Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I bought a brand new Vulcan Vaquero one month ago (no ABS). It happened to me twice in the first week that I had to brake hard and the bike slipped, I heard the screech and smelt the rubber burnt. Both times were going downhill, so I blamed that and the fact that the tires were still new. But I don't recall that happening with my old VTX1800, which is almost the same weight and same tires, but radials. Then I researched the tires that the bike has, they're "bias", and seem to have less grip than radials.
Today I had to brake hard again, one jerk did a U turn in front of me and ended up blocking the whole street, and heard the screech again, this time softer, like one wheel only locked. Luckily I was able to swerve and avoid the crash. But now this got me worried. As I said this never happened with my former bike, and seems to be usual with this one. I checked the tire pressure, the first two incidents I was running with the pressure recommended by the manufacturer. Now I'm running a little higher, because I think the recommended is too low, now I'm 36 front and 40 back.
Maybe I'm too hard with the brakes but, again, I never had that problem with the old bike. Has anyone had this kind of problem? Has anyone switched to radials? Any recommendations?

thank you

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Possibly these brakes are way more sensitive than you are used to. When I got my new Voyager after being on an 05 800 for 6 years, I thought the brakes were very touchy, but I adjusted to them in a day or 2.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts