Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I truly realized how spoiled I am riding a big cruiser yesterday. One of my friends bought a new 230 dual-sport Honda, his first bike, and asked me to ride it over to his house from the dealer because he does not have his learner's permit yet, so I did. What a contrast, riding a 1700 Classic and getting on a 230 dual-sport bike!

I'm afraid, for me, after riding a cruiser there would be no going back to a smaller bike - I'm so used to the comfy, smooth power, the stability, and such, oh, and did I mention POWER?

Of course, at about 185lbs riding a 230 made for an even greater contrast!

I believe it will be a great first bike for my friend, though, as he wants to go off-road on the trails as well as the streets.

(Funny, however, he already has his eye on a KTM 990 adventure bike...I suspect it won't be all that long until he owns two bikes, if I don't miss my guess.)

Anyhow, I had to share the little story.

btw: HAPPY SPRING everyone!:)

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I am looking at buying a 125 street bike, sort of like a Trials bike. I think it would be a blast to ride. Way lighter than the big bikes. (not getting rid of my big bikes)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Very interesting post. I have to say, I love my Vulcan Classice 1600, I could ride it all day long in any weather.

Also, I have a Triumph Sprint ST and although it is a fun bike, it is much lighter but I have had some big blasts in crosswinds on the highway that were very scary to handle even though I am am almost a 20 year long rider now. I do love this lighter/zippy bike for short town rides to work etc.

Also, I have a Honda XR200R. It's a trail bike that could be street legal. Super light and peppy with almost neck-snapping power. This bike I love, but I could never imagine it on the highway being buffeted and blown around by crosswinds and big trucks passing. Since I own and ride all three types of bikes, I still have to say there is nothing like a big bulky, heavy cruiser for highway trips and smooth stability.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gee I still love my itty bitty 900LT. Handles fast, good mpg, looks cool, costs less and can keep up with the big boys. Course I also never ride two up since wife hates bikes but that's ok. Gives me my guy time. hehe. Now if I had the cash laying around to upgrade to a 1600-1700 sure but since I don't I'm satisfied with the 900.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Gee I still love my itty bitty 900LT. Handles fast, good mpg, looks cool, costs less and can keep up with the big boys. Course I also never ride two up since wife hates bikes but that's ok. Gives me my guy time. hehe. Now if I had the cash laying around to upgrade to a 1600-1700 sure but since I don't I'm satisfied with the 900.
Sounds good. I ....unfortunately ....work at a bike shop and therefore, there is NO single one bike out there that does all I need and want to do! Sure hurts the pocket book at times though....;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds good. I ....unfortunately ....work at a bike shop and therefore, there is NO single one bike out there that does all I need and want to do! Sure hurts the pocket book at times though....;)
Umm kinda sounds like me with camera's and editing software although I don't work at camera shop. Boy would I be in trouble. :eek: Just moved into that retired phase of life so buying toys will be a rare occasion now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm with ya bro, my dad just bought a '91 softail last week or so ago. I rode it back to his house for him, dunno why he didnt ride, but who cares i gotta ride out of it;)

It was like i could feel every crack/pebble and road variations on that bike. Then got on my v2k and realized just how great the bike is. Went for a good cruise later that day to appreciate it even more ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Umm kinda sounds like me with camera's and editing software although I don't work at camera shop. Boy would I be in trouble. :eek: Just moved into that retired phase of life so buying toys will be a rare occasion now.
I'm getting there now and I'm not close to retiring yet. But I feel I still gotta splurge on a helmet cam yet. We just bout a Tom tom for navigation. Helmet cam coming soon...I hope..

P.S. really enjoy your vids on Youtube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts