Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 kawasaki vulcan 800 VN800A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 Vulcan 800 has a headlight when in neutral and running, but when the bike is in gear I have no headlight. Please let me know how to fix this issue. Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Happy you decided to join us. You did not mention if your bike was a Standard or a Classic. So went with Standard. You have a strange issue. Did this issue arise after some maintenance or modification was done? Does the light go out when you pull in the clutch or when you put the bike in gear? The switch that is involved when putting the bike in gear is the neutral safety switch. This switch is connected to the starter circuit relay and the headlight relay in the relay box. Also in this system is the headlight, taillight, high beam indicator, dimmer switch, starter lockout switch (clutch switch), neutral indicator light, engine stop switch, and some other components. Start with buying a spray electrical cleaner/lubricant and spray the clutch, neutral, kill, starter, dimmer, and side stand switches. Here is a link to the manual wiring diagram. If you bike is a Classic use the second link. If anything is unclear or if spraying the switches had no effect, please post back and we will help you. Thanks again for joining the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
start up bike up and with bike in 1st gear, turn on your front turn signal, do the turn signals work? also turn the headlight to high beam and low beam, are either working?

·
Registered
1996 kawasaki vulcan 800 VN800A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no turn signal on the bike at all but it has been working fine without them for about 4 years

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
with no turn signals working and no headlight working, does the headlight high/low beam work with bike running in neutral?

·
Registered
255 Posts
find any problem?
may want to look at the Hi/Low switch on the handlebar, clutch side.
That switch goes into the headlight relay in the junction box.

I rebuilt my 800 from junk seven years ago, that switch was bad.
From what i remember it could cause your problem even if it "feels good".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts