Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

No headlights or Driving lights

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  btom 
#1 ·
Hello all! New here, I have an 04 vulcan nomad 1500fi and recently lost my headlights both high and low and my fog/driving lights, blinkers work. The entire set up is LED sealed units not bulb replacement. Did a number of tests and through process of elimination thought the headlight relay was bad. I replaced it and lights came back on for about a minute after starting bike then went out again.. I have mechanical knowledge but as far as electrical, just the basics! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. When aftermarket components are present the diagnosis becomes more difficult. Either the relay was bad and the new one corrected the issue then burned out or while replacing the relay, you touched a connection that was bad and started the lights working for a short time. Telling us maybe the relay wasn’t the issue. Would recheck the headlight relay. Check all fuses. Have you tried disconnecting the fog/driving lights and tried the headlight? Have to get a multimeter or a test light and start checking connections and components. Check the connections for corrosion or pushed in pins. Pack the connections with dielectric grease when reconnecting. Don’t know if you have a factory repair manual so here is a link to download one. Post back if anything is unclear. We will be happy to help. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

#4 ·
Hi! Thanks for your answer, I have checked all components involved with multimeter and continuity is good except power to headlight plug. I have disconnected drive lights and am currently waiting on yet another new relay. Multimeter says both relays are good but something doesn't add up. Idk again im not savy with electronics. Talking to an electrical engineer he said running a new power source from an accessory power source with an inline fuse and separate relay will work fine. Obviously keeping headlight and driving lights separate. He seems to think the same as you with a corroded wire or bad ground.
In the meantime I'm battling another issue of getting throttle cables back on after installing new grips! Sometimes I bite off more than I can chew lol!
If you have any suggestions for that I'm all ears!
Thanks again

#7 ·
Does the new grips have the same connections as the stock grip? What is the issue
Does the new grips have the same connections as the stock grip? What is the issue you are experiencing?
Yes they are same, found issue. Return was bound up! Finally got a good pull on it without messing up cable and hooked it back on

#6 ·
did the headlight stop working happen at the same time that you did the new grips project?

#8 ·
No this was before, just happen to have new bars and grips come in while it was apart so went ahead and swapped out.
Headlight issue still ongoing.
Going to run new fuses, relays and wiring separately for Headlight and driving lights!

#9 ·
you can install that relay on the inside of the left-side cover and for your leads you can tap into the rear tail light hot wire under the seat, and drill a hole in the cover and install a switch to turn your headlight on/off whenever your tail light works (ignition key on), run a lead direct from battery post to relay then tap into power wire to headlight hi/low beam switch under the seat, or under the gas tank, that way you turn your lights on/off when you want

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.