Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5.3 gallons? If Kawasaki was serous about making a real touring bike they would have given us a seven gallon (or larger) tank. I thought I might be able to get along with a 200 mile range, but when that range was reduced to 175 miles at realistic highway speeds, I decided to do something.

About four months of shopping and research resulted in the construction of a mounting rack to adapt a five gallon tank to my existing rear rack to allow me another 175 miles or so between fuel stops. I am currently drawing plans for a second rack to place the tank above the pillion seat and still allow for the use of the stock tour trunk.

When it's done, I'll be able to run the bike in four configurations--a bagger with no rear rack, trunk or tank, with the stock trunk and no tank, with the tank alone like the pictures below, and with the stock trunk to the rear and the five gallon tank above the pillion seat.

325 to 350 miles at 80 mph.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That is simply cool. I like the look. Personally I gas up just to take a butt break.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I believe the new GS and the Moto Guzzie adventure bikes have the option of 8 gallons of fuel. I guess the premise is that since these are adventure bikes you might need the fuel capacity.

I am usually ready for a break when I need fuel, but one more gallon would have been nice.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The fuel capacity would be nice for ultra-remote riding but, I must be a wimp come 175-200 miles I am ready to get off and get something to drink and stretch!

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts
Your lucky... Ust hat ride Mean Streaks are gassing up @ 120 - 140 miles..
I'd be happy with your 5.3gal. tank...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I understand your concern but is that legal? If you get rear ended its a direct hit to the gas tank

·
Registered
113 Posts
The tanks are street legal. They are designed for rail buggies and dune buggies. they are actually thicker than our steel tanks on the bikes. If you get t-boned, the same could happen as if you get hit from behind.

·
Registered
234 Posts
TdLpps, could you explain how this system works? I'm guessing you ride untill the main tank is near empty, flip a switch to transfer fuel from the aux tank to refill the main?
How does the aux tank supply connect to the main tank? or does it feed the engine directly?

·
Registered
234 Posts
And............from the right side it appears you have a stock exhaust system, but there's no left muffler?
Or is that an aftermarket 2 into one system?

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
The fuel capacity would be nice for ultra-remote riding but, I must be a wimp come 175-200 miles I am ready to get off and get something to drink and stretch!
I think the point is a longer range per tank. Just because you are "ready" to stretch or get a drink, or even drain your bladder, doesn't mean there's a gas pump right there. I can stop almost anywhere to stretch out and pee. Having a 300 mile range doesn't mean you HAVE to ride 300 miles non-stop.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I think the point is a longer range per tank. Just because you are "ready" to stretch or get a drink, or even drain your bladder, doesn't mean there's a gas pump right there. I can stop almost anywhere to stretch out and pee. Having a 300 mile range doesn't mean you HAVE to ride 300 miles non-stop.
Yeah I get it. The 900 has the same size 5.3 gallon tank and is able to go 250+ miles on a tank. Believe me, it is nice! It's also nice if you commute with the bike, since you don't have to get gas as often. I know some guys who commute with the bikes and have to get gas every day. Bleh!

Also nice on a group ride when everyone else is filling up I can stretch out and drink some water because I can still make it to the NEXT fuel stop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exactly. I don't usually go four or five hours without stopping for some reason. The extra gas comes in handy in situations where stations don't come up in 180 mile increments.

An example--I recently rode to Phoenix for work meetings. I leave the coast and ride east on the 10 freeway. I can easily make Palm Desert, but I can't make it to Blythe on the stock tank. There's no good place to stop in between, so I leave my house and stop a little over an hour later to get a half tank of gas. That's a waste.

I bought this bike to tour on and run Ironbutts, so everything I've done revolves around those two things. There are places in north-central Nevada where having 250+ mile range is really, really helpful, almost necessary.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
TdLpps, could you explain how this system works? I'm guessing you ride untill the main tank is near empty, flip a switch to transfer fuel from the aux tank to refill the main?
How does the aux tank supply connect to the main tank? or does it feed the engine directly?
The five gallon tank is a storage tank to transfer fuel into the main tank via a Facet electric fuel pump. I can run the tank half way and fill it twice from half tank or I can run it almost empty and transfer fuel into the main tank. The pump is a medium pressure pump that is regulated at 4-7 psi and takes about twelve minutes to fill a near empty tank. The pump is energized off a lighted rocker switch.

I'd be happy to provide more details via PM.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
And............from the right side it appears you have a stock exhaust system, but there's no left muffler?
Or is that an aftermarket 2 into one system?
I run the left saddlebag as a cooler on Ironbutt rides and having a hot muffler underneath melts ice pretty quickly, so I run a 2 into 1 setup on the right side only that uses a stock 2010 HD Road Glide muffler fed by a custom collector.

The HD exhaust runs the cat in the header pipe so the large, quiet stock muffler runs nice and cool on the Voyager. I don't need to wrap my pipes and the exhaust has sufficient flow for good performance. The 2 into 1 gives the exhaust a nice, smooth rumble and the HD muffler keeps things as quiet, or quieter, than the stock mufflers.

The stock heat shields fit over the header pipes and the HD muffler and the whole thing looks stock once they are in place. Only you guys know how a stock bike looks, and the only people that have asked me about it are Vaquero and Voyager owners.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The five gallon tank is a storage tank to transfer fuel into the main tank via a Facet electric fuel pump. I can run the tank half way and fill it twice from half tank or I can run it almost empty and transfer fuel into the main tank. The pump is a medium pressure pump that is regulated at 4-7 psi and takes about twelve minutes to fill a near empty tank. The pump is energized off a lighted rocker switch.

I'd be happy to provide more details via PM.
Thanks. Is it plumbed into the stock tank somehow? or you need to stop and open the filler cap to transfer fuel?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I run the left saddlebag as a cooler on Ironbutt rides and having a hot muffler underneath melts ice pretty, so I run a 2 into 1 setup on the right side only that uses a stock 2010 HD Road Glide muffler fed by a custom collector.

The HD exhaust runs the cat in the header pipe so the large, quiet stock muffler runs nice and cool on the Voyager. I don't need to wrap my pipes and the exhaust has sufficient flow for good performance. The 2 into 1 gives the exhaust a nice, smooth rumble and the HD muffler keeps things as quiet, or quieter, than the stock mufflers.

The stock heat shields fit over the header pipes and the HD muffler and the whole thing looks stock once they are in place. Only you guys know how a stock bike looks, and the only people that have asked me about it are Vaquero and Voyager owners.
Very nice! Did this exhaust (without the cats) reduce fuel consumption?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I don't like that the weight is carried so high up & far back.
The worst location,as far from the CG as possible.

JJ

1 - 20 of 46 Posts