Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ignition coils are good. Looking to find out where the trigger coil is located to test that next and the steps on how to replace.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
The best plan is to troubleshoot rather than just replace parts.
Some questions:

1. How many miles on the bike?
2. How long have you owned?
3. Any recent work done?
4. What were the symptoms you were having?

Post back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1)9000 miles
2) third owner bought beginning of February
3)I personally haven't done anything but the extras involved are. Led lights (linked direct to battery), phone charger( linked direct to battery) and Vance and Hines long shots.
4) symptoms: battery is good, starter good, gas is flowing( can smell it when trying to start). Turns over but won't FIRE up. One fine morning, getting ready to start her up she wouldn't start. I smell gas so I turn the gas switch off figuring I might be flooding. With the gas switch off I turn her on and after a couple tries she finally fires up. Switch the gas on and rode to work. Done work, I go to ride home. She doesn't fire up again. I try the little trick I did that morning by shutting the gas off and starting her. Still no go. Kept trying to start her until my battery just died. I even tried roll starting with a friend and no luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one ignition coil is getting power, gotta test the other. And I wanna test the trigger coil next

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cables leading to the spark plugs? We tested the left side. And there's no spark coming from them. All fuses are intact as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
are you getting power to the hot side of the coil and nothing at the trigger? have you ohmed out the coils ? also I hade same problem took ignition switch apart and had a dirty contact at the grey wire with the resistor I just used some 800 grit sand paper and made a clean contact reassembled the switch and it was good to go

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the exact same problem with the random starting issue if you take the switch apart make sure you be careful there is 3 springs and 2 metal balls that will fly out if your not careful. id almost say check the grey wire going into the cdi it should read under 12volts due to the resistor at the key switch its kinda like a security device that keeps you from starting the bike with out a key, the trigger pickups don't work at random they are either bad or good no grey areas lol, and you cant jump 12v directly to the grey wire at the cdi it wont work also check you neutral switch ,oil switch and clutch switch they are also tied into the ignition system

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I will check all these options ASAP and will get back to the thread. Would anybody recommend me buying the clymers Manuel or would it just be a waste of money?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I suggest you troubleshoot the problem rather than just hunting around for conditions that other folks have had that may or may not be your problem and needlessly taking items apart that there is no need for.

Two reasons for doing so:

1. You lose the fault temporarily.
2. You introduce another fault and then the real tail chasing begins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had no power to the coils .. found it to be the power unit . Some one had played in the box ... I had a autosparky sort the issue...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts