Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not the shock that's terrible on the V2K its the spring. So I got a little curious as to what could be done, Emailed Showa the maker of the shock trying to find out the spring # rating was, they could only direct me to Kawasaki seeing as they are just an OEM distributor, So called Kawasaki and they had no clue. Well nobody sells a spring specifically for the V2K so I looked around and found a spring with a 935# rating its actually made for Yamaha road stars and v stars http://www.lachoppers.com/images/products/20110803235424.jpg / [url]http://www.lachoppers.com/images/pro...1028180803.jpg[/url]
The Kawi spring measures 8 1/4" L and narrows from 3 1/2" o.d. to 3" o.d. inside diameter go from 2 3/8" i.d. to 2" i.d.. The new spring is 7 1/2" L and 3 1/2" o.d. with a 2 3/8 i.d.. So I was willing to risk the $85 on the new spring, Ordered it, when it came I removed the stock shock/spring put a spring compressor on it removed the snap ring and the whole system came apart.
The collar at the bottom of the spring fit perfect nothing to change but on the top I needed to make up the difference in length i.d. and o.d.. Now here's where I became creative, I went to a neighborhood welding shop for help and came up with a thick walled aluminum pipe 3" o.d 2" i.d.. I had him cut me a piece 1" long and had him mill it down on one end so I would have a collar that was 2 3/8" to fit into the spring and the 2" diameter fit the O.E.M. collar and over the shock. put it back into the spring compressor put the snap ring back on, slid the shock back into the bike no problem, Bolted everything up took her for a ride and I couldn't believe the difference no more bottoming out and I'm 250# even when riding 2 up was way better. $85.00 for spring $50.00 for the collar $135.00 total compared to $400.00 Yuuuuuup the way to go

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Ingenuity and DIY at it's finest.

That said, you must have some wicked bad roads. I tightened up my factory shock about 1/4", give or take, put one more click on the damper, and even two up it very rarely bottomed out. I'm 265 and my GF isn't exactly petite either.

I've since put on a Progressive 465 RAP so I can have it both ways, a bit softer just for me, more firm for the both of us.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Its not the shock that's terrible on the V2K its the spring. So I got a little curious as to what could be done, Emailed Showa the maker of the shock trying to find out the spring # rating was, they could only direct me to Kawasaki seeing as they are just an OEM distributor, So called Kawasaki and they had no clue. Well nobody sells a spring specifically for the V2K so I looked around and found a spring with a 935# rating its actually made for Yamaha road stars and v stars http://www.lachoppers.com/images/products/20110803235424.jpg / [url]http://www.lachoppers.com/images/pro...1028180803.jpg[/url]
The Kawi spring measures 8 1/4" L and narrows from 3 1/2" o.d. to 3" o.d. inside diameter go from 2 3/8" i.d. to 2" i.d.. The new spring is 7 1/2" L and 3 1/2" o.d. with a 2 3/8 i.d.. So I was willing to risk the $85 on the new spring, Ordered it, when it came I removed the stock shock/spring put a spring compressor on it removed the snap ring and the whole system came apart.
The collar at the bottom of the spring fit perfect nothing to change but on the top I needed to make up the difference in length i.d. and o.d.. Now here's where I became creative, I went to a neighborhood welding shop for help and came up with a thick walled aluminum pipe 3" o.d 2" i.d.. I had him cut me a piece 1" long and had him mill it down on one end so I would have a collar that was 2 3/8" to fit into the spring and the 2" diameter fit the O.E.M. collar and over the shock. put it back into the spring compressor put the snap ring back on, slid the shock back into the bike no problem, Bolted everything up took her for a ride and I couldn't believe the difference no more bottoming out and I'm 250# even when riding 2 up was way better. $85.00 for spring $50.00 for the collar $135.00 total compared to $400.00 Yuuuuuup the way to go[/quote]Way to go, good on ya. Its great feeling when something like that works out. I have already ordered a Progressive 465, but if I knew about this mod I would have thought real hard.

[quote]That said, you must have some wicked bad roads. I tightened up my factory shock about 1/4", give or take, put one more click on the damper, and even two up it very rarely bottomed out. I'm 265 and my GF isn't exactly petite either.
I've since put on a Progressive 465 RAP so I can have it both ways, a bit softer just for me, more firm for the both of us.[/quote]
Do you like your 465? I have one coming, its a great shock on the 900 so I hope the difference on the 2000 is just as big.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Yeah, I like the 465, but my passenger had some surgery a few weeks back and isn't cleared for riding just yet. So, I haven't had a true opportunity to try it two-up.

FWIW, I had to send mine back to get repaired right out of the box. Seems they had assembled it with the wrong rear attachment clevis and it would not fit on the bike. Just as a precaution, when yours arrives, I'd confirm it measures ~32mm between the ears, with 12mm bolt hole.

Link to my drama: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1623866&postcount=22

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah, I like the 465, but my passenger had some surgery a few weeks back and isn't cleared for riding just yet. So, I haven't had a true opportunity to try it two-up.

FWIW, I had to send mine back to get repaired right out of the box. Seems they had assembled it with the wrong rear attachment clevis and it would not fit on the bike. Just as a precaution, when yours arrives, I'd confirm it measures ~32mm between the ears, with 12mm bolt hole.
Oh thanks, now I have to worry about that, yes I will check that when it arrives. I will keep my fingers crossed that it is ok.

Does the 465 REALLY make a huge difference?
It made a huge difference on the 900, got rid of all the pogo sticking and back breaking jar. So im hoping I get that bonus with the 2000. I go the 1" Lower 465 as I just love the look of these bikes that little bit lower, gets the weight down lower, side stand ends up at better angle and makes bike easier to get upright (bike doesn't lay over as much) I cant comment too much just yet on the 2000 till I fit it and see if it all works out. Will report back.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Does the 465 REALLY make a huge difference?
Depends to some degree on what you mean.

I got the 465 with RAP (remote adjustable preload) so more firm or less firm is simply a matter of turning a knob one way or another. Don't have to take the seat off and mess around with jam nuts and spanner wrenches.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have had simlar issues with me myself, trunk and sadle bags i dont have an issue but as soon as the wife jumps on when we go over dips and tracks we bottom out. i have been thinking the same thing for awhile that the spring is just not stiff enough but heres the thing if you ride 2-up all the time just change the spring if you are split then thats where the RAP comes in handy. But if your a cheap a$$ like me i am not paying for that expensive thing so i have come up with a solution the original spring is progressivley wound so as to allow you to pre load it and also have some softness and stiffnes but i dont think it is enough, I found a website where you can buy comp springs fairly cheap so the idea is two use two springs inplace of one stack them with a addapter in the middle. The spring rates should be the difference in the second riders weight. So now you have a spring that is good for one person and then compacts more or less and second spring will catch all the rest. So say 1000lbs on the larger spring at about 70% of the total length and the second would be like 650lbs to 750lbs and 30% of the length. I was bored at work so i went head and drew up the adapter i would make out of a 2" sch 40 pipe and a 1.5" sch 40 pipe and a plate cut into a circle 3.5"in diamater in the middle

Attachments

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
To me $500 isn't bad at all, considering the hassle I'd have to go through to try to make all that come together, and hope it's right or at least close the first time.

·
Registered
370 Posts
To me $500 isn't bad at all, considering the hassle I'd have to go through to try to make all that come together, and hope it's right or at least close the first time.
I agree 100% with that. Suspension is very hard to get right and a good shock or front springs made to suit bike is worth every cent.

I have had simlar issues with me myself, trunk and sadle bags i dont have an issue but as soon as the wife jumps on when we go over dips and tracks we bottom out. i have been thinking the same thing for awhile that the spring is just not stiff enough but heres the thing if you ride 2-up all the time just change the spring if you are split then thats where the RAP comes in handy. But if your a cheap a$$ like me i am not paying for that expensive thing so i have come up with a solution the original spring is progressivley wound so as to allow you to pre load it and also have some softness and stiffnes but i dont think it is enough, I found a website where you can buy comp springs fairly cheap so the idea is two use two springs inplace of one stack them with a addapter in the middle. The spring rates should be the difference in the second riders weight. So now you have a spring that is good for one person and then compacts more or less and second spring will catch all the rest. So say 1000lbs on the larger spring at about 70% of the total length and the second would be like 650lbs to 750lbs and 30% of the length. I was bored at work so i went head and drew up the adapter i would make out of a 2" sch 40 pipe and a 1.5" sch 40 pipe and a plate cut into a circle 3.5"in diamater in the middle
I love to experiment as well, and I really hope if you do it that it works out. Just remember that the shocks rebound damper has to suit the springs you fit or the whole thing goes belly up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts