Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Scoot's Phat II Risers and a new windshield. Now, I have no headlight, horn or turn signals. Otherwise, the bike is running fine and I do have running lights on the front. At first, I figured I'd blown a fuse somehow, but I checked the fuses and they look okay and there are separate fuses for the turn signals and headlight anyway.

So, now I'm stumped for the moment. I've misplaced my shop manual and there's nothing in the OM troubleshooting to address this.

I haven't taken apart the headlight bucket to inspect the wiring there, which is what I'll do after posting this message.

But, I seem to recall that there's an auto switch or something that might control this stuff and needs to be reset. I'm hoping that someone here knows what it is and can put me on the right track.

Thanks

PS; The Phat II risers are sweet! I had installed the Scootworks SWR-12 risers late last summer. They are okay, but weren't quite what I wanted. My arms were still stretched out straight with a slight forward lean to my body and I still had difficulty with slow speed maneuvers lock to lock. The Phat II risers give me about another inch or so of pullback and that made all the difference. The bike is much easier for me to control at slow speeds now. ;)

I'll post pics of the risers and new windshield in another thread, after resolving this issue.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I think you're on the right track looking for a loose plug connection. My schematic shows an 8 or 9 pin plug that covers the horn, headlight dimmer sw. and turn signals. Just trace the cable coming from the switch cluster on the handlebar down to that plug.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Head lite and turn signals are not on the same fuse.

Have blown head lite fuse at night, and had to drive by blinker lites.....

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late reply, but my computer's video card decided to crap out, so I've been without a computer for a few days.

Anyway, the problem has been resolved. As Sojourner mentioned, there's an 8 pin connector in the circuit. Actually, I'm not sure what it really is now, because there were 2 connectors involved, one 2 pin and one multi-pin connector and both were unplugged somehow.

These plugs are located almost directly under the center of the gas tank, on the top of the frame. There is some kind of bracket there, that holds several connectors. The smart money would remove the gas tank for very easy access to the connectors. But, since my computer was down, I didn't have access to my service manual, so I had to do it the hard way and try to connect them by propping up the tank because I didn't know how to remove it. :rolleyes: Nothing new there, just the story of my life. :)

Bottom line is that I had to reroute the wiring and the clutch cable, to get everything to work right on the left side of the handlebars, because the new risers stretch everything to the max. I want to do the same to the brake line and the throttle cables on the right side, for the same reasons, but have managed to get them to work okay for the moment.

I am really happy with the Phat II risers, but getting everything to fit properly has been a pain. Kawasaki used the shortest possible handlebar cables on my 2010 bike, leaving very little room for adjustment. Others have stated that they didn't need to reroute the cables with the Phat II risers on their 900's, but my bike definitely needed rerouting. My speculation is that the connectors were pulled apart when I tested the handlebar travel from lock to lock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts