Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you put your bike on a stand, start it and put it in gear and let it turn the wheel, should The internal chain be making noise?

May be dumb question, but sometimes I'm dumb.

I also developed a noise while riding this weekend. (long ride) and I thought it was maybe the belt "chirp" that people describe. But; in the last 100 miles it is getting louder. That is why I Put it on the stand today. From the side of the bike, I don't hear the chirp that I heard while riding, but; then heard the chain. It's possible that was what I was hearing with the helmet on and going 60 mph. Sounds different when standing next to it, no wind and no helmet.

Ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had the same issues on my '07 v2k. Thought that it was the front and or rear roller bearings, and a member in another forum suggested spraying some poly silicon on both sides of the belt. I did and the noise is now gone! You might want to give it a try!

Thank you!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
noisey little buggers they are.

If you put your bike on a stand, start it and put it in gear and let it turn the wheel, should The internal chain be making noise?
dadio, primary chain may exhibit some noise when not under load. with your wheel off the ground there is no load on the motor and you get noise from the whole transmission plus the primary. I expect there to be an automatic chain tensioner under that cover but have not studied that yet. need to look at an exploded view of the parts. Normaly, there will be some very minor chain play and that contributes to the noise. When under load the chain is taugt and should be quiet. I think most chain driven primary's have this characteristic... some, many jap (roadstar)(hondas?) have gear driven primaries and don't exhibit this chatter.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
dadio, primary chain may exhibit some noise when not under load. with your wheel off the ground there is no load on the motor and you get noise from the whole transmission plus the primary. I expect there to be an automatic chain tensioner under that cover but have not studied that yet. need to look at an exploded view of the parts. Normaly, there will be some very minor chain play and that contributes to the noise. When under load the chain is taugt and should be quiet. I think most chain driven primary's have this characteristic... some, many jap (roadstar)(hondas?) have gear driven primaries and don't exhibit this chatter.
Thanks.

Does the belt chirp that people describe come and go? Not steady in other words?

Belt seems tight enough...

Also, does speed seem to make a difference? On mine I hear it more at slow speeds. Again, this just started Saturday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just had the same issues on my '07 v2k. Thought that it was the front and or rear roller bearings, and a member in another forum suggested spraying some poly silicon on both sides of the belt. I did and the noise is now gone! You might want to give it a try!

Thank you!
My dealership recommended using a Belt Conditioner. I haven't used it yet, but will soon. How did you get access to the belt on both sides. Do you have to remove anything, or do a little at a time. Haven't looked at it closely, but the only access I see is at the rear wheel.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
bear it up

How did you get access to the belt on both sides. Do you have to remove anything, or do a little at a time..
gerbils, use a lift and spin your rear wheel. makes it go more ez'r.
there are fellas here that make thier own lift with 2-2x? and 4' pipe. or <$100 you can buy a nice mc lift and do most all your own work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts