Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out on my ride today, the turn signals cut out on me. Checking the lights, I found that the hazard lights are not working either. At some point between the intersection of 201 and 148, and downtown Madison, (about a 15 minute ride) that is when they gave out.

Was a dry day. No rain at all. So I do not believe a wet switch housing would be the cause.

A blown fuse? I assume the fuse would be under the seat, near the battery. Any guidance towards helping me find the solution to my light issue is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
My Voyager manual shows the fuse boxes are under the seat. I'd bet yours are too. I tried to copy a pic of the page but I guess I'm not smart enough to do that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rev, if I had my owners manual available, I would have looked it up. Sadly, I cannot find the bloody thing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If the fuse is ok, I'd try cycling the hazard light switch several times with the key in the off position. Then turn key on and see what you have.

·
Registered
323 Posts
As D-dub says. There are 2 fuse boxes under the Nomad seat. Both are clearly marked on the cover what the fuses are for. Beware that I had a friend's bike lose his turn signals. All the fuses looked good so we kept checking for other problems. It wasn't until we started replacing the fuses one at at time that we found the culprit. Even though it looked good, it wasn't.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the fuse is ok, I'd try cycling the hazard light switch several times with the key in the off position. Then turn key on and see what you have.
Tried that. No dice.
As D-dub says. There are 2 fuse boxes under the Nomad seat. Both are clearly marked on the cover what the fuses are for. Beware that I had a friend's bike lose his turn signals. All the fuses looked good so we kept checking for other problems. It wasn't until we started replacing the fuses one at at time that we found the culprit. Even though it looked good, it wasn't.
Gonna try just replacing the fuse with a new one, see if that fixes it. I found the appropriate fuse a bit ago, but it looks fine...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah... I guess I never noticed it there when I took the ECU out to send it to Ivan's, and therefor, did not notice it missing from it's spot when I put the ECU back in. I'm guessing I did maybe a hundred miles before the drive belt did that much damage. Belt still looks brand new, mind you. I bet a chain would have been toast under that kind of abuse.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yeah... I guess I never noticed it there when I took the ECU out to send it to Ivan's, and therefor, did not notice it missing from it's spot when I put the ECU back in. I'm guessing I did maybe a hundred miles before the drive belt did that much damage. Belt still looks brand new, mind you. I bet a chain would have been toast under that kind of abuse.
Dumb question,,,,how did the flasher:surprise: make contact with the belt?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dumb question,,,,how did the flasher:surprise: make contact with the belt?
It is not a dumb question, because if you do not know, it can become a learning experience for ya.

The Flasher unit sits next to the ECU and relay box under the battery box cover. I am guessing it got dislodged from its spot when I pulled the ECU to send it off to Ivan. And I never noticed that it was not where it should be, because, being a relatively new (to me) bike, I did not realize that there was something missing when I put the ECU back in its place. Turns out that there is just enough wire for it to get wedged in there between an opening in the frame and the top of the belt. Worked just fine that way for what I am guessing to be about fifty or so miles. (25 miles of riding first day, 25 miles till unit failure 2nd day) It was while trying to figure everything out, and searching for the flasher with the help of D-dub, I finally noticed it tucked down in there.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its on order. An $80+ item. Think I'm gonna make a holder for it that I can JB Weld to the battery box or something...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts