Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new back in 2006 a Vulcan 2000 Classic Lt. about 6 months after owning it the thing developed a little squeak, at first I could not tell where it was coming from but after a while it seems to be from the rear of the bike and when it decides to start sounding off " its loud". The dealer has looked at it 3 times and can not find the problem. I told them you have to ride it for at least an hour or so and it will start squeaking, well they kept it for 4 days and nothing, said they bled the rear brakes, I went to pick it up and seen on the odometer it was ridden approx. 4 miles. I called KZ customer service and the made note of it all 3 times and told me after the warranty runs out they would not leave me hanging should they (dealers) find out what it is. The told me to spray some silicon up toward the primary and on the belt this last time, (today) which I will do in the morning, however I have noticed my rear wheel is extremely black with brake dust and the squeaking rode home with me for about 60 miles or more. Could it be the brake caliper is not releasing due to hot weather and hot roads causing the fluid to expand? This is the only problem I have had with this bike since I have owned it. Has anyone else had an issue like this. Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
I bought new back in 2006 a Vulcan 2000 Classic Lt. about 6 months after owning it the thing developed a little squeak,Could it be the brake caliper is not releasing due to hot weather and hot roads causing the fluid to expand?
My experience tells me that it probably is the rear brake pads dragging a bit too much against the rotor. When the bike is making this noise carefully check the temp of the rear rotor. If its really too hot to put your hand on then that's the cause of the noise. Modern brake fluid has to get near its boiling point to expand enough to cause this and water in the fluid won't cause this before you would notice it (the brakes are real spongy). Most likely another cause like the brake arm position bolt is causing the excess drag. Or your resting your foot against the brake arm. But if the rotor isn't really hot when this noise is being made then it won't be in the brakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My experience tells me that it probably is the rear brake pads dragging a bit too much against the rotor. When the bike is making this noise carefully check the temp of the rear rotor. If its really too hot to put your hand on then that's the cause of the noise. Modern brake fluid has to get near its boiling point to expand enough to cause this and water in the fluid won't cause this before you would notice it (the brakes are real spongy). Most likely another cause like the brake arm position bolt is causing the excess drag. Or your resting your foot against the brake arm. But if the rotor isn't really hot when this noise is being made then it won't be in the brakes.
Thank you very much for your reply, I am going to ride the bike today around the county I live in and If the noise sounds off I am going straight to the dealer and demand they do something about it. I hate to think that the rear brakes could freeze up on me and cause an accident. Thanks again.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply, I am going to ride the bike today around the county I live in and If the noise sounds off I am going straight to the dealer and demand they do something about it. I hate to think that the rear brakes could freeze up on me and cause an accident. Thanks again.
If not that, then, the belt is likely the culprit...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They, both the dealer and Kawasaki had all this down shortly after the problem first appeared which was a few months after I bought the bike new. Each time I took it to the dealer for the problem which I explained to them was intermittent and for them to keep the bike and ride it, even if meant for a week whatever it took to find out the problem. Both the dealer and Kawasaki have said all along,"if we can not find the problem after the warranty runs out we will not leave you out to hang if it persist". Taken right off the work order. Today I called the dealer and wanted to bring it in for the problem, AGAIN, the extended warranty ran out April 13, 2010, both dealer and Kawasaki said sorry the warranty has ran out, should we find the problem you will be responsible for the bill. Needless to say I had a few words for them, I then went to anothser dealership 80 miles away, purchased a new brake caliper and pads, replaced them myself and so far no squeaking. This is the 3rd set of rear brake pads on the bike since new and it has 19,920 miles on it, all along I feel it was the caliper not releasing. So much for customer service. I will keep the bike because its a very nice machine but it will be the last Kz. I will ever purchase. Thanks to you guys for your input.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Sad to say, but these days, if you don't have it in writing you ain't got $hit.

If you like the bike, don't pluck out your eye to spite your face because your experience with an intermittent problem and out of warranty probably would be the same with any mfg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats just it

Sad to say, but these days, if you don't have it in writing you ain't got $hit.

If you like the bike, don't pluck out your eye to spite your face because your experience with an intermittent problem and out of warranty probably would be the same with any mfg.
Yes but when they write on the work order, "problem not found, however customer assured should problem exist and found after warranty expires problem will be taken care of since reported since purchased." It seems from what the dealer told me after I purchased the caliper the other day that if they could have seen that the caliper was not releasing they would have fixed the problem. I once again told them, an extremely hot rotor which is has been discolored, 3 sets of brake pads and excessive amounts of brake dust should have told you something." Anyway I like the bike enough to keep it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I'd take that piece of paper and talk to the dealership owner. Their service department shouldn't write stuff like that if they don't intend to stand behind it.

FWIW, since the work order is a dealer document they're the ones that would/will have to stand behind it, or work with Kawasaki internally to get a policy adjustment. The dealer has no authority on behalf of Kawasaki to imply an extension of warranty for a problem, pre-existing or not.

We have dealers that try this same sort of thing (write up a work order for a problem "it's been like this since new...") and try to push it through warranty, after warranty has expired, like the open work order is some sort of get out of jail free card. Depending on the situation we may pay for it, but NOT through warranty. Warranty ends the day the policy expires, there is no gray area here it's black and white.

Policy adjustments/customer good will are a completely different thing and have nothing do do with warranty. You're better off knowing this difference and speaking in the correct terminology to the dealer because they're 100% correct to say warranty has expired. It's up to you to ask for customer good will/policy adjustment.

If the dealer principal won't stand behind what his service department wrote I'd be looking for a different dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd take that piece of paper and talk to the dealership owner. Their service department shouldn't write stuff like that if they don't intend to stand behind it.

FWIW, since the work order is a dealer document they're the ones that would/will have to stand behind it, or work with Kawasaki internally to get a policy adjustment. The dealer has no authority on behalf of Kawasaki to imply an extension of warranty for a problem, pre-existing or not.

We have dealers that try this same sort of thing (write up a work order for a problem "it's been like this since new...") and try to push it through warranty, after warranty has expired, like the open work order is some sort of get out of jail free card. Depending on the situation we may pay for it, but NOT through warranty. Warranty ends the day the policy expires, there is no gray area here it's black and white.

Policy adjustments/customer good will are a completely different thing and have nothing do do with warranty. You're better off knowing this difference and speaking in the correct terminology to the dealer because they're 100% correct to say warranty has expired. It's up to you to ask for customer good will/policy adjustment.

If the dealer principal won't stand behind what his service department wrote I'd be looking for a different dealer.
Thank you, I will do exactly that, take their work order to them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts