Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a used 1700.
I've sat on the Voyager and it feels perfect for me.
Can't find any 1700 Nomads within 200 miles of me.

Just not sure if I need/want the fairing and trunk.
From what I've seen it seems they are the exact same bike except the fairing and trunk.
Anybody sat or rode both to confirm?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The fairing and trunk are the obvious things. The powertrain/frame/mechanics is the same. It's the other added-on "stuff" that's different. IE: Sound system, guages, etc. There's quite a bit that's upgraded but not the basic bike. I have the Nomad and have ridden the Voyager. In some ways I prefer the Nomad, in others the Voyager. But, I guess that's true with everything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Carguy
That's what I was looking for.
Mainly interested in the seating position. The Voyager I sat on at the dealership just fit me perfectly as far as seating position. Wouldn't need to change handlebars, risers, seats, etc.
I believe in that respect both bikes are the same as far as I can see.
I looked up part numbers for the frame, seat, handle bars, gas tank, etc and they all appear to be the same. Dimensions all appear to be the same.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you like the Voyager but don't want the trunk pack, look at the Vaquero. The Nomad/Vaquer/Voyager trio share the same mechanicals, so it comes down to the creature comforts like wind protection, storage, and stereo. For me, I prefer the look of a bagger compared to a full dresser, so I had the Vaquero.

-John

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you like the Voyager but don't want the trunk pack, look at the Vaquero. The Nomad/Vaquer/Voyager trio share the same mechanicals, so it comes down to the creature comforts like wind protection, storage, and stereo. For me, I prefer the look of a bagger compared to a full dresser, so I had the Vaquero.

-John

I like the Vaquero but I'm an old geezer and tend to like the chrome details on the Voyager/Nomad better.
I agree you can't have too much storage space. I like the bags and trunk .
I just need to be able to drive both and see if they handle any differently and find which one I like best.
I'm pretty much sold on either the Voyager or the Nomad.

I appreciate all the feedback.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Was looking at a voyager,coming from a 900 classic which I loved but wanted a bigger highway bike,looked for a while and came across a 1700 Nomad,compared both for my needs,,realized more is not always better,bought the Nomad,No regrets whatsoever,put 10k on it,tires, oil changes,is all I have done,4 years and counting,,,ohhh headlight was my fault I believe,Freakin Awsome bike wife loves the Ride,had 958 miles on when bought for 7500,was at Harley shop,
traded in for a new Glide,Hope he's happy,I am!!!😀

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in the same boat as revrider. Presently have a Yamaha V Star 950 Tourer. Love the bike. Only problem is it's buzzy at 65 mph and up (too high RPM). Would like a bigger bike with 6th gear that is good for longer rides.
The Nomad or Voyager looks like a good fit for me.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm in the same boat as revrider. Presently have a Yamaha V Star 950 Tourer. Love the bike. Only problem is it's buzzy at 65 mph and up (too high RPM). Would like a bigger bike with 6th gear that is good for longer rides.
The Nomad or Voyager looks like a good fit for me.
Agree w ya ,900 was buzzy too,If you don't need all the bells and whistles on the voyager,then the Nomad would be a good fit,I do have a Memphis fairing,makes the buffeting almost gone,Have the oem shield but prefer the Memphis,the heat isn't bad at all,know kawi made improvement in later years w the voyager,the cc and sixth gear is a huge plus,hope this helps

·
Registered
56 Posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2020
I have the voyager 1700 full dress, I do a lot of traveling with my wife and I need (she need a lot of storage) and personally I love the windchill it make for a more comfortable ride a highway speed specially when riding near an 18 wheeler it keep the bike more stable just because of the windchill is mounted on the frame no on the fork like the Harley,I have a lot of friends with full dress Harley and they all complain of there bikes checking a lot when riding near truck or head wind

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2020
I have the voyager 1700 full dress, I do a lot of traveling with my wife and I need (she need a lot of storage) and personally I love the windchill it make for a more comfortable ride a highway speed specially when riding near an 18 wheeler it keep the bike more stable just because of the windchill is mounted on the frame no on the fork like the Harley,I have a lot of friends with full dress Harley and they all complain of there bikes checking a lot when riding near truck or head wind
Sounds like your wife is like mine. Wants to take everything but the kitchen sink.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Vaquero is Spanish for 'cowboy'. I just couldn't ride a cowboy. I'm not Va-queer-o.
Wow, how mature. SMH

Hey irving - for your buddies who ride Harleys, HD makes a Road Glide Ultra, which is a full dresser with a frame-mounted fairing like the Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero.

-John

·
Registered
56 Posts
they already have pay $30000.00 dollar for there ultra limited motorcycles, I do not think that they will change them I guess they like the shaking and vibrating that comes by owning a Harley it does not mater what model it is and we have about 70 people on our group

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
they already have pay $30000.00 dollar for there ultra limited motorcycles, I do not think that they will change them I guess they like the shaking and vibrating that comes by owning a Harley it does not mater what model it is and we have about 70 people on our group
I have to respectfully disagree with your statement of shaking and vibrating. For my 2019 FLHXS (Street Glide Special), it doesn't seem to shake or vibrate any more than my Vaquero did, unless EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management System) is activated, in which case it shuts off fuel to the rear cylinder, using it as an air pump to keep the engine cool, which I think is a good thing and a trade-off for those times I'm stuck at a longer light.

When EITMS is disabled, the bike is much smoother, and overall it's a ton smoother than my wife's 2013 Sportster 1200 Custom.

All that said, I miss my Vaquero sometimes, because it was a beautiful bike and I had paid it off. The Harley does make all the right noises, though, and has been my dream bike for many years.

I can't wait for warmer weather so I can ride my KZ650SR some more... and I may sell my VN800B that I bobbed out. Only time can tell! It was my first bike, so it was a lot of sentimental value for me.

-John

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree with your statement of shaking and vibrating. For my 2019 FLHXS (Street Glide Special), it doesn't seem to shake or vibrate any more than my Vaquero did, unless EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management System) is activated, in which case it shuts off fuel to the rear cylinder, using it as an air pump to keep the engine cool, which I think is a good thing and a trade-off for those times I'm stuck at a longer light.

When EITMS is disabled, the bike is much smoother, and overall it's a ton smoother than my wife's 2013 Sportster 1200 Custom.

All that said, I miss my Vaquero sometimes, because it was a beautiful bike and I had paid it off. The Harley does make all the right noises, though, and has been my dream bike for many years.

I can't wait for warmer weather so I can ride my KZ650SR some more... and I may sell my VN800B that I bobbed out. Only time can tell! It was my first bike, so it was a lot of sentimental value for me.

-John
Hi John I understand that some HD shake more than other, but any time that I have been at a stop light, I can see the vibration and shaking on them ,yes I agree that they sound really good, but is no way to compere the smoothness of a Kawasaki any model and the HD it is a reason why the HD engines are mounted on big rubber mounts, to help with the shaking and vibration,my voyager is really smooth and is not vibration and I can see thru my rear view mirrors at any speed , I pay 17000 dollar brand new out the door for my VV, HD 28, 30 thousand they use to say to me, we let any body in (that was because I have a Kawasaki )and I use to say to them, yes you guys got smart , because now you have some body to tow you out when your bikes break down, I use to say that as a joke,but after a few years Is real, some of them have newer HD bike than my VV and they have break downs and the older ones well a lot , knock on wood my I have never have a problem on the road

·
Registered
8 Posts

-John
I don't like the bags on the Vaquero I wish they would have put the Voyager bags on them

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi John I understand that some HD shake more than other, but any time that I have been at a stop light, I can see the vibration and shaking on them ,yes I agree that they sound really good, but is no way to compere the smoothness of a Kawasaki any model and the HD it is a reason why the HD engines are mounted on big rubber mounts, to help with the shaking and vibration,my voyager is really smooth and is not vibration and I can see thru my rear view mirrors at any speed , I pay 17000 dollar brand new out the door for my VV, HD 28, 30 thousand they use to say to me, we let any body in (that was because I have a Kawasaki )and I use to say to them, yes you guys got smart , because now you have some body to tow you out when your bikes break down, I use to say that as a joke,but after a few years Is real, some of them have newer HD bike than my VV and they have break downs and the older ones well a lot , knock on wood my I have never have a problem on the road
My HD is a 2019 if I hadn't mentioned that already, but at idle there is very little vibration - I can see through the mirrors. Sure, there's some shaking, but it's not much more than my Vaquero had. At speed, the mirrors on the HD are more stable than my Vaquero, too, and I had that bike from new.

Yep, there's a huge price difference between Kawi and HD... and there's things about both that I like. Glad your Voyager is working out well for you - my Vaquero treated me fine for 12k miles until I wrecked it, then it was never the same. My HD-riding friends never turned me away from joining them either.

-John

1 - 20 of 30 Posts