1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I don't have anything to hide, but I don't think I would be going through with that. Make you wonder what their motivation is to go to such lengths to get people to participate in a "voluntary" tests.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
+1 to SWVA 08v2k
nothing to hide, I am ready to leave or are you holding me against my will?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Politics aside; the purpose of that study was to determine how many drunk drivers are on the road. Drunk drivers tend to try to not get caught, and police officers don't pull over sober drivers who aren't violating traffic laws (er... well not always). So, say you've had a drink or two. You aren't drunk, but surely there's that thought that maybe, possibly, sort of, potentially you're over the limit. Or at the very least, you'd rather be on your way. A bunch of uniformed police officers with flashing lights ask you for a voluntary, anonymous blood sample? Yeah, right. Scientific research is supposed to be done with as little uncontrolled variables as possible. There are so many flaws in this 'study'! A simple, anonymous research study asking your height, weight, age; and how frequently you drive after drinking any amount of alcohol and how much alcohol that is (even if it's one glass of wine or whatever). You can then accurately estimate their blood alcohol level AND get genuine responses, because you aren't a police officer, and you aren't pulling them over mid drive. And on their lunch brake? Most drunk drivers are in the wee hours of the morning; how many drunk commuters are they going to find in the middle of the day? This sounds like a HORRIBLE study that is very flawed.

If they are paying $50 for blood how about paying $50 for a quart for blood to give to the nearly-always short blood banks.

Also; and this is as political as you're going to get out of me- but nothing to hide doesn't mean I consent to search! I don't have anything illegal in my home but you'd need a warrant to come in. Not trying to be a pain in the butt; but it's my home and it's a pretty big inconvenience to have a bunch of strangers rifling through my belongings wasting their time. Same with invasive and uncomfortable things like a blood sample or DNA swab. Just my $0.02. Always amazes me watching COPS (the TV show) and watching people WITH something to hide consenting to search because they think it'll help them get away with it somehow? It's 10 at night, you've got crack in your purse; as much as I want you to get busted- how dumb do you have to be to consent to search in that situation? Ask for a warrant (Or say nothing at all and if the officer searches anyway without first arresting you then any public defender can get that thrown out). Yes, the officer will probably just arrest you and search anyway; but what is gonna happen if he finds the crack? LOL!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure it's gonna be $8,000,000.00 well spent.:rolleyes: Right!!??

I've got nothing to hide either.
But, I read somewhere once that we were supposed to be '...secure in our persons, houses, papers and effects...'.
Oh well, I'm sure this is for our own good.

Scott

It's 10 at night, you've got crack in your purse; as much as I want you to get busted- how dumb do you have to be to consent to search in that situation?
I really like the ones that are driving with no insurance, a headlight out, expired inspection sticker, shattered back glass covered with a trash bag, suspended license, open container AND STILL thought it was a good idea to transport copious amounts of drugs.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm sure it's gonna be $8,000,000.00 well spent.:rolleyes: Right!!??

I've got nothing to hide either.
But, I read somewhere once that we were supposed to be '...secure in our persons, houses, papers and effects...'.
Oh well, I'm sure this is for our own good.

Scott

I really like the ones that are driving with no insurance, a headlight out, expired inspection sticker, shattered back glass covered with a trash bag, suspended license, open container AND STILL thought it was a good idea to transport copious amounts of drugs.

Is anyone really surprised? Have we not been watching what has been going on in our national government for the last few decades much less the ramped up intrusions into our personal lives by the current administration.

Natural selection baby, mother nature at work.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is anyone really surprised? Have we not been watching what has been going on in our national government for the last few decades much less the ramped up intrusions into our personal lives by the current administration.

Natural selection baby, mother nature at work.
Many many moons ago; my Father in law would often tell me that we were losing our freedoms.
One by one, giving them up freely so that we didn't have to be bothered with running our own lives.

He would say that I wouldn't be able to recognize the country by the time I was his age.

I used to think he was a cynic.

Scott

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
"Many many moons ago; my Father in law would often tell me that we were losing our freedoms.
One by one, giving them up freely so that we didn't have to be bothered with running our own lives.

He would say that I wouldn't be able to recognize the country by the time I was his age.

I used to think he was a cynic.

Scott "

I remember my mother and father having a similar conversation when I was about nine years old aprox. 1964. Desegregation was in full swing( I think the Boston busing riots were going on at the time or had just happened), and the anti trust suits against the big national companies were working there way through the supreme court. My father who was about 30 at the time said all of these changes are going to make it harder for poor people to get out of poverty. The big companies would be forced to take there manufacturing off shore and the public school systems would suffer. The man was mutch smarter than I was at 30.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
H*** No! And, I'm a PT cop. Just one more step towards total government control. I'd also refuse to work any detail that included doing that. BIg Brother Keep Out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts