Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if this was a normal noise or something I should be worried about. When slowing while in gear I get a whu whu whu sound ( sorry best I can explain it ) It seems to be coming from the or transmission area.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if this was a normal noise or something I should be worried about. When slowing while in gear I get a whu whu whu sound ( sorry best I can explain it ) It seems to be coming from the or transmission area.
The gear noise you hear is normal. The traditional straight cut gears (lower set in photo) create that signature quick-change whine. Helical cut gears (top of photo) make less noise. The Vulcan uses straight cut gears. I have read for racing a straight cut gear gives much less friction and power loss and a quicker shift. Second picture is photo of Vulcan gearbox. I am not a Motorcycle mechanic so this is the best explanation I can give you.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response. I am glad the noise is normal well would rather it wasnt there :D .

·
Registered
269 Posts
As someone who has just went from a Honda to a Vulcan this was great to know! Was wondering the same thing myself.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Two years into owning my nine....I have come to realize that Kawi made/makes the noisiest, clunkiest, whirring, popping, clicking, TICKING, scuffing, rubbing, rattling machines on the road. To say it has "character" is an understatement. I love the bike, and ergonomically speaking, it fits me like the proverbial glove, but, have no doubt....it has got to be the most "unrefined" cruiser out there.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
As someone who has just went from a Honda to a Vulcan this was great to know! Was wondering the same thing myself.
I'd be interested in your thoughts comparing the Honda to the Vulcan....after you own the beast for a while.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The gear noise you hear is normal. The traditional straight cut gears (lower set in photo) create that signature quick-change whine. Helical cut gears (top of photo) make less noise. The Vulcan uses straight cut gears. I have read for racing a straight cut gear gives much less friction and power loss and a quicker shift. Second picture is photo of Vulcan gearbox. I am not a Motorcycle mechanic so this is the best explanation I can give you.
Nice......... less friction = less wear, no? I'll take the noise anyday.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Two years into owning my nine....I have come to realize that Kawi made/makes the noisiest, clunkiest, whirring, popping, clicking, TICKING, scuffing, rubbing, rattling machines on the road. To say it has "character" is an understatement. I love the bike, and ergonomically speaking, it fits me like the proverbial glove, but, have no doubt....it has got to be the most "unrefined" cruiser out there.
+ f'n 1. My wife's new Shadow has smoother shifts, no engine noise, has great-sounding exhaust, and will run 3 blocks with the fuel petcock in the "off" pos (not pertinent, just interesting). But despite all that, I'll take my noisy, clicky, ticky, whirring, whining Vulcan any day of the week.

Plus that Shadow ain't got no damn fuel gauge. Whose idea was that?!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd be interested in your thoughts comparing the Honda to the Vulcan....after you own the beast for a while.
Not sure it would be a fair comparison as the Honda was a 750 Shadow vs this beast of a Nomad. I have just been on this forum a few days and it seems this may be mostly for Vulcan 900's which would be a fairer comparison to the Shadow. Fit and finish on my Honda and my Vulcan were/are good but I do have to say the Shadow had much less clunky shifts and no transmission noise. The big Kawa makes the chain noise the Shadow made seem minor. With that said somebody told me once you break the 1000 CC barrier you will have a hard time going back and i can see why.

·
Registered
152 Posts
With that said somebody told me once you break the 1000 CC barrier you will have a hard time going back and i can see why.

is that wife size or motor size HAHAHA

·
Registered
269 Posts
With that said somebody told me once you break the 1000 CC barrier you will have a hard time going back and i can see why.

Well as they say more cushion for pushin! LOL!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
wds, the only answer to that kinda question is... yes! only the correct size is 2k.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had both a 1100 cc Shadow and a new 1800 cc Goldwing. I love the light weight, better fuel mileage, and the floor boards on the 900 LT. My biggest gripe is the transmission noise. But if it don't break I can live with it!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well said silenthill. Once you get used to all it's farting you do get a proverbial glove feel. It is like driving a 911 Porche, noisy but feels great.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree its a noisy beast, but a motorcycle shouldn't sound like or drive like a car. I love my 09 Classic with all of its noises, feels and sounds like I'm driving a motorcycle which is exactly what I wanted when I bought it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I must say the noise relay hadn't bothered me. I just wanted to be sure it was a norma Vulcan noise.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello everyone,

I know that sound DW, my 07-900 classic developed the same just lately, the bike has only 18000ks so I doubt it is something wrong, actually it sounds a bit like "moaning" and yes I realize by saying that some of you guys will start joking about it as there is a lot of humour on this forum, but I will just put it down as the bike enjoying me riding her...It will go for the 18000ks service on monday anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I know that sound DW, my 07-900 classic developed the same just lately, the bike has only 18000ks so I doubt it is something wrong, actually it sounds a bit like "moaning" and yes I realize by saying that some of you guys will start joking about it as there is a lot of humour on this forum, but I will just put it down as the bike enjoying me riding her...It will go for the 18000ks service on monday anyway.
Let us know what mechanic says the noise is all about?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Definitely let us know if they have anything to say about the noise during your checkup.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
If the drive belt is too tight, which seem to be typical for Kawasaki's assembly plant, the bike will have a deep whirring sound on deceleration. It can get quite loud depending on the speed of the rear wheel. This is not to be confused with the sound of the gearbox and it's straight cut gears.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts