Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2011 Nomad a few weeks now. I have noticed that it puts off a lot of heat to the driver when riding, much more so than my previous bike. Is this a trait of this model? I live in deep south Alabama and went riding this morning when the Ambient temp was about 92 and it was a baking little ride. Is this normal.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Normal. Once you're moving, it cools off. A good tuner will cool the engine off too. These bikes are notoriously lean, and that causes heat. Adding fuel cools the engine off. I get better mileage and cooler engine with my tuner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tuner?

Normal. Once you're moving, it cools off. A good tuner will cool the engine off too. These bikes are notoriously lean, and that causes heat. Adding fuel cools the engine off. I get better mileage and cooler engine with my tuner.
A good tuner? Excuse my ignorance but what is a "tuner"?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Wrap the pipes! Can't stress enough how well it works.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
A good tuner? Excuse my ignorance but what is a "tuner"?
A tuner tunes the computer for the bike. I use the EJK. The power commander is best, but also a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
580 Posts
A tuner is an aftermarket box that plugs into the bike's computer. It also ties into the bike's injectors and throttle position sensor, It reads it's settings off of a map that you load into it which has fuel settings for all speeds and throttle positions. It basically just makes adjustments to the bike's stock fuel settings, adding or subtracting fuel according to the map you load into it. There are also units that will auto-tune the bike so that it runs just like your car, it automatically keeps your AFR at a certain ratio so you just ride it and don't have to worry about different maps, etc. Check out Dynojet PCV.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Wrapping the pipes with this stuff will reduce a lot of the radient heat.

If you're not mechanicaly minded you should have someone else do it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
What was your previous bike?

What are you wearing while riding?

Look how close the engine is to your thighs.

I rarely ride my 1700 during the summer. It is a great fall, winter, and spring bike though.

Oh, and a tuner doesn't tune the bike's computer. It overwrites the output from the computer to the fuel injection, tricking the bike. Not the best way, but other than reverse engineering the computer code, the only way.

Harley and Victory reprogram the computer for aftermarket pipes and intake.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
Another good addition is heat deflectors... Check out the following website...

index.html

RJS Originals V-Twin heat deflectors... the website only references Yoyager and Vaqueros but they will fit Nomads. They just don't have any Nomad pics to put on the site. I have a set on my Nomad and they really help. They make enough difference I almost took them off last fall when it got chilly out just to get some engine heat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
answerss

Thanks for thee answers guys. I previously had a Suzuki Marauder. I wear jeans when I ride.

If you wrap the pipes with that stuff won"t that kind of kill the looks..

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Thanks for thee answers guys. I previously had a Suzuki Marauder. I wear jeans when I ride.

If you wrap the pipes with that stuff won"t that kind of kill the looks..
You won't see it at all, unless you look underneath the bike.
The shields cover it up nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
WRAP THE EXHAUST PIPES
You will be glad you did.........................

However not many Nomad owners conmplian about it like all us Voyager owners....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts