Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went for my first long ride on my 2003 Volcan 1500 Nomad.

The gas light came on and I looked for a reserve spigot or something and did not see any.

I was lucky enough to get to a gas station but where is the reserve switch?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Fuel injected. No petcock. The gas light is your reserve warning.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
They did make carb'd 1500 Nomads that year, but as CRU said, I would expect that you have an FI model if you don't have a petcock.

Reactions: JClaude

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes F1 model.
OK so when the red light goes on I have about 30 minutes or so to find gas.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
On both my 900 and 1700 the light would come on steady with about 1 gallon (3.8 ltr)in the tank. Your ride time may vary!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes F1 model.
OK so when the red light goes on I have about 30 minutes or so to find gas.

Thanks
It's not about time, it's about distance. A safe guesstimate is about 30 miles (50 km or so for you ;)). It's probably more, but you risk walking it after that. When the light comes on, keep an eye out for a station but there's no need to freak out.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
It's not about time, it's about distance. A safe guesstimate is about 30 miles (50 km or so for you ;)). It's probably more, but you risk walking it after that. When the light comes on, keep an eye out for a station but there's no need to freak out.
And the distance is also dependent on how those miles are ridden. Cruising at 60 mph on the highway, you will get a few more miles. In stop and go traffic, or riding in the mountains, less miles.

Also, the fuel pumps in FI bikes are cooled by the gas in the tank. Regularly riding to less than 3/4 gal will probably shorten the life of the pump. Going down to less than 1/2 gal on a hot summer day could cause some serious wear or even burn out the fuel pump. Plan accordingly. I have been down to almost literally fumes one time and my pump still works, but every time it happens increases the chances of the pump failing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the distance is also dependent on how those miles are ridden. Cruising at 60 mph on the highway, you will get a few more miles. In stop and go traffic, or riding in the mountains, less miles.

Also, the fuel pumps in FI bikes are cooled by the gas in the tank. Regularly riding to less than 3/4 gal will probably shorten the life of the pump. Going down to less than 1/2 gal on a hot summer day could cause some serious wear or even burn out the fuel pump. Plan accordingly. I have been down to almost literally fumes one time and my pump still works, but every time it happens increases the chances of the pump failing.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Figure out your average miles per gallon and use the trip meter to gauge remaining fuel.
Reset it every fill up.
I get +/- 40 mpg so that gets me a comfortable 160 miles between fill ups ('07-900ClassicLT)
And like JClaude, Sabre-t, I have stretched that.
The most fuel I've put in is 4.8 gallons. Owner's manual says the tank hold 5.3 gallons.
Just my 2 cents.
Ride safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts