Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been done by a few guys, so i thought id join the group.
i hated the looks of the small leather studded bags that came on my bike.
my dad has a 99 Nomad, and ive always been in love with his bags.
i searched and searched for aftermarket bags, but nothing caught me eye.
i was still drawn back to the Nomad bags every time.
i bit the bullet and bought a used set off ebay, and got them painted.
i LOVE how they came out.

i cut down the spacers on the new brackets to suck the bags in even closer.
they would have been out another inch or so if i hadnt done so.
since i cut them down so far i did have to do a slight amount of bending on the
left side bracket to make it match up with the right side bracket

heres how she was

the bags when i got them

Fire & Steel mounting brackets

had to drill a new rear and lower mounting hole, but utilized the front one.
just bought black nylon plugs and siliconed them in to fill the old holes

·
Registered
578 Posts
Love it! Now if I could just find a reasonable priced set that doesn't have road rash all over them.

What mounting brackets are used? Nomad brackets or something special?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love it! Now if I could just find a reasonable priced set that doesn't have road rash all over them.

What mounting brackets are used? Nomad brackets or something special?
Thanks Dave! Here's a link for the brackets I used.
They were the cheapest I could find for these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Vulcan-2000-VN2000-Black-Saddlebag-Support-OEM-Genuine-K53021-106-CO-/201260868104?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AKawasaki&hash=item2edc152208&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
578 Posts
Are those flat steel ones required to mount the Nomad bags. You can't work with the factory leather, LT type tubular brackets?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are those flat steel ones required to mount the Nomad bags. You can't work with the factory leather, LT type tubular brackets?
You could probably use the factory tube ones, but in my opinion, they hold the bags way too far from the bike. Even these did before I cut down the spacers on them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Gotcha ya. Just trying to get it all straight in my head before I dive into it. Love the look and its less than half the price of a set of Corbin beetle bags.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Nice work! The bags look really good on the bike!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Looks great! I really think that the V2K not having a proper touring model was a major snafu on Kawasaki's part.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotcha ya. Just trying to get it all straight in my head before I dive into it. Love the look and its less than half the price of a set of Corbin beetle bags.
I'm not sure if I'd say quite half the price, but they're to only ones that look right on he bike on my mind. So I didn't mind paying to get what I wanted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent! The Nomad bags look great on your V2K. The best of both worlds. How much did you pay for the used bags?
I paid 375 for the bags. They were a little scratched up, but that was fine because I knew they would be getting repainted. Only had to replace a 6 dollar latch for the lid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I paid 375 for the bags. They were a little scratched up, but that was fine because I knew they would be getting repainted. Only had to replace a 6 dollar latch for the lid.
Great deal on the bags and they look awesome. I just removed my LT bags to clean them and they look smaller somehow after seeing your Nomad mod. :D

I checked Ebay and the Nomad bags are going for more now. The ones in that price range are roached out. Cracked, handles busted, etc. Will wait and see.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That's cheap. Everything I'm finding is $600+ and they are still scratched or cracked. What are the outer dimensions?

I like the look and size of the Mutazu RS bags too, but am not sure of the quality.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's cheap. Everything I'm finding is $600+ and they are still scratched or cracked. What are the outer dimensions?

I like the look and size of the Mutazu RS bags too, but am not sure of the quality.
Yea it's pretty ridiculous how much some of the Nomad bags are going for. I spent more and ordered new trim pieces for them too. The 3 silver stripes on each bag. The old ones were a little beat up, and I knew I'd be really disappointed if I had the bags painted and beautiful and have those stick out like a sore thumb. The new ones are on in the picture. You don't even want to know how much those cost.....

I can't speak for the quality of Matuzas bags. And as for the dimensions, I'll try and grab some rough numbers for you this week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice looking bike. Them bags look like they belong. Just sprung for jumbo Strongs for mine. Got about another 2 or 3 weeks for em to show.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts