Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything.

Something has happened to my 2012 900 Classic LT, and I admit up front I am no motorcycle mechanic, so please be patient with me.

Took the bike out this morning, and I accelerate pretty strong getting on the Interstate, so the engine revved up a bit...but nothing big.

But a couple of miles down the road, I need to accelerate to get around a car, so I hit my blinker, check my mirror, start switching lanes, and hit the throttle...and didn't accelerate. The engine revved, but the power didn't transfer to the back wheel.

I spend the next two hours on a combination of backroads and interstate to try it out in every gear. Pretty much is only happening at higher speeds in 4th and 5th gears, when I twist the throttle past halfway. Engine revs and RPM's increase greatly, but there is little to no acceleration. I have to dial it back a little to a very small sweet spot to seem to get the power to transfer to the wheel.

It's like I transitioned to accelerating a large, weighed down truck compared instead to that a responsive sports car.

Or for you boaters...it's eerily similar to hitting the throttle on an outboard when you have the prop to high up...or hit a some mud/sandbar and you are just trying to bog through it.

Very disconcerting not having that responsive power when I need it like you normally get from the 900. Again, at lower speeds and through gears 1-3 I didn't experience it, but 4 and 5 I was getting no torque, no acceleration when I hit the throttle....would have to lumber through high revs just to gain a few mph. You could almost see the gas guage needle just moving to the left I was going through the fuel so badly.

Any thoughts from the experts here? I would appreciate any help/advice I can get. Last weekend I did a lot of low speed u-turn practicing (about 2-3 hours worth), but surely that could not have caused this, could it?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What you describe sounds like your clutch is slipping. When you don't get any acceleration, if you ease off the throttle does the engine seem to "Catch" and act normal again? Any weird smell coming from the engine?

Last weekend I did a lot of low speed u-turn practicing (about 2-3 hours worth), but surely that could not have caused this, could it?
Were you manipulating the clutch a lot?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you describe sounds like your clutch is slipping. When you don't get any acceleration, if you ease off the throttle does the engine seem to "Catch" and act normal again? Any weird smell coming from the engine?

Were you manipulating the clutch a lot?
Just slightly...I get a little better acceleration easing off the throttle...not so much of a catch, just slightly better (but not where it should be).

No weird smell.

The thumb lever on the clutch cable does not look like it has moved at all, but I was doing a ton of clutch work last week on my slow speed maneuvers. It may have moved some...seemed today it was letting out of the friction zone at a different spot than normal, but it didn't seem that much different.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If it were me the first thing I would do would be to check the clutch lever free play adjustment, not the thumb wheel. If that didn't fix the problem I would take it to a mechanic/mechanically inclined friend to get checked.

My 250 is doing what you describe, anytime I really honk on it hard or get it above 70mph or so. Based on what the seller told me about maintenance history, I'm going to change the clutch plates and springs. I just haven't gotten to ride it much lately, which is the only reason I haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For me it sounds like the clutch is slipping. One simple question did you use automotive energy saving oil in your engine? If it is so the additives in the oil is making your clutch disc's to slip. Drop the oil asap. if possible clean the clutch basket with some solvent to get out the slipping agent out. And refill with motorcycle oil and ride it for a 500miles then drop the oil again in order to flush the remaining energy saving agents left behind and hope that it start to function ok again for you.

Regards,

Rafael Maduro

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thank you. I'm embarrassed to admit it was a way-too-tight clutch cable...I didn't even realize there was no give in the clutch handle at all until I went back out and double-checked it. That thing was tighter than my late German grandmother's pocketbook. Had to adjust it down lower first before the handle adjustment would give at all.

I dismissed the idea of it being the clutch when I was riding it just because the only apparent problem to me was that band on the throttle just past halfway.

But now after adjusting it, took it out and realized just how much better all of it is now...not just fixing the problem from earlier. Such a simple fix and I completely dismissed it at first.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Glad you found the fault.
Is your bike due to lube the cables? I know after I lube mine I have to re-adjust with in 10-15 miles

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Glad you found the fault.
Is your bike due to lube the cables? I know after I lube mine I have to re-adjust with in 10-15 miles
+1 on this.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, all...this has been very helpful.

Had the clutch cables lubed in the dealership back in May when I took the bike in for them to do some regular maintenance that I didn't have the time to do myself. They have been known to adjust the cable on me where I don't like it, but I didn't notice it this time. But I probably rode 500+ miles since that service before having this issue.

Just curious...how often do you all lube your cables? Once a year or is it at a certain mileage?

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Just curious...how often do you all lube your cables? Once a year or is it at a certain mileage?
I usually have mine done with each oil change. Might be overkill but better safe than sorry. Now that I plan on doing all of my own oil changes from here on out, I bought a cable lube tool from Phat Performance so I can do it myself.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thanks, all...this has been very helpful.

Had the clutch cables lubed in the dealership back in May when I took the bike in for them to do some regular maintenance that I didn't have the time to do myself. They have been known to adjust the cable on me where I don't like it, but I didn't notice it this time. But I probably rode 500+ miles since that service before having this issue.

Every oil change or twice a year for me. I check the free play once a month if ridden.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts