Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out in the garage this morning just piddling around. Happened to notice the front rotor on my 900 Classic had a wear line about in the middle of where the pads press on it. So, took a closer look to see if I might have a brake pad issue. WOW! One of the bolts that holds the caliper on had come out and was long gone. The caliper had rotated so that only a portion of the pad was pressing on the rotor. Will need a new bolt. The caliper was almost touching the rim.

Then, I was walking back up the drive and noticed a gray "smudge" on the rear tire. Looked closer. A nail was in the tire and bent with about 1 1/2" laying on the tire. Will pull the nail out shortly and see if it got the inner tube. If it did, I may decide to go darkside now, rather than wait for the tire to wear out.

Not real happy to have these issues, but glad I didn't have them on the road.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Mmmmm, not a great way to start the day out. OTOH, it's a good thing to take frequent looks at your bike, because it's so easy to just get on and ride without checking it out. Too easy to miss important stuff like you describe. Hope you get it all fixed quick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gods must be partially smiling on me. I pulled the nail out. A 3" framing nail. But, it must have gone in parallel to the tread. Checked the tire with soapy water and no air coming out. Can only guess it didn't go all the way through the tire and into the tube. Will keep my eye on it over the next couple of days.

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK!, time to give my bike a good look see.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thanks for the reminder....time to give my bike the complete once over too....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't know if I would have caught this in a walk-around, but as I was cruising down the highway my left front turn signal dropped from the light bar and was hanging by the wires. Fortunately the bolt was still in the hole and I was able to reinstall it there on the side of the road.

Point is - check even the small stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Then, I was walking back up the drive and noticed a gray "smudge" on the rear tire. Looked closer. A nail was in the tire and bent with about 1 1/2" laying on the tire. Will pull the nail out shortly and see if it got the inner tube. If it did, I may decide to go darkside now, rather than wait for the tire to wear out.

Not real happy to have these issues, but glad I didn't have them on the road.
Wow, very lucky about the nail. I finally decided this weekend to install "Ride-On Tire Protection" for a little piece of mind. Also balances the tire. We'll see how it works over time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
224 Posts
at least it didn't cause any problems while you were out on a ride or road trip and it was in the garage when you noticed it to avoid a tow from somewhere

·
Registered
122 Posts
We had a young lady riding with us this weekend, her front axle nut came off and she ran get Harley into a ravine, luckily she wasn't hurt to badly..

Definitely makes me think a bit more about giving the 9 a once over on a regular basis.

Sent from my HTC Evo4g.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts