Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my break in oil change and searched for any bolt that would allow removal of an oil screen from my Nomad 1700. Nothing. So I checked the owner's manual. Nothing. But, there are 2 drain bolts. One is in the center under the motor and the other is near the rear of the motor. It is on a higher plane than the other one and there is quite a bit of oil in there that will not drain from the lower bolt. Still confused about the screen. Did they change the motor configuration for the 2014?:confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did not think they had oil screens since the early 70's. I am sure it has a spin-on oil filter. Or, is that what you mean by oil-screen? Sorry, trying to help but may not understand your question.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not think they had oil screens since the early 70's. I am sure it has a spin-on oil filter. Or, is that what you mean by oil-screen? Sorry, trying to help but may not understand your question.
Thanks for the reply. I know about the spin on oil filter but by reading other threads and watching You Tube videos I got the impression there was also a screen. I used to call them a pre filter. Maybe I just misunderstood.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The oil screens on the 1700s do not need to be cleaned. (unless you have an internal part failure)
It's a good thing too, because they are internal and require taking off a lot of parts to get to them.

There are a couple of threads here about it if you do a search.

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil screens on the 1700s do not need to be cleaned. (unless you have an internal part failure)
It's a good thing too, because they are internal and require taking off a lot of parts to get to them.

There are a couple of threads here about it if you do a search.

Scott
Thanks. If it ain't easy, it ain't happnin!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
There ARE screens in the 1700 engine, there are 2 screens. One is for the scavenge pump, the other for the feed pump.
There is one screen on each side of the engine. Due to them being behind the lower fame rail I don't think they can be removed as they are very long screens. I took mine out to clean them when I had the engine out of the frame. With over 49,000 mls on the engine the screens were clean.

RACNRAY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts