Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all excited to go find the secret compartment holding my toolkit, but was very disappointed to see that it wasn't there. Guess I'll give the Craftsman spark plug socket a whirl.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I was all excited to go find the secret compartment holding my toolkit, but was very disappointed to see that it wasn't there. Guess I'll give the Craftsman spark plug socket a whirl.
rm,, many new bikes don't come with basic (cheap) tools anymore. 1st, they don't need them. 2nd, cheap tools are cheap. 3rd, they would have to make a special place for them.. as in under a cover that you need a tool to remove so you can get to the tool to remove said cover.. 4th, they don't need them, and what exactly do you think yor going to do to yor bike on the side of the road anyway? If yor either that well versed in that specific bike maintenance requirements, you've either done all your maintenance b4 riding, have collected special (good) tools for the task, and come to the conclusion that the bike doesn't need roadside surgery nor would you ever do it there..
So they saved you a bunch of truble.. or would you just feel better if they gave you a Cheap Tool Kit so you feel protected?

All my latest bikes rite up to $20k hardley ableson did not come with a tool kit.. tho that one could have used a pull behind trailer full of em.. my $25k Injun did come with a very small bag with a special tool to loosen the oil dipstik if somebody numskull overtitened it(?) and a really kool airpump for the single Fox Racing rear monoshock. but that is the only tool kit Ive seen in the last 12 bikes have bought new.

the world has changed, its time we let go of 1950 hardley expectations. poncho

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The OP was pretty clear he had a toolkit location on his bike but his didn't come with one.

The only motorcycle I've bought used was the same way. Someone probably took it out, put it on a shelf somewhere, and forgot about it.

My vaquero came with one. Which is basically a phillips and flathead screwdriver, and an allen key. Not really sure what roadside repair you'd be able to do with that. Now, on the wifes bike, the toolkit makes a little more sense because it includes the allen key needed to remove the seat. Her toolkit is located on the side of the bike. We've used it once when she left her key on in a parking lot and we needed to get to the battery! But what makes even more sense than that is Kawasaki's key-off seat. Although, granted, it's a one-piece seat. On the Honda we could easily remove the passenger seat and add a luggage rack in it's place.

My Vaquero's toolkit is on a shelf somewhere. The bracket that holds it no longer fits due to trailer wiring. But, like ponch said, with that trailer I can pull any tools I want! Leaving Monday morning for a camping trip, trailer in tow, and taking a small DeWalt toolbag with a small socket set, set of allen wrenches, full size phillips and flathead screwdriver, and a foldable lug wrench that will fit the lug nuts on the trailer. Also an extra knife and a flashlight. Anything I can't fix on the side of the road with that I don't need to fix; the cellphone is the real roadside tool of the 21st century! Good roadside insurance, etc. Some carry tire plug kits. But in order for that to work you'd need a compressor too right? Forget it. If I get a flat tire, I've got roadside assistance! I do have a spare tire on the trailer, because that can be changed easily. Bike tires can't (well, unless you've got a BMW adventure bike).

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Meh. The only tools in that kit I found useful was the fork to adjust my spokes and the plug wrench. Otherwise, I put together my own tool kit of metric sockets, some box wrenches, allen wrenches, side cutters, sandpaper, loctite, a vice grip, needle nose pliers, electrical tape, an assortment of fuses, electrical connectors, various sized of nuts, bolts and washers, some screw drivers and that's about it. Enough to do a Rube Goldberg patch job on the side of the road for some things, but like Ponch said, there isn't much one can do beside the road anyway.

Reactions: Roodlux

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the kit is limited, but it would be nice to have the bike complete. That and I'd rather not have to go out and spend money to make my own. But for right now, a spark plug socket will get me by.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
watt does someone want need to pull spark plugs for? on the side of the road? these motors are bilt to 2000+ standards. plugs last 50k+ miles. why would you need to pull em? nothing to see in there. if you had doubts about yor motor b4, why are you riding it in the boonies?

we drive cars n trux. bilt to 2000+ standards. drive em all over the country and world. never give a thot to doing motor work on the side of the road. they don't come with motor tools. most folks wouldn't know what to do with em and theys best off not doin it anyway.
our bikes are not a whole lot different. we just think that we need to be able to "service" them in the most in the boonies local.. if I was to do service on one my bikes, its in my shop where I got tons of tools and :beer: to figure it out. .. roadside, blah! poncho

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'll actually pull them in my driveway. Call me crazy, but when I get a new bike I like to change the fluids and spark plugs so I know everything is in working order.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Reitman, since you purchased a used 1500, I suggest when you perform a few maintenance tasks on your bike (assuming someone else doesn't always do the maintenance), that you keep track of what tools are needed and always have them on your bike. You can't always count on just a couple screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. Specific metric wrenches, sockets, and a drive handle, among others, may be necessary and come in handy one day. Not only tools, but spare fuses, bulbs, and other basic items may one day be needed. Hope you'll never need them, but many of us who ride older bikes have needed them and got us out of a pinch. And yes, even on the side of the road.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
scenario; am riding to work. its 4am, pitch blak dark and not another vehicle on the road or in the county. the motor bike is humming along fine, when do I notice a sputter.? omg. its sputtering! what is going on here?. its got plenty gas..? lites work..?
best pull off the shoulder and chek this out.. coast to a spot under a street lamp mite help. dam buggs are hoverin lookin for a meal. and now yor ther ticket.
let me see, what tools do we have here? a cheap reversible screwdriver, that mite come in handy for something?. how bout these really cheezie pliers good for holding things while you turn that screwdriver and strip the head off fasteners. looky here! thers a spanner for adjusting the shox, mebbe that's the problem why it sputtering? omg, we got us a plug extraction tool. this here pup is gonna make all the diff in the world. pull the wires. rotate them plugs out while theyr good n hot. be sure not to drop them, oops, dammitt, so much for proper gap. why don't they put a gap tool in these cheap kits! but then would I know what or how to set em? so now I got the plugs out and can see inside my motor. got a flashlight? dammit do I got to carry everything! here, light a match. what can you see in there? dammit just dropped the match down that little hole. schitt! well what harm can it do? its not like the bike is running all that good anyway..
hmm, watt could it be?. why is this motor not running rite?.. oh, its not fuel injected? dammit, friggen fuel petcock is off needs be on reserve.. son of a bit...
better put these plugs back in. damm ther hot! now am late for work and buggs are goin to town on you like.. dammitt that plug is too hot and don't go in well, think I just cross threaded it. sob!.
I think I will just call a tow and get this pos off the street so I can get to work and pay to have it fixed.

Reactions: pmassey31545

·
Registered
126 Posts
...Call me crazy, but when I get a new bike I like to change the fluids and spark plugs so I know everything is in working order.
Okay, you're crazy. I guess I am too. :grin2: The tools belong on the bike.

I bought a complete, correct used tool kit from ebay for my 500 and had done the same for several other bikes and cars before (why would they remove the jack and manual?). Not too expensive usually, and if it's not complete the manual shows what all goes in it. The manual is there then? They still sell that as a part from an online dealer. Not too expensive.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Only tool I used out of my 900 kit was the shock adjustment tool. Which you would never need to carry with you anyways. But never the less I still carry basic tools with me along with the oem kit provided. Allen wrench sets (sae and metric), small pocket size volt meter, fuses, wire cutter/stripper, and more) Just for some piece of mind I have a small tool bag strapped under my luggage rack). Things do come loose (ie.. mirrors, foot pegs, thing's I have not previously had a wrench on that don't have Loctite on them).

·
Registered
233 Posts
All my latest bikes rite up to $20k hardley ableson did not come with a tool kit.. tho that one could have used a pull behind trailer full of em.. my $25k Injun did come with a very small bag with a special tool to loosen the oil dipstik if somebody numskull overtitened it(?) and a really kool airpump for the single Fox Racing rear monoshock. but that is the only tool kit Ive seen in the last 12 bikes have bought new.

the world has changed, its time we let go of 1950 hardley expectations. poncho
I laughed like a mug right there. Don't mess with Poncho-I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
233 Posts
To the OP, I just looked in the secret compartment and mine was still there. Needless to say I was very happy. I will probably NEVER use them, but I know what you mean. It just seems incomplete. It's like having a 1980's Transformer and not having his gun-or a late 80's G.I. Joe and not having his back pack. It's just not complete.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I laughed like a mug right there. Don't mess with Poncho-I learned the hard way.
g'head, mess. don't hurt my feelers none. ruffle a few feathers once a while? if we don't stir it up, this these places get so BORING with pure analytic (type C) personalities and dry as bone facts. granted my facts are more rite than yors.. poncho

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
To the OP, I just looked in the secret compartment and mine was still there. Needless to say I was very happy. I will probably NEVER use them, but I know what you mean. It just seems incomplete. It's like having a 1980's Transformer and not having his gun-or a late 80's G.I. Joe and not having his back pack. It's just not complete.
secret compartments are for where you keep your stash.. not yor tools.. ponch being ponch

ps. stash makes you mor happy'r

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
My grandpappy used to drop the oil pan off his model T Ford to put new leather bearings in when she started knockin. Maybe that is what we need to do to these noisy 1700 motors, along side of the road hey Ponch.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
My grandpappy used to drop the oil pan off his model T Ford to put new leather bearings in when she started knockin. Maybe that is what we need to do to these noisy 1700 motors, along side of the road hey Ponch.
Or maybe he had to file down the connecting rod caps to make em tighter agin. I think He used to run shine too and had to change 5 tires between Chi town and home one time. 90 miles. LOL

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
put some sawdust in transfer case gear oil to quiet down them gear noise. good for short runs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Seriously though...is my 1500 supposed to be that loud!!!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts