Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new bike 1997 vn1500d. Bike will fire right uo and run but underpowered. I noticed after aboit 5 minutes of running front exhaust was ice cold, and there was no pressure coming out of the front exhaust pipe only the rear. Plugs are new, spark is good, carb rebuilt...could thia be a kacr problem? Can they get stuck open? Any way to check without pulling motor?
Thank you for any responses, i really like the bike and would love to get her riding right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I understand the KACR correctly... If the return spring is broken and it is stuck open; It wouldn't keep the exhaust valve open. Only when the KACR is closed it will prop the valve open.

You say the spark is good? Did you check each plug individually?

Since there is spark, air, and fuel coming in.. Must be compression. Either a valve is not seating all the way or you are getting blow by cause by worn rings. Best way to check without taking the motor out is to use a leak down test.
bringing the first cylinder up to TDC and putting compressed air down into the combustion chamber (with the appropriate fitting) and listening for a hissing. Intake, exhaust, and crankcase. Then you can formulate a plan from those results.

You can, however, spray some WD 40 or some other penetrate into the intake and exhaust of cylinder 1 (coating the valves really well) and pull the plugs out of both cylinders. Crank er over with the starter a bunch of times and try again. Be careful not to kill the battery or fry the starter (let the starter cool off periodically). With any luck you have a stuck valve and you might be able to loosen it up.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
pull the motor and tear it down to find the problem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts