Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2012 Nomad
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode around for about 2 hours today trying to find someone that would do a state inspection.
All my usual places said they stopped inspecting motorcycles
Anyone else run into this in North Carolina or other states?

· Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
I to found my inspection station in Monroe will not do motorcycle inspections. Went to a local repair shop in town and fella said no problem. Handed him my registration with the mileage. He did his paperwork and never looked at the bike. Go figure?

· Registered
2021 Vulcan Voyager
370 Posts
I have had no problem getting inspections here in Texas.
That said, someone here told me that any state licensed inspection station cannot refuse to do a motorcycle. It sees that here it is an all or none situation.

· Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
266 Posts
What type of inspection are we talking about? Are we talking a safe to ride bike and that it rides and works like it should? Or are we talking output emissions like a sniffer test?

When I find a bike that has no title and not federal safety sticker, I have to do extra paperwork. When I am ready to put the bike on the road, I put the bike on a trailer and take it down to the police station. They look over the bike, make sure it is road ready and they sign the form with the name and badge number.

This is Wisconsin though.

· Registered
2012 Nomad
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
North Carolina has an annual basic safety inspection that your vehicle has to pass in order to get your registration and tag renewed.
They check brakes, lights, horn, tires, etc. Some counties require emissions tests if that county's air quality is low.

In years past I have had no issues get an inspection. But it seems the state wants stricter measures such as the inspector must drive the bike into the bay and it must be parked inside the bay for the inspection. Half of the inspection stations are quick oil change stations and don't have a solid floor bay to drive a bike into.

· Super Moderator
2,995 Posts
Emission inspections in Atlanta metro, but not for motorcycles. We don't even have to get the emissions check anymore being over 65, driving each vehicle less than 5000 miles/year, and having vehicles 10 years old or older.

· Registered
2012 Nomad
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally, I don't have any issue with inspections.
I think it helps to keep everyone safe.
It seems in my area it will be harder to find someone who will do them for a motorcycle.
The state of NC sends undercover inspectors around occasionally to the inspection stations.
If the inspection station is caught willfully violating the law they are fined and can have their license pulled.
The lady that did my inspection didn't ask to ride my bike into the bay but she said she was supposed to. (she is not a MC rider) So i can foresee a lot of problems for bike riders. She said most bikers don't want someone else riding their bike which I understand. If she had asked to ride my bike into the bay I would have to ask her if she was an experienced rider. That could get weird.

· Super Moderator
2,995 Posts
We dont have inspection here at all, but
Sabre-t - I'd say that the over 10 year vehicles ARE the ones that need to be checked. Politics at work!
You are correct, but it's only for folks over 65 and driving few miles. Still better than all of the states that have no emission checks for any vehicles.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
We dont have inspection here at all, but
Sabre-t - I'd say that the over 10 year vehicles ARE the ones that need to be checked. Politics at work!
Depends on your politics I suppose.

I suggest old(er) people driving old(er) vehicles are less able to make potentially costly repairs or buy a newer vehicle.

If it was inspect older vehicles only it wouldn't be hard to spin that as those big, greedy companies ( ;) ) colluding to force you into a new car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts