Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 180/65r16 metzeler 888 should be here tomorrow anyone with a nomad mount one of these yet I'm vet disappointed i. The 8000 miles the oem Bridgestones gave me anyone know what kind of mileage I can expect outta this new style metzeler

·
Registered
636 Posts
The tire you are putting on is a Radial and the stock front tire is a bias ply. Unless your changing the front tire I would not mix the 2 tires.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've never heard that you can't mix the two? Why is that I've done it on other bikes and never had a problem? I'm going to replace it soon anyway it is also going downhill fast its the fastest over ever seen a front tire wear

·
Registered
636 Posts
My dealer will not mix them. Says its highly dangerous. I put michelin commander 2 tires on mine after the stock tires were shot. 14000 miles on them and still look good. Stock tires only lasted me 6000 miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
My new 180/65r16 metzeler 888 should be here tomorrow anyone with a nomad mount one of these yet I'm vet disappointed i. The 8000 miles the oem Bridgestones gave me anyone know what kind of mileage I can expect outta this new style metzeler
No good news to tell you. My LAST M/T was the ME880. Hope the 888 will do better for you.
I didn't even get 6000 miles on it. My bike is heaver than yours but that shouldn't make any noticeable difference.
This is one reason I went to the Dark Side.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Happy to say I just turned over 50,000 miles on my 2011 Voyager ABS. I'm on my second Dunlop American Elite 180-65 16 rear tire. The first one I got 23,000 miles out of it. This one has 18,300 on it and still looking good. The stock tire had about 8,000 on it. Take a look at these tires guys, it's a great tire!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the same ME 880 on my 1700 Nomad. No better mileage then the stock. tire. I went back to stock the last time. I have Michlien ordered now. I sure hope they do as good as everyone here is reporting.
By the way I used Metzler 880 on my 1500 and got around 12,000 out of them.

Bill

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Well I've never heard that you can't mix the two? Why is that I've done it on other bikes and never had a problem? I'm going to replace it soon anyway it is also going downhill fast its the fastest over ever seen a front tire wear

If you never noticed a difference in the ride quality with mixing radial and bias tires on the bike, then you might as well go darkside on the rear. You probably won't notice a difference and rave about going darkside.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Lots of people say you can't mix them but nobody seems to have a reason or know why. I read somewhere that some bikes come from the factory mixed? I've also read that it's not a big deal on motorcycles like it is for cars? I've ALSO read you'll die in massive explosion the very second you even THINK about mixing them.

It's almost as bad as the darkside discussions :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 888 is new and its supposed to beat the 880 by like 20 or 30% more miles who knows if I don't get atleast 15000 outta this I'm going to dunlops newest tire can't remember the name right now but its made for big cruisers, heard reports of people hitting 20000 or more on it with full dressers. I wouldn't buy the michelins ever again 8000 outta mine and it never really handled as well as this 888 I can kill corners now the michelin never felt this stable in corners and the front needs to be switched out now too gonna throw another 888 on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts