What folks miss about this LONG stroke v twin is how much tork it makes. Those square OHC suk at tork. theyr all about rpm ponies. If I wanted to spin a motor fast I wouldn't choose a narrow v twin. There are much better configs that get that job done. Big Vtwins are all about raw power. V2k motor delivers in spades. poncho
The motor is insane, I cannot believe Kawa made it. It looks like a V Twin is supposed to look, I can look at the motor all day, its a work of art. Now the 1700 motor looks like what you would expect from Kawa or other brands, not very special at all. The tork of the 2000, its addictive.
Kawa didn't have to go all square and smooth, if everyone wanted that you would not be selling 6.5 Hardleys out of every 10 bikes sold in the US of A.
Kawas marketing here in Aussieland is woefull, every add on TV is for Hardleys. Now we all know they are not the best bikes in the world, but they sell the most, Kawa should employ their marketing team, bring back the 2000, and bury Hardley with the best V Twin ever made.
Dreaming, I know.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
The motor is insane, Kawa should employ their marketing team, bring back the 2000, and bury Hardley with the best V Twin ever made. Dreaming, I know.
The motor not the bike. Drop into a couple different chassis configs. A true tour and Bagger, a pro street chop. Kaw wouldn't be able to fill all the orders. Folks think that this us just braggadocios. I've racked up several hundred k mikes on big twin hardleys and jap and European bikes, now am riding a 14 injun. The kaw v2k motor is the best big vtwin motor on the planet. Put it in a deserving frame and you won't be able to keep em on the sales floor. ponchout

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did u ever consider going with a smaller bike that handles better? Maybe a 750 or 500 ?I think you are smart knowing your limitations and made a good decision but if you still have the hankering to ride, suggest you rent a smaller bike and see how that feels. Or maybe work out a trade at the dealer to get something smaller

1 - 20 of 45 Posts