Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 900 Classic with V&H pipes and even with earplugs I find my ears ringing when I get off the highway. I don’t know whether even going back to the stock is going to be enough. I want to be able to do some considerable touring. I’m a small guy (5’6”/136lbs), so I’ fine with the power of the 900, but I’m wondering if I should go to the 1500 just to get sustained highway speed without my ears ringing. Any input wouldbe appreciated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Curious about this. My wife thinks my 900 is too loud.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you're liking at doing a lot if highway speed travel, apparently, the way to go is to swap pulleys. I haven't done it on mine. Honestly, I probably won't. However, it's supposed to bring the engine speed down considerably. Changing the exhaust note is a side effect of that, I imagine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you're liking at doing a lot if highway speed travel, apparently, the way to go is to swap pulleys. I haven't done it on mine. Honestly, I probably won't. However, it's supposed to bring the engine speed down considerably. Changing the exhaust note is a side effect of that, I imagine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can get baffles for V&H. I put mine in for longer rides and group rides, but can take them out in about 30 minutes if I want it to be louder.?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get baffles for V&H. I put mine in for longer rides and group rides, but can take them out in about 30 minutes if I want it to be louder.?
So the V&H quiet baffles work well at highway speed? I've heard they didn't make much of a difference, but I'd love to hear that they do.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
From your profile pic, it doesn't look like your using a windshield. If you're not wearing a Full Face Helmet, you may find it's the wind that's causing your ears to ring. I rode my 900 Classic for 10 years with a half helmet and stock pipes. I'd estimate that about a third of the miles were sustained 70 -80 mph cruising and never had ear issues. The few times I pulled the windshield off (dropping it off at the shop) I found I couldn't ride for more than about 30 minutes before my ears would start ringing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From your profile pic, it doesn't look like your using a windshield. If you're not wearing a Full Face Helmet, you may find it's the wind that's causing your ears to ring. I rode my 900 Classic for 10 years with a half helmet and stock pipes. I'd estimate that about a third of the miles were sustained 70 -80 mph cruising and never had ear issues. The few times I pulled the windshield off (dropping it off at the shop) I found I couldn't ride for more than about 30 minutes before my ears would start ringing.
Thanks, SteveJB. I've always worn a full face helmet, and on my last trip I put on a small windshield. When I ducked into it, I could hear how much of a difference it made. That said, I was wearing ear plugs, too, and the ringing is mainly, if not exclusively, on the right side. Maybe I just need to go to the stock pipes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks, SteveJB. I've always worn a full face helmet, and on my last trip I put on a small windshield. When I ducked into it, I could hear how much of a difference it made. That said, I was wearing ear plugs, too, and the ringing is mainly, if not exclusively, on the right side. Maybe I just need to go to the stock pipes.
What year is your 900? I have stock pipes off my 16’ 900 sitting in garage in perfect. They only have 4K miles on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Reactions: JerseyJK16

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s a strong possibility. Thanks. Any idea how much you’d want for them? Please feel free to message me if you’d prefer that venue for this discussion. Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't even hear my stock 900 Classic LT engine over the wind nose. I was recently at an ENT for an unrelated appointment and he saw my helmet and laughed, "I'll see you soon for your hearing loss!". I told him I wear ear plugs and he said it doesn't matter. The wind noise is transferred through the helmet and your bones. He treats a lot of motorcycle riders with hearing loss. Seems to me the only way to combat this is with good fairings. I also wear ear plugs and it does cut it down...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can't even hear my stock 900 Classic LT engine over the wind nose. I was recently at an ENT for an unrelated appointment and he saw my helmet and laughed, "I'll see you soon for your hearing loss!". I told him I wear ear plugs and he said it doesn't matter. The wind noise is transferred through the helmet and your bones. He treats a lot of motorcycle riders with hearing loss. Seems to me the only way to combat this is with good fairings. I also wear ear plugs and it does cut it down...
What helmet did he suggest for noise cancellation?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update. I had my mechanic install Vance & Hines quiet baffles today. I actually made a big difference. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much quieter it is. On the highway, the wind noise is considerably louder than the exhaust. Wind protection will be next, and if I need more noise control, I may look into the Sena INC Pro noise cancelling helmet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had just happened to have commuted to work with 50 minutes of 75mph. I had adjusted the windshield to max height which helped but I don't like looking thru the windshield. I lowered it a couple notches and the noise increased, mostly from buffeting from wind coming up past the tank. I can toggle it by blocking with my hand so some fork fairings may be in order. I also experimented with helmet angle. I have a Shoei RFSR and angling my chin further down eliminates a ton of turbulence therefore noise. I could actually get the wind noise down to about the same level as engine noise.
The chin curtain made a huge difference also before all this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the V&H pipes on my 2012 for a couple of years, and yes they are loud, about 100db at mid revs. So I tried adding some muffler wadding this week, between the baffles and the skin. Not much difference in volume, now about 95db, but a deeper tone so not so intrusive. The main irritation is not having O2 sensors so it does pop on the overrun. Planning on fitting some mounts to see if that will reduce that element. Ultimately V&H tend to be loud, although the VN is louder than the 1200 Sportster that also has them. I have resigned myself to this, as I am not up for another big bill to replace them, and I think the neighbours have as well. Maybe I will try the quiet baffles as they are somewhat affordable, just the hassle of getting the old ones out!

At least the car ahead can’t say they did not hear me coming!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts