Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 nomad 1700 with 5800 miles. I was wondering what you guys do for a seat. I am good in the stock seat for about an hour maybe a little more. Then 10 minutes off will get me another 30-45 minutes. How do you guys do them all day rides??

Options I have thought about. Air hawk, sheepskin cover, send the seat to Spencer in Florida and have him work his magic, or a new seat. Wouldn't a different seat change the riding position if so how?? So what has worked for you?? Other then buying a Russell day long.

Ok the other problem I have is the dash light puts a glare on the windshield at nite. It is very distracting/blinding. I did put a speedometer cowl on it. It helped some but something else needs done. Been thinking about changing the lamp in there. The 900 lamp is a different color. The nomads is a bright white. How hard would that be??

The 3rd issue happened today my cruise stopped working. I could turn it on and off but I could not set it or resume it. So when I stopped to get fuel I bought some wd40 only thing they had. Sprayed it in there to help flush it out. Well it started to work again. So is there a better way to clean that? Will I be fighting it from now on??

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
The cruise control I can't help you with, never had that problem. As far as seats, well you will probably get as many recommendations as there are members on this site. Each having what works best for them. I would suggest trying several different ones before buying one or having your current seat redone. Mustang has worked the best for me on my last 2 bikes. The dash light is an issue. I also put a cowling on and hoped it would help. It didn't. After trying a couple of different things, I finally came up with cutting a piece of thin plastic off of the back of one of those clear front report covers kids use to protect their assignment papers with for school. I cut it to sit the inside of the cowling and put Velcro on one side of the plastic and on the inside of the cowling. This way I can take it off when I don't needed it and put it on at night when I do. I basically made my own removable visor extension. Hope this helps. If you need photos send me a PM.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The Russel Daylong is the only saddle I've ever seen EVERYONE love, for all day riding, etc.

I like my Mustang seat. A little uncomfortable and sore but bearable and rideable. The only seat cover I ever found to do anything was the Airhawk.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
on the nomad, look into the ultimate seat. You can use the stock passenger seat with it and they are really comfortable.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Edited for hayes and OP....

I've got Russell seats on both my Voyager (duel) and Classic (smaller passenger). Pics available in my Garage Photos. Both bikes have Mustang seats as their back-up (the original seats were modified by Russell). The Mustang was a lot more comfortable than stock and felt very much like the same riding position as stock. They were not what I would consider soft.

One other note, I did not like the one-piece build of the Mustang. On both bikes, they are more difficult to get on and off than the stock two piece design.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a still new in the plastic Kaw OEM gel seat for that bike that might help .. it didnt fit my big frame too well as i am over 6 foot and 265...hurt my tail as it is firmer.. better for lighter guys i am sure...so i went back to the softer factory... not spendin the dollars on anything else right now.. let me know if you want to try it and i'll make you a deal

woodthumb
2013 nomad

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Edited for hayes and OP....

I've got Russell seats on both my Voyager (duel) and Classic (smaller passenger). Pics available in my Garage Photos. Both bikes have Mustang seats as their back-up (the original seats were modified by Russell). The Mustang was a lot more comfortable than stock and felt very much like the same riding position as stock. They were not what I would consider soft.

One other note, I did not like the one-piece build of the Mustang. On both bikes, they are more difficult to get on and off than the stock two piece design.
Sorry if I was short in my response. I was using my iPad and it's really hard to complete thoughts.

I would love a Russel, but I can't justify the cost.

To the OP: I had a Mustang on my 900, and you can't go wrong with it. I had the Ultimate on my VN2K and I loved it. I liked the shape of the Ultimate more. For the Nomad, I am going with the Ultimate because I can buy the front section for 315 bucks. I don't like the one piece design of the Mustang. I have no rhyme or reason for that dislike. However, the cost is the ultimate choice for me (see what I did there? :grin2:). At 700 for the Mustang vs. 315 for the Ultimate, the choice is too easy. Since I don't have a passenger on a regular basis, I don't have any concern with changing out the passenger seat yet.

I had the stock seat modified, and I really don't like it. In order to get my butt more room, we removed some padding. This pushed me back enough to put the passenger seat in my back. It is great and theory, and I know a lot of people who have had luck with it, but I didn't like it and it doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Only reason for other then the russell day long was I figured that would be the main response.

Hayes who did your seat mod?? I been thinking about sending mine to Spencer. 100 bucks both seats plus shipping cost.

I had a mustang seat on my 9 as well I was never sure if I liked it. I never felt like I sat on it the same way twice. Somedays I could ride for hours other days 30 minutes was more then enough. I am not sure I like the one piece design for the nomad. I feel the stock nomad seat is about as good as the mustang seat was on my 9.

Woodthumb. I am about the same size as you 6 foot and about 245 of raw muscle (right) Is it just the drivers seat or do you have the passenger as well? Pm me with pic and price I might try it. If the price is right.

I think the options are down to a Russell day long, ultimate seat, or Spencer seat mod. Has any one tried a corbin??
Wish there was a place near me where I could try them all out.

I am going to try out nomad2010 suggestion for the dash lite. Sounds like a good idea

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Mine was done locally by bitchn stitchn

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, the seat I am also looking for an alternative. The glare in the windshield I was able to fix with a window tint. Just enough to cover the km digits down but not covering the informations. Looks dark but i can clearly see the tip of speedometer and the mph digits. At night it work fine. Maybe go to a car tinting shops and buy a 12x12 inches so when you make a mistake, you have spare to cut again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi gpm

Can you spell out exactly what you did to help eliminate the glare with tinting? Also what is a spare 12x12 tinted ? Glass? Plexi? Lexan?

Thanks,
WEG

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Regular Walmart window tint should be fine. That's a good idea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It was actually a tint for house windows I bought in Home Depot and I used the left overs. It is like a plastic film and after installing it in my bike, it got rained and nothing happened. I thought the automotive car tint might be better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used a small can and traced it to the film and cut. Place the can first in your dash to see how it will look. Then if you think it is good, cut and clean the surface so you can squeeze the bubbles out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I am not sure what I want to do about the seat yet. I been emailing about modifying the stock seat. I think I would prefer to stay with a 2 piece design. Not sure why but I just like it for some reason. So that leaves the Kawasaki gel seat, Ultimate seat, RDL, or mod the stock seat. I am really leaning towards giving Spencer's seat mod a try.

I wondered if they make a tinted cling then you could put it on and off as needed. Wonder how that would work. I can see automotive tint getting beat up. its made to be on the inside not the outside.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Magic-Insta-Cling-Jumbo/dp/B000EBKG9A

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just an update. I bought some of that tinted window cling. I think it will do the job. Easy to put on at night and simple to take off during the day. The 5% is a little dark. You can not see the gauges at all during the day with it on but at night you can read them. I also tried the 20% it does the job to. You get a little glare but not bad at all. Wish I would have done this before I bought the expensive cowl. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts