Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally done it, mounted nomad hard bags on the V2K. Picked them up a couple of months ago for $100.00, included chrome tube type top bag guards. The bags are a little scratched but not bad. Also lowered the trunk 2", looks better and also lowers the center of gravity a bit. Installation was fairly simple using the Kawasaki saddlebag mounts, just had to make new spacers to accommodate the trunk mounts. Was worried that they would look to high with the stock mufflers but to me they look great. Going to the body shop for paint tomorrow, will send pics when remounted with fresh paint.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple of pics with the bags mounted, they are in the paint shop now, will be painted solid red like bike. The locks were missing when I picked up the bags, dealer ordered them in and rekeyed to the ignition key. After lowering the trunk the licence plate does not fit in the factory location above the taillight so will have to build a new mount in between the signal lights. Me and the wife, ( she rides a stratoliner ), do two 8000km trips a year to the states and a few long weekend trips around western Canada so am looking forward to the added storage,,, and the looks !!

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
Sweet looking scoot. What type of rack are you using for the Tourpak? I'm thinking of adding one, already have it, but would like something that sits low like yours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trunk and mount are from Premeux in Quebec. The mount was originally for my 2007 Nomad but works on the V2K quite nicely, they may make one specifically for the V2K but I found it easier to build different spacers than try and get an answer from Premeux because of the language barrier. The quality of their products though is superb. Like the way your bags sit, would have liked to mount mine that low but could not bring myself to change the stock exhaust, I like the sound.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That's a great looking sled. V2K nomad.

What I would like to mount in my Beast is a Nomad Sissy bar and passenger backrest, the kind with the grab bars.

Has anybody attempted this???

I know holes do not match but the design curves of that grab bar keep catching my eye.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Couple of pics with the bags mounted, they are in the paint shop now, will be painted solid red like bike. The locks were missing when I picked up the bags, dealer ordered them in and rekeyed to the ignition key. After lowering the trunk the licence plate does not fit in the factory location above the taillight so will have to build a new mount in between the signal lights. Me and the wife, ( she rides a stratoliner ), do two 8000km trips a year to the states and a few long weekend trips around western Canada so am looking forward to the added storage,,, and the looks !!
Know its a while ago but did you use the Nomad top brackets on the bags? How did you support the bottom of the bags?

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Know its a while ago but did you use the Nomad top brackets on the bags? How did you support the bottom of the bags?

Cheers
Nick
I did not use the bottom or top mounts from the Nomad. Found a set of Kawasaki mounts for the V2K on ebay, they came from Ontario. Drilled 4 holes in the side of the Nomad bags and bolted the bags to the new mounts. Load them up pretty good and they have not cracked or given me any problems, have about 20,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did not use the bottom or top mounts from the Nomad. Found a set of Kawasaki mounts for the V2K on ebay, they came from Ontario. Drilled 4 holes in the side of the Nomad bags and bolted the bags to the new mounts. Load them up pretty good and they have not cracked or given me any problems, have about 20,000 miles on them.
Awesome! Thanks for the quick response as well.

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
860 Posts
Now that somebody revived this thread I got to show my adaptation of Nomad sissy-bar/grab-bars to my V2K.

20170717_200701.jpg

The side pieces matched the locations for the stock screws but the fender is different width so the backrest frame did not fit right away. I had figure I was gonna adapt so this was not as hard as if the holes in the side pieces had not lined up. So I had to grind the welds from the plate the cushion attaches to to and then cut the pipes that come down from the backrest in order to widened the frame back and reconnect to the sissybars.

20170718_144512.jpg

here is the result

You can see the black marks that look like insulating electrical tape covering the re-weld where I cut the pipes. I ended up painting the logo black to match the Darkside theme of my V2K.

A few months later I managed to work on the seat to eliminate the studs (not into them) and make room for my Mustang rider backrest.

Over all was an easy adaptation and I love the way it looks and the way it improves the ride comfort for my wife. Easy enough to take off for my solo rides.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks good. Nice job on the fit up too.
Im in Australia and its very difficult to locate a backrest, especially in Perth.
Im just about to buy myself a VN2000 but need to know the width that the backrest brackets need to be where they bolt to the guard.
In millimetres if possible.:)
Anyone help?

Or do you know of another model that may fit? ( a little closer than the cut and weld job above though)

Cheers

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm not sure what exact dimension you need, so I'll send the width at the fender for starters. My confusion comes from the fact the support system for most passenger backrests are made of several parts and the design of any of them affects the width or measurements of the remaining connections. I will post as soon as possible.

Measuring width from contact point to contact point on the other side before installing the supports, on the front screws the width is 330 mm and on the rear is 315 mm
I believe the Nomad these supports came from has more of a straight rear fender, the V2K fender slims down toward the back so the result is that the width of the actual backrest support is too wide for about an inch.
Most aftermarket sissy bar supports I found were just chrome plates and therefore way too simple for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts