Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MN-Nomad and myself have been having some discussion on whether or not to stop having the BOTM, but have some kind of monthly contest so we can still have our members shown off on the front page. BOTM gets a lot of views, but not a lot of participation. Jeff and I may be mods, but you guys, the members, are what makes this site what it is. What would guys like to see as a contest? What would you participate in? We'll be changing things up and want your ideas and input on how to improve the monthly cover contest.

Here's one idea-
Instead of a BOTM contest, have just a pic of the month contest. Some of the thoughts on guidelines-
1-should be Vulcan related
2-pics chosen from the Vulcan Forums Gallery only
3-Jeff and I would randomly choose 3 pics each month for the members to vote on
4-any pic in the gallery will be fair game, unless the owners pm either Jeff or myself and let us know you don't want them used.

Remember, these are just ideas and we want yours too, let us know what you want!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Maybe the BOTM is just to often, not enough new members that know about it to have enough new entries. Your ideas sound good. Another idea maybe you just have a similar thing to the BOTM on a quarterly (entries open for 2-1/2 months or so) basis instead of monthly. Along with that maybe you just need a little more marketing that it can be any bike (Vulcan that is) to enter, doesn't need to be a radically modified bike. Maybe people don't think their bike is customized enough to go to the trouble of entering. In the 900 forum you get plenty of pictures, what makes that so popular? Part of the problem maybe that there are still many people that don't know how to post pictures. I didn't when I was new here

Whatever you do I agree it's good to see everyone elses ride, stock or customized. You get a lot of ideas for you own bike without spending the money and finding out you don't like something.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Both Good Ideas

I think that both your idea and RS900C's idea are very good.

I haven't done enough to my bike that I would consider it as anything but stock, soi I wouldn't view it as a canidate for BOTM.

A picture of the Month/Quarter can take into account more than just the bike (Vulcan of course), such as locations, say the intersection of Kawasaki Av.and Vulcan Dr. (probably doesn't exist) with a nice modified or not modified Vulcan in the foreground. Any picture that captures the experience
of riding.

These could be drawn from posts in the photo galleries for the period in question.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I just started to actually look at other threads on here other then the 900 area. I didn't even know how to vote until today. (mainly cuz I am lazy and don't look for things). I like the BOTM, but I wonder if alot of people even know about it. I mean the 900 model area has the most threads by far.

What would be cool is if there was sponsor that would give something for winners. It might get more people to go for it. Maybe limiting how many times someone can win...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Would there be a way you could do each catagory IE: 1700, 1600, 1500, 900, 800, & 500 or some form of the different bikes... BOTM always seemed certain size and types were all that had much of a chance... I see pics of folks with 500's they have done alot of work to, and that doesn't get considered. I know that would be alot of catagories, but maybe that could be condensed down some to touring, sport bike, large cruiser, small crusier or something.?? and the pics just posted without voting even... just change them up monthly... sorta showcase everyone's bikes that way.??

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I just started to actually look at other threads on here other then the 900 area. I didn't even know how to vote until today. (mainly cuz I am lazy and don't look for things). I like the BOTM, but I wonder if alot of people even know about it. I mean the 900 model area has the most threads by far.

What would be cool is if there was sponsor that would give something for winners. It might get more people to go for it. Maybe limiting how many times someone can win...
So when you logon you just go to the 900 folder and not the others? Have you tried the "New Posts" tab? If you visit daily, usually there is only a page of new posts and you can click on the ones that interest you without missing an interesting tidbit outside the 900 folder.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Don't know how I missed it. I use that feature on VN750.com all the time. Told you I was lazy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
That really disappoints me. I had been waiting until I finished with the farkles to enter my bike. Santa completed the farkle list now the BOTM is gone... Bummer!!!

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
It is not gone, this thread was started to solicit opinions and discuss it. As stated, several months we barely get entrants and the voting is light. Looking to gauge interest/solutions.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Maybe posting a Sticky at the top of each forum (or even if just the ones for all the model forums) about the BOTM might help remind people to check it out and vote. I think if it's put out there in this fashion, you may get more general interest, entries and votes. In general I believe folks like seeing bike pics. The pic of your Vulcan seems to be fairly well used. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey. I used to participate in a forum in my industry and what was fun was some merchant members would give prizes every month. The Mods worked it out with the merchants/vendors and I'm sure there was a bit of work involved to make it happen, but the prizes were pretty great ($250-500 value usually) But when you have your best customer prospects giving you 100% of their attention and PASSION, it's great ROI for a vendor and really bring a lot of participation to the forums. That's my 2 cents!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't know if I can add anything else to this subject except my own opinion. I never chose to enter BOTM because I just viewed my 900 as a really great looking bike to begin with as it was stock from the factory. Really just a collection of bolt on accessories doesn't change it a whole bunch to make it stand out from the crowd to make me consider wanting to enter in BOTM. Take 2 Vulcans side by side then put a stock windshield on one and a Memphis Shades on the other and there is no drastic change to make one just jump out at me and say WOW! I hope no one takes any offense here and certainly I did not intend to insult anyone. I can add that I haven't seen any Ugly Pics posted anywhere. The Pics posted however do give an opportunity to see how an accessory would look on a particular bike before deciding to spend the money on the "Farkles";) But I'll tell you one thing that would catch my eye would be custom paint jobs or perhaps models? Scratch the models, I forgot I'm married:rolleyes: Seriously though I think a nice paint job might make me wanna participate in BOTM. Many times I get compliments on my bike and I just say thanks. Kawasaki built the bike and put the paint on it so I figure much of the credit goes to them. The only thing I can say I don't really care for on my particular setup is my bags but when I find something that satisfies my needs I'll switch em out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As a new member, I just discovered the BOTM. (And okay, I'll admit it, it took me a good minute before I figured out Bike Of The Month, DUHHHHH.) I really like the idea of random picks from the gallery, it gives everybody a chance to show off if they post pics. You could even add catagories like best backdrop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts