Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Texas recently passed a No Texting while Driving law. I personally have been waiting for years for this law. I have no idea how much it will help or how much it will be enforced. Do you have the no texting law in your state and has it helped?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Cellular Phone Use and Texting While Driving Laws

That's a link which lists all states and how they handle this subject. I live in Kansas and I haven't read or heard about anyone getting ticketed for texting and driving. In fact, it doesn't seem like the police enforce much of anything in the Wichita area. I rarely see a cop on my commutes to and from work.

Personally, all vehicles should come with a system which forces the driver to connect their phone to the vehicle in order for it to start. Once connected, the driver will not be allowed to use the phone unless using the built-in hands-free system in the vehicle. All texting will be disabled while vehicle is in motion, too. Yeah, this takes away a sense of freedom, but driving is a privilege anyways. JMO!

·
Registered
110 Posts
texting is banned in VA for everybody - cell phone use is banned for anyone under 18.

it wont help any more than any other law they pass that wont get enforced.
the only time I've heard of anyone getting tickets is if they were in an accident and the phone was found to be at fault - or if they rolled up on a road check with phone in hand.

·
Registered
457 Posts
In Missouri it's legal for anyone over the age of 21 to text while driving. Under 21 it's illegal. Doesn't stop "Anybody" from texting. Texting isn't going to stop in Texas either. I believe those laws are used more on the legal end than on the enforcement end. So if someone was texting when they took out your front fender, it's no longer who's to blame because texting is now against the law.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally wish the no texting laws would be enforced at least as much as the seat belt law. Law enforcement could pay less attention to less dangerous traffic laws and more to no texting.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here in MD, they have the no-texting laws, and they're hardly ever enforced. I see more cagers moseying along with their eyes glued to their damned phones. And it isn't just civilians, I see plenty of cops on the phone too.

I think that the best solution is a 911-only mode, like when your SIM card isn't present, for any phone which is moving at more than 2 MPH. This'll stop the bicyclists (yes, them too) and fast walkers. I see so many people walking around, head down. I've bumped into my fair share, too. I already don't walk well (knee problems), and I'm damned sure not gonna walk off the sidewalk to accommodate your need to be up-to-date on your Facebook.

Frustrating to no end.

-John

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your idea may work but I believe a rocket launcher would be more effective. :devil2:

Here in MD, they have the no-texting laws, and they're hardly ever enforced. I see more cagers moseying along with their eyes glued to their damned phones. And it isn't just civilians, I see plenty of cops on the phone too.

I think that the best solution is a 911-only mode, like when your SIM card isn't present, for any phone which is moving at more than 2 MPH. This'll stop the bicyclists (yes, them too) and fast walkers. I see so many people walking around, head down. I've bumped into my fair share, too. I already don't walk well (knee problems), and I'm damned sure not gonna walk off the sidewalk to accommodate your need to be up-to-date on your Facebook.

Frustrating to no end.

-John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Austin has had it for a while now, it's not enforced as much as it needs to be and it hasn't changed a damn thing. They were even nice enough to put up signs all over letting everybody know it's illegal to use your phone with your hands while driving. You're still allowed to use a hands-free device to take calls and such, but you can't hold it to talk or hold it to text. Just a week or two ago I saw a lady doing 10 under the speed limit, who couldn't maintain her lane, because she had both hands on her phone and was steering with her knees.

There simply aren't enough cops driving around to enforce the law, and it's really nothing more than a feel good measure, as it hasn't done a damn thing to get people to stop using their phone while driving.

I deliver pizzas for my job, so I'm in my car all day, and I can't remember a day where I didn't see someone doing something stupid because they were on their phone.

So be happy the law got passed, but don't expect it to do anything, because nothing will change, unfortunately.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I was talking to a friend about this a few months ago, and he said that instead of a special law, which only carries 1 or 2 points here in MD IIRC, it should be covered under reckless driving, and be worth 5 points. If you make the deterrent strong enough, people will wake up after a few of their friends and family (or themselves) rack up some suspensions over their damned phones.

-John

·
Registered
214 Posts
No cell phones use allowed in germany (either texting OR phone calls), but look into the cars - nobody cares about it.
Fine is approx. 100 US-$ plus 1 point on your license, but still not enough.

I would like to shove (everybody who use a cell phone while driving) it up into their A$$.

Driving a 50.000 to 100.000 Dollar car/truck, but not enough money for a handsfree kit or bluetooth solution OR still to silly to know that it exists or how to use.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
471 Posts
No cell phones use allowed in germany (either texting OR phone calls), but look into the cars - nobody cares about it.
Fine is approx. 100 US-$ plus 1 point on your license, but still not enough.

I would like to shove (everybody who use a cell phone while driving) it up into their A$$.

Driving a 50.000 to 100.000 Dollar car/truck, but not enough money for a handsfree kit or bluetooth solution OR still to silly to know that it exists or how to use.

Cu,
Sven
Dude, that's the thing - in my area, there are SO MANY cars and trucks that I *know* come with Bluetooth STANDARD, and yet I STILL see drivers with their phones glued to their ears!

I'd love to shove 'em where the sun don't shine, but I guess that's "wrong".

Nothing wrong with pulling alongside in a truck and honking the horn :p I've seen people do that, and the offending driver typically runs into a curb.

I just give 'em the ol' "hang up" motion (outstretched thumb and pinky finger in a downward motion) and ride on.

-John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts