Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not a Vulcan rider, but wife WILL be soon (updated)

Howdy.

Longtime rider here, currently on a Gold Wing trike and Yamaha V-star 650. Joined because the wife is looking at a 900 Vulcan, and I wanted to get some information on what to expect - weak points to watch out for, etc.

Ross
WSFFWS

=======================
UPDATE:

It sounded OK on startup (I didn't hear anything odd like the description of a stator going south), ran down the driveway, looked like it was in good shape other than two 7 year old tires... so $2100 later, it's ours. 2006 Classic LT, 11.2K miles on it.

Now I need to get two new shoes on it... 'cause that thing is NOT getting my wife's beautiful butt on it with two dry-rotted tires on it.

OK, they're really not that bad, and if it wasn't for the fact that the previous owner happened to be a cop I'd've totally put a plate on it and ridden it home. It was only about 40 miles or so. Somehow I think he'd've frowned on that... :devil2: And we do have this nice new trailer handy, so...

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 900 is a great ride. I have a 900 LT and love it. The bike is actually geared a little low for many people so some change either the front and/or back pulleys. That makes a drastic change, like 11.5% gearing increase with both pulleys. I love mine now at 70 to 75. Before both pulley changes, at 70 to 75, it was buzzy. The engine is supposedly bullet proof so turning higher revs than on a bigger bike doesn't hurt it. The 900 has a pretty low seat, I'm 6' and like it. It's also lighter than many other cruisers. It gets good mileage. As you probably know, is water cooled, belt drive, and fuel injected.

I haven't done it yet but Ivan has a flash that really wakes the engine up, according to those who have done it. Ivan is able to fix what the manufacturers do because of the EPA crap and still gets about the same or better mileage. That's next on my list. Coming from a 650 V-Star your wife would probably love the extra power and approximate same weight. That and it doesn't get as hot at a stop light as an air cooled engine like the V-Star.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback.

Coming from a 650 V-Star your wife would probably love the extra power and approximate same weight. That and it doesn't get as hot at a stop light as an air cooled engine like the V-Star.
You misunderstand. The V-Star is MINE. :laugh2: It belonged to a Lodge brother and I bought it from his widow, both to have something small to putt around on and to help her out financially. (Probably overpaid for it but so what?) I use it when I get to jonesing for leaning hard over in the curves; I went to a trike because my left leg just isn't up to getting 1200 lbs of bike, rider and passenger off the sidestand any more, so when we're together, we take the Wing.

My wife has a 750 Virago, and it is too hot a bike for her - she went from a Rebel 250 to the Virago. But the Virago handles more like a sport bike - "twitchy" and fast - and she really needs something more mellow, like a cruiser. So out with the Virago, and in with... something. Couple of ladies on our last ride were on 1100 V-Stars and convinced her to go bigger than a 500 Vulcan, which is what she'd been thinking of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The 900 is a great ride. I have a 900 LT and love it. The bike is actually geared a little low for many people so some change either the front and/or back pulleys. That makes a drastic change, like 11.5% gearing increase with both pulleys. I love mine now at 70 to 75. Before both pulley changes, at 70 to 75, it was buzzy. The engine is supposedly bullet proof so turning higher revs than on a bigger bike doesn't hurt it. The 900 has a pretty low seat, I'm 6' and like it. It's also lighter than many other cruisers. It gets good mileage. As you probably know, is water cooled, belt drive, and fuel injected.

I haven't done it yet but Ivan has a flash that really wakes the engine up, according to those who have done it. Ivan is able to fix what the manufacturers do because of the EPA crap and still gets about the same or better mileage. That's next on my list. Coming from a 650 V-Star your wife would probably love the extra power and approximate same weight. That and it doesn't get as hot at a stop light as an air cooled engine like the V-Star.
I've read already about changing the sprockets; doesn't sound too hard. However... this is my wife's bike. So I'll let her make that call after she gets used to the bike.

I am curious about this firmware update you mention, though. Is there a thread on this board about it?

EDIT - never mind; found it and reading about it. Again... HER bike. If she wants it, we'll get it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts