Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a noise(sounds like engine area), only happens in 3-5 gears. Only happens when on the throttle, letting off it goes away. I had the noise and added the cam shaft chain tensioner extenders. Still there, no change. I am thinking maybe the chains are too stretched. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
152 Posts
If it was engine noise, you should hear it in every gear, possibly even neutral or clutch pulled in. This seems like drive train issue.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Describe the sound best you can. Noise from the trans could possibly sound like it's from the engine sometimes. what specific model/miles do you have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2001 nomad FI. 45,000 miles. The noise sounds like metal slapping metal quickly(hope that makes sense). Noise starts in 3rd gear but not that metal sound, more of a hum which sounds like it's coming from the front. 4th gear low RPM is when the metal on metal sound starts, if I crank up the RPM it goes away. Same in 5th gear. If I let off throttle it quits, or if I wind out the gears. Very confusing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
How long have you had this scoot. Mine is an 05 with 17k on it, does some nearly identical stuff. I almost don't notice it anymore. Is your oil and filter good?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got bike a few weeks ago. Oil level is good. I was going to change oil and filter but wanted to wait to see if I had to tear into engine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would say change the oil first. If you are doing it yourself, make sure to follow owner's manual instructions but try to catch some of the first pint or so that comes out on a shop rag and shine a light on it to see if there is a lot of metal or debris. Check the old filter to. If you don't see much, I wouldn't worry too much. It seems like these engines have some quirky noisy ness to them. A lot of guys here have commented on a noisy 1500 that is also bulletproof. I have all but gotten used to mine, although that radio with the Cobra pipes brings more welcomed noises to distract me from it ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on lubing everything and making sure it is solid. This noise is bothersome, I will find it. FYI, what radio do you have?

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you're that determined, maybe your noises are worse than mine. I bought it with an added batwing. It came with some no name brand aquatic 6x9 speakers and a sony head unit (I wasn't impressed). I put in the JVC unit I had in my truck, it has HD Radio and better built in amplifiers. Sounds awesome now. It's not a marine radio though, so if it breaks on me (again) I got a nice but affordable marine bluetooth unit picked out to replace it with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts