Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update on going to the darkside,love my Harley ulta classic! The Vulcan and the Harley are like night and day! Not trying to bash the Kaw but the ultra is awsome, there is a huge diffrence in the curves havent scraped the boards yet, lots of clearance, crusin on the highways,well this is what the bike was designed for,again awsome. At first I didnt like the idea of seprate oil compartments but now I see, oil changes every 5000mls primary oil every 10,000 to 20,000mls and gear every 20,000mls all depends on how much you ride. Of course all syn oil. But you have the choice of choosing what oils you desire. Im going with amsoil in the crank,belray in the trans and belray in the primary.All the things I thought and all the preconcived ideas I had have been shattered. This bike is awsome! Got the grasshopper backrest,and changed the pipes to Rush (Big Louies)They sound great! I have a cd,mp3,cb,am/fm rig.The antenna reception is great as i can listen to local stations out to 80-100mls. Tires are cheap as my local harley bike shop sells the tires with no charge on install and balance.So far im glad for the switch! And the aftermarket goodies are never ending.I liked the kaw for the touring bike it was but dont miss hearing all the belt noises and dont miss the Kawasaki dealerships ive spent so much time at!And dont miss not having any aftermarket parts for.So this is my final farwell to kaws Anyone thinking of goint to the ultra for a touring bike should be quite taken back I was! Thanks for all your guys feedback on my kaw,and happy touring! Eric

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
glad you like the harley.....some people love them...as for me not even if it was given to me....

·
Registered
98 Posts
........I liked the kaw for the touring bike it was but dont miss hearing all the belt noises......
That's easy enough to solve. Just buy a shaft driven Mean Streak. I have no belt noise. Ha ha.

Seriously, though. Glad you like the new bike.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Never met or rode a motorcycle I did not like. But there are a lot of them I will not own.

As long as you ride.... that is all that matters. I rode HD for a living 8,10,12 hours a day depending on the shift hours at the time. I did Motors my full 20 year career.

That is why I will ever not own one. Nothing wrong with them, I do not want one. I was even offered to buy the one I had when I retired as it was due to be replaced for $3,500, it was 3 years old. I told them no thanks.... already had a good road scoot (a Venture at the time). And with only 60k miles on it, the HD was using about 1/2 qt oil between the 3k oil changes we did. My Venture with 200k did not use a drop of oil.

Regardless of what you have been told, do not let the tranny and primary oil go more than 6k miles if you want it to last a long time. And change the engine oil ever 3k.......... but you probably do not ride yours any way near like I did those Police HD's, all out... all day long........ After 3k miles the engine oil was nasty....... So was the primary oil.... Tranny not as bad.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
More cornering clearance = less leg room. Handlebar mounted fairing vs Frame mouned fairing. How much more did you pay for the HD.

I've test rode the Ultra Classic, Road King, and Road Glide Ultra. Nice bikes, but by the time I optioned them the way I wanted I can pay for two of my Kawasaki's.

I hate to say it but after getting the Concours 1400, I'm not sure if my next touring bike will be a V-twin. Love my Mean Streak and have no plans to part with it, but I think my next touring bike will be in the Adventure tour lineup. Possibly a Tiger 1250 Adventure.

·
1,172 Posts
well ron send er on up....ill just sell it and buy a 1300 v-star....lol....already a 2007 roadking sittin in the driveway for sale....and hey if there is one thing better than 1 lawn ornamentits 2 of em..lol......oh roadking is neighbours bike

·
Registered
558 Posts
Harley's are great if you're a midget. Anyone 6' or taller will be hurting putting any miles on one. I rented a Street Glide last month and put 400 miles on it in one day. What I learned;
1. Stock seat sucks tailbone pain and numbness is insane on rides longer than 30 minutes.

2. Shorty windshield buffets so bad (with full helmet) at anything over idle.

3. Short wheelbase makes it so easy to handle but gave me leg cramps after 1 hour in saddle. 6'1"

4. Shakes like crazy at low speeds cancelling out the easy handling as you're annoyed with the thing shaking apart.

After renting the bike I realized that dropping 20 large on that thing that needed Stage 1 mods, new windshield, new seat, is just dumb. I don't take loans out on motor vehicles, that's what poor people who like to pay interest for crap they don't need do. I considered it with the Harley.... until I drove it and woke up. Long live the Classic!!! It's paid for and I get the same amount of fun out of it. Plus I'm not cramped!!

·
1,172 Posts
Ride what you like, thats the bottom line.
If I were to buy an American bike it would a Victory, or Polaris's Indian.
sooo if you were going to buy american it would be a polaris or maybe a polaris...lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
Eric congrats on the new ride. I would love the get a HD road glide. HD has sooo much more after market parts and the road glide puts off way less heat than my furnace blasting Voyager.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More cornering clearance = less leg room. Handlebar mounted fairing vs Frame mouned fairing. How much more did you pay for the HD.

I've test rode the Ultra Classic, Road King, and Road Glide Ultra. Nice bikes, but by the time I optioned them the way I wanted I can pay for two of my Kawasaki's.

I hate to say it but after getting the Concours 1400, I'm not sure if my next touring bike will be a V-twin. Love my Mean Streak and have no plans to part with it, but I think my next touring bike will be in the Adventure tour lineup. Possibly a Tiger 1250 Adventure.
Im 5'8 only thing I notice is my knees a little higher. but I use the pegs all the time so thats not a problem for me.There is no perfect bike, to me this bike has more pluses than minuses like the vulcan. my biggest beef on the vulcan was the belt drive they have mine was god awful load and getting worse,the harley belt is not even an issue ,cant hardly hear it.the seat was like the vulcan it sucked so I had it dished out and got the grasshopper backrest that took care of that. I know the Harley bashers will say what they will,but the bike I have seems fine to me. Its an 09 and I have all the service records on this bike it was a rental. No major work done on it with 33,000mls Mostly oil and tire changes and Ive arready put on allmost 4000mls in the last 4 weeks with no problems. Hope im still happy in the future but for now im really loving it,and dont miss the vulcan one bit!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eric congrats on the new ride. I would love the get a HD road glide. HD has sooo much more after market parts and the road glide puts off way less heat than my furnace blasting Voyager.
A big plus I didnt even notice for a while was the heat off the pipes,hardly any! And thats riding it in some 90*days weve had here.Been threw Tennesse moantians and N.C. and W.V. and lovin it so far!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Eric, How is the power? Is it a six speed?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eric, How is the power? Is it a six speed?
Its a 96'' I dont feel its underpowered, the rush slipons have made a noticable change. The bike is a 6speed 09 is when they went to the stiffer frame and larger rear tire! It has electronic cruise and throttle.80mph on the highway is nothin for these bikes to do because of the gearing . The biggest minus is for me is the amount of air that comes over the gas tank,great in the summer but in the colder months might not be good. Gotta watch the kickstand any slope at all and bike feels like it wants toroll forward so I always keep it in gear! The bat wing fairings not as bad as I thought it would be but not as much wind protection as the vulcan or a road glide ultra! These are some minor things Ive noticed.Lots of pluses though side bags remove with just 2 pins for easy cleaning and air shock access,tour pack is huge,lowers have storage compartments,front fairing clamshel cover removes with 4 screws, a luggage rack that works! batwing has ajustable air vents that will blow your ass of the seat! rear seat has lumbar support bag for passanger and controls for radio volume and chanels as well as cb outlets and anntenna. oil stick is really nice with hot and cold levels.A horn to be proud of and lots of lights in the back as well as led side markers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts