Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search to see if other helmet users have the problem I do and can't find a thing. After I've been riding for 30 - 60 minutes my head starts to itch. I move my helmet around to try and scratch and it just gets worse. I finally just take it off. I want to wear a helmet but not with that kind of misery. It distracts me from my driving. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
197 Posts
That certainly doesn't help when you need to concentrate on the road! Try a dew rag. Maybe your scalp is having an allergic reaction to the lining of the helmet. Or, since the itching starts 30 - 60 of riding, I bet it has something to do with sweat reaction. Try a different shampoo, see if that helps. :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Stupid question,

How long is your hair? Have you tried dandruff shampoo? As Hatchcover already referred to, a couple different possibilities could be in play here.

When I was younger I had an itchy scalp. I joined the Army in 1 986and have had very short hair ever since, and no itchy scalp. That's why I asked about the hair length.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ONLY time my head itches is when I'm wearing a helmet. It's not a dandruff problem. It has something to do with wearing the helmet. I think I'll try a do rag. Thanks for the imput.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it is a stupid question, but it isn't to me. When my wife or kids ask me a question that I think is stupid, I sure don't tell them that. I try and answer the question with grace.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Stupid question,

THERE ARE NO stupid questions!!!!
I was i n the military as well, big deal. Play nice or you will have KP duty this weekend. :)
I don't think he was saying that the OP had a stupid question.

Instead I think he was saying; his question about hair length might sound stupid; which is why he explained how getting a regulation cut helped his itchy head. :)

BTW, Thank you both for your service.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I found that wearing a rag does help, as it absorbs the sweat and covers all the hair instead of just strips of it, as most helmets do.

Now if I can figure out a way to keep my damn nose from itching five minutes after shutting the face-shield! Something about rapid heat buildup ... or I'm just nuts!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Maybe it is a stupid question, but it isn't to me. When my wife or kids ask me a question that I think is stupid, I sure don't tell them that. I try and answer the question with grace.
Fellas, the original question was not stupid, MY QUESTION about hair length was the stupid question. The original question from dldavis48 was a good one. Anybody that knows me (which very few of you actually do) would know I would not intentionally make a rude statement. My fault for not being more clear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I have thought it might have something to do with hair length. My hair is fairly short but not a military buzz cut by any means. I'm going to try a rag.
Sorry if I misread your post KenDawg. It's all good. Kinda cranky today though. 2 people on a Honda crossed the center line just outside of town yesterday. Head on with a pickup, both riders dead.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Dandruff shampoo does more than cure dandruff. It works great if you just have an itchy scalp! I used to be itchy when wearing a helmet, hat, whatever. Started using Head & Shoulders and it kept it from itching! Funny thing is dandruff causes itching, so dandruff shampoos have stuff in them to keep you from itching!

Doo rag, as others have suggested, may help. Also note that one size or one BRAND does NOT fit all when it comes to helmets. Everyones head is different. Try on other brands and sizes and even styles of helmets to find one that is comfortable for you. It may just be a fitment issue!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have no hair - shaved daily with razor (or at least every other), and have the same issue. Tried do rag and found no real difference. Its just something I live with.:glasses-cool:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My wife makes fun of me for wearing what she calls "Head panties" but it keeps me from getting helmet head, keeps my head from itching, keeps my ears from being bent down and pinned against my head, and is really easy to just throw in the washing machine when it's gross. It's the same thing I wore under my flight helmet, for all the same reasons.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Shave your head and see if that helps. If it still itches you know it's the helmet causing the problem. Hair will grow back soon and who knows, maybe you'll like the look.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice, Graybush. I'm a little nervous about what's going to pop up when I google "head panty" though. LOL

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That's not the official name, just my wife's way of trying to ridicule me. She got me a skull and bones dew rag which I'll admit, feels fine and does let more air in around the old noggin, but comes unwrapped anytime I take off my helmet. I like it for long rides when it's really hot, but otherwise I just use the helmet liner, which is the official name of the head panties.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Oh great! I can see Old Bear going from store to store in Clarksville Tennessee asking EVERYONE if they sell "head panties":rolleyes:. Thank your wife Graybush, she's started a motorcycle fashion trend now! I'll bet the harley guys will be laughing their arse off, until they start shopping for some "head panties" with harley emblems on them!
On the other hand, we can tell the harley guys they're called "harley panties" and wait to see what they do with them...:D

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I tried a pair of the ol' lady's panties, but the legs trailing out the back of the helmet kept getting tangled up ... :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts