Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new 2021 Vulcan S on 9/29/21. One week later I take it back to the dealer because of a valve-tap like noise the bike started making after it warms up. (It sounds normal cold) My bike only has about 65 miles on it at this point. The service manager and another of their techs listened to it, and at first I get the old "It's a Kawasaki, they all make noise, yada, yada, yada" spiel. I ask them to compare it to another new unit. Luckily there was an identical 2021 parked right near my bike. They start that one up, let it warm up, and then I start my bike up. BOTH of them then agree, my bike is making much more noise. The service manager opens a work order and tells me he will contact Kawasaki to see what they want to do, then he will let me know. I just got off the phone with the dealer, and Kawasaki told them to have me continue riding the bike and when the 600 mile service is due, they want the dealer to check the drained oil for signs of metal! If there's excessive metal then they would authorize a tear-down to find out the problem!!! WTF??? I would think they would want the problem identified and fixed as SOON AS POSSIBLE instead of waiting for something to fail in a catastrophic way. The service manager kept assuring me that Kawasaki would repair it under warranty if anything happens. Easy for him to say, I bought a BRAND NEW bike, not a "rebuilt" one, which is what I would have if the engine decides to let go.

I have video of the engine noise when cold, and when warmed up. you can clearly hear the difference!

I like to hear some opinions on whether I should keep riding it or start the futile fight with Kawasaki!

Here's a video of the bike cold and then warmed up. The left side is warmed up, the right side is cold. Hopefully the link works! engine videos

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Well, unfortunately, it's quite unlikely Kawasaki is going to just toss in a new engine because you pound your fist and yell. ;)

I bought a brand new pickup truck some years back. Transmission failed at around 200 miles. I sorta did the same thing, bitching it's a brand new truck, I don't want a reman tranny.

Well, I got a reman tranny. I still have the truck and at ~230k miles on the clock, perhaps half of it pulling a 8x16 enclosed trailer, the reman tranny is just fine, never a single lick of trouble with it.

Doesn't make you happy about the situation, I know, but it is an anecdote that it can still end up OK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, unfortunately, it's quite unlikely Kawasaki is going to just toss in a new engine because you pound your fist and yell. ;)

I bought a brand new pickup truck some years back. Transmission failed at around 200 miles. I sorta did the same thing, bitching it's a brand new truck, I don't want a reman tranny.

Well, I got a reman tranny. I still have the truck and at ~230k miles on the clock, perhaps half of it pulling a 8x16 enclosed trailer, the reman tranny is just fine, never a single lick of trouble with it.

Doesn't make you happy about the situation, I know, but it is an anecdote that it can still end up OK.
Frankly I’m more upset about the whole “let’s see what the oil looks like in 600 miles “ attitude. Why not get it looked at now before it’s a huge problem that leaves me stuck on the side of the road somewhere? I guess it’s easy for them to say, I’ll be the one making the phone calls for the trailer to come get it, not them. So much for looking out for your customers. SMH

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Frankly I’m more upset about the whole “let’s see what the oil looks like in 600 miles “ attitude. Why not get it looked at now before it’s a huge problem that leaves me stuck on the side of the road somewhere? I guess it’s easy for them to say, I’ll be the one making the phone calls for the trailer to come get it, not them. So much for looking out for your customers. SMH
Nothing anybody can say except "here's a different new motorcycle or different new engine" will make you happy. I get it.

But, at 65 miles, if it was bad enough to be a relatively imminent failure like you are afraid of it probably would already be dead or at least progressively getting worse in short order. And, since it's not, or at least seems not at this point, it's unlikely the oil will show much if anything except what may be flushed out of any new engine on a short change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a brand new 2021 Vulcan S on 9/29/21. One week later I take it back to the dealer because of a valve-tap like noise the bike started making after it warms up. (It sounds normal cold) My bike only has about 65 miles on it at this point. The service manager and another of their techs listened to it, and at first I get the old "It's a Kawasaki, they all make noise, yada, yada, yada" spiel. I ask them to compare it to another new unit. Luckily there was an identical 2021 parked right near my bike. They start that one up, let it warm up, and then I start my bike up. BOTH of them then agree, my bike is making much more noise. The service manager opens a work order and tells me he will contact Kawasaki to see what they want to do, then he will let me know. I just got off the phone with the dealer, and Kawasaki told them to have me continue riding the bike and when the 600 mile service is due, they want the dealer to check the drained oil for signs of metal! If there's excessive metal then they would authorize a tear-down to find out the problem!!! WTF??? I would think they would want the problem identified and fixed as SOON AS POSSIBLE instead of waiting for something to fail in a catastrophic way. The service manager kept assuring me that Kawasaki would repair it under warranty if anything happens. Easy for him to say, I bought a BRAND NEW bike, not a "rebuilt" one, which is what I would have if the engine decides to let go.

I have video of the engine noise when cold, and when warmed up. you can clearly hear the difference!

I like to hear some opinions on whether I should keep riding it or start the futile fight with Kawasaki!

Here's a video of the bike cold and then warmed up. The left side is warmed up, the right side is cold. Hopefully the link works! engine videos
I have a 2021 KVS and your engine sounds like mine so I don't know what the problem is...but then again, I don't know much. Started riding it in August, put on 4000km already w/ no issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I took in my 2010 for service I mentioned the infamous "kawa tick" and was told my bike is actually on the quieter side for a Kawasaki, even brand new ones. When they start up the new ones they have to prep the customer for the noise because they fear the customer will think it's defective.

I have no clue why they would continue with an engine that was so loud. I'm used to it now but it took time to adjust.

Anywho, sorry to hear about the noise and I agree it should be inspected now but sounds like there isn't much you can do. Hurry up and get those 600 miles on her and get it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I took in my 2010 for service I mentioned the infamous "kawa tick" and was told my bike is actually on the quieter side for a Kawasaki, even brand new ones. When they start up the new ones they have to prep the customer for the noise because they fear the customer will think it's defective.

I have no clue why they would continue with an engine that was so loud. I'm used to it now but it took time to adjust.

Anywho, sorry to hear about the noise and I agree it should be inspected now but sounds like there isn't much you can do. Hurry up and get those 600 miles on her and get it back to the dealer.
Sorry,friend,but Unfortunately these kaw 650 twins Are noisy-I've literally tryed ALOT of different oils;everything from semi synthetics to Full synthetics,in hopes that 1 day this noisy motor will quiet up-NO SUCH LUCK/also,when I @1st brought it too Many mechanic's,&not too mention Where I bought it,EVERY1,INCLUDING MY TECH/MECHANIC tells me thats just the NOISY FUEL INJECTOR'S!!?!!-As much as I hate too say it=GET USED TO IT:( These kaw 650 motors are Pretty Darn'd durable,Just Noisy,&I've got almost 40,000 miles on my 4 yr.old '17 ol dog-HOPE YOUR RIDE GETS BETTER:) RIDE SAFE&KEEP THE RUBBER ON THE ROAD:)-By the way,Just as Noisy as the day I Bought it-lol:)
;):cool::):geek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds like mine, which is 2015 and 13.000km.
The more I think about it,almost sounds like you're oil pump is'nt workin up to par? Also,I gotta say,my bike is *Usually quiet on start up,but after warm up,the clutches tend to 'rattle a bit' too-'Seriously hope your new motor is ok:)
:unsure:;):geek::cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
The more I think about it,almost sounds like you're oil pump is'nt workin up to par? Also,I gotta say,my bike is *Usually quiet on start up,but after warm up,the clutches tend to 'rattle a bit' too-'Seriously hope your new motor is ok:)
:unsure:;):geek::cool:
I haven't noticed any issues with it, but I don't have enough experience to compare.
When I start it cold it's revved up to 2k but after 30-40 seconds it goes down to 1k or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts