Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just turned the corner and lost power. Instrument panel no lights except for turn signals. Turn signals work, hazards work, no park lights, no tail light, no head light. The engine revs every time the turn signals/hazards flash. No power except when signals light. Magneto, computer, ? problem? Very weird. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
First thing would be to check battery cable connections (both ends) for being clean and tight. Check all fuses and their holders. Make sure the battery is good.
If all of the basics check out and still no-go, if you have a meter, post back and I might be able to help.

Post back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
RacerX says "it sucks to be you"..but he also had a Honda 750 that did the same thing, and had a bare wire being pinched between the frame and the seat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just turned the corner and lost power. Instrument panel no lights except for turn signals. Turn signals work, hazards work, no park lights, no tail light, no head light. The engine revs every time the turn signals/hazards flash. No power except when signals light. Magneto, computer, ? problem? Very weird. Any ideas?
So when you lost power, it was only the lights went out, not the engine that quit? Is that right?

Now every time the signals flash, the engine revs up? That is weird.

Is the engine idling normally until the signal is turned on?
Does the throttle work properly?

Check that you don`t have wires being pulled when the forks are turned to the limit on either side.

X2 to all sfairs suggestions, and to debjax- check for pinched wire under tank or seat.

No magneto or computer on the vn750.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All fuses checked and battery cables were the first things checked. Looked for pinched/frayed/shorted wires that are visible and easily accessible.

The engine starts right up. It idles, but as soon as I hit the throttle it starts to get real choppy and lose power and serious backfires. All connections are tight.

I'm starting to think it is the voltage regulator given the surging and lack of lights.

I do have meters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Key on, no start - do you have running lights?
No running lights, no break lights, no headlight, no horn. All fuses OK. Turn signals and hazards function. The bike starts and idles. Travels and shifts, but cannot accelerate starts backfiring BIG time like gun shots and in succession like all cylinders start firing at once when try to accelerate. Throttle cable OK. Brand new throttle cable last fall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine prolbem was......

I had a very similar problem and FINALLY found it was in the ignition switch itself.. If I get the key just in the right position it would work sometime, but always wind up cutting out.. It appears the wiring harness was very short and pulled the wires on the rear of the switch.. I messed with it forever, twisting slightly etc.. When I thought it was good I even JB welded the back in place. Helped, but not a complete fix. So I installed a hidden switch to turn the main power on bypassing the switch contacts that supply's voltage to engine and maybe other stuff.. Much easier than replacing the expensive switch!! Was a heavy white wire If I recall.. (Have Clymbers)
Good luck as it could be as above already written, but if that has failed, check you I switch.. I have had NO more problems after my fix..
If you found a fix, let us know what it was just for everyone's ref!
TC
750 Vulcan 1989:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts