Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I dropped into the dealer yesterday to have a chat in person after a week of waiting to get the news, and the carb needle is still on order. I was advised that the tab on the side stand is cracked so now I need a new side stand, also now on order. The rear brakes are being replaced as they were rubbish when I went for my short 20km ride. Tires are aging, but still safe and will pass so I will leave those alone for now. That saves me about $600+, so my bank account likes that news. From the estimates so far, it looks like the bill will be around the $1,000 mark give or take, most of that being labour costs. Good thing I negotiated a low sale price when I purchased the bike originally.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You said you took the carb apart twice. Did you not notice it missing jets or needles? Missing either one of those will not cause it to not get fuel, it will cause it to get so much fuel that it floods the cylinders. If adding fuel into the cylinders got it to fire, that doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You said you took the carb apart twice. Did you not notice it missing jets or needles? Missing either one of those will not cause it to not get fuel, it will cause it to get so much fuel that it floods the cylinders. If adding fuel into the cylinders got it to fire, that doesn't make sense.
I am not an expert on carbs, so when I removed and cleaned the carb I was none the wiser as to anything missing. Adding fuel down the spark plug holes was a friend's suggestion that made no sense, but I went ahead anyway. Not sure if that helped it start that one time or not. In any case, my Kawasaki dealer is fixing everything and I hope to have a running bike in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Glad to hear you got you bike back in working order. I just recently purchased a 96 800a as a project bike. About a week ago I finished getting it all together and got it running. Unfortunately it is too cold now to ride so I have to wait till spring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It was very upsetting to find out that the previous owner took the carb apart, removed the jet and then reinstalled the carb on the bike. I blame myself for purchasing a bike that was not running, and lesson learned. The cost was mostly all labour as the jet needle and new spark plugs were relatively inexpensive. I had to get a safety check as is required by law here in Ontario and that was another $120. It starts and runs now, but the riding season is long over and we already have snow on the ground so I will have to wait until spring to see how she rides

21 - 29 of 29 Posts