Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(EDIT, I DID FINISH THE PROJECT, MINUS PAINT)

First of all, I haven't done it yet and I don't have the fairing in my hands yet, its on its way. I've got a 13 nomad 1700 that I bought a tsukayu gps fairing for: ( Tsukayu Fairing, Hard Saddlebags and Touring Trunk ) and I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the crappy single button controller that comes with it (I have a similiar non gps fairing on my 900 classic and I've broken the button 3 times now)

I'm thinking seeing as my bikes cousins the vaquero and voyager have radios and stock controls on the handlebars, somebody out there is putting aftermarket radios in them and programming the stock controls to them. sure enough quick youtube search and I found a couple people who have.

Has anyone here changed out their stock radios and tuned them to the stock controls?? I know it only marginally helps me as I won't have the same radio as any of ya'll but I'm interested in hearing what your experience with it has been.

end all be all, I'd like to change out my left hand control for a vaquero's and program them to my fairing. Of course I'll be posting updates to this as I progress with the project.

and Before anyone says it, I don't like fixed fairings is why I didn't buy a vaquero to start with haha.

thanks y'all

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So as promised if anyone is interested. I installed the fairing on my nomad. It still has to go in for paint but it's all wired in AND it works. I don't know if anyone else out there actually has the blind/dumb OCD & ambition that I do to put this kind of time into making it look stock, but here's how if you're out there

Firstly, differences between Nomad and Vaquero controls :
1. Nomad has 1 connector for the left hand controls - Vaquero has 2 : I had to unpin the connectors and re-pin the nomad connector housing onto the vaquero controls, easily done with a paper clip, obviously leaving out the radio control wires. NOTE: aside from the radio wires, nomads and vaqueros have the exact same number & color wires in the left hand control.

2. Vaquero control housing is longer, BUT it does clear the tank in stock bar position

3. The horn is in a different position, but still easily accessible, even for my little hands. haha

Secondly, wiring the fairing to the controls: INITIAL NOTE, TEST IT BEFORE YOU SOLDER AND HEAT SHRINK IT

1. DO NOT ORDER THE FAIRING WITH THE TSUKAYU CONTROL, SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR BUYING THE VAQUERO CONTROLS, YOU DON'T NEED IT, you're welcome, from someone who wasted the extra 150 to find out.

2. I included a picture of the vaquero schematics right from the manual, as well as a schematic of how I wired it to the fairing. 9 switches --> 6 wires. thanks kawi for that. long and short of it. 3 in and 3 out. each of the 3 going IN, go to a different switch (volume, seek, and "cb") then the 3 going OUT, come from each of the possible positions (left, Right, and center). dilemma: how to make the fairing recognize the 9 different positions.
What I ended up doing is putting a resistor on each of the 6 wires (except 1 see diagram) so that no matter what button you push and no matter the direction the resistance going to ground is different. On my fairing I have 2 "key studies" (steering wheel control circuits) NOTE: The current radio tsukayu is selling in this fairing has 2 steering wheel circuits, you can use both. also the radio has an internal steering wheel control learn system (there's a menu to learn what buttons are for what, caveman easy to setup) See diagram for exact specs that I used (resistors cost me $12 and came in a pack of 1480 pieces, assorted resistances)

3. The way I did it is I left the OEM wire loom on the controls alone, ran the wiring down into my headlight bucket like OEM controls would've so it looks stock, and that's where I spiced into the radio control wires that I left out from re-pinning the connector. then I ran them back out of the headlight into the fairing, heat shrank them and called it a day, easy peasy and looks pretty close to OEM design.

Is this the only way to do it? probably not... but is there an easier way, I doubt it.

20200127_064003.jpg 20200127_064011.jpg received_546147212716129.jpg received_592669451465875.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts