Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a 2009 Nomad with about 6k on the clock. I have seen the thread re- under tank wire chaffing, but are there any other issues to consider ? I've also heard that gear change can be 'clunky', is this excessive?
Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The gear change clunk, I think, is a built-in thing on most all the 1700 tranys from what I've read about it. have a 2014 1700 Voyager with just over 1000 miles on it and shifting from 1st to second when cold is a bit clunky.
You'll soon get used to it when you've ridden it a while or really fast when you power through the other gears. :D

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
If it is the red and beige Nomad, you are getting the best color produced. I had one for 6 months. Bought it in '11 and couldn't get used to the speedo on the tank.

The clunk can be minimized by short shifting from 1st to 2nd. It is just a clunk, no a grind so no worries.

Take it for a ride and make sure everything works including the cruise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is the Red & Beige.
I had a Honda FC Valcrie which was also clunky. Honda stated that due to the torque on a big engine going thro' the gear box, the gears are cut ' square', as this gives greater strength than helical. Hence a more agricultural change. After a while of course you don't notice it.
Can you please tell me, do the panniers detach?
Thnx

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, it is the Red & Beige.
I had a Honda FC Valcrie which was also clunky. Honda stated that due to the torque on a big engine going thro' the gear box, the gears are cut ' square', as this gives greater strength than helical. Hence a more agricultural change. After a while of course you don't notice it.
Can you please tell me, do the panniers detach?
Thnx
i got the voyager but panniers should be the same a couple ao 10 mm bolts hold them on
,dosnt take long to take then off
had to remove to clean up spilt milk when i didnt secure it one trip home

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx for all your advice. I am situated in the UK, but I think the spec. is the same world wide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts