Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was cleaning out my motorcycle with WD 40 (not sure if I should have used that) inside the metal pieces that I unscrewed that hold the turn signal, horn, and kill switch, starter together. After putting it back on, checking the fuses, ensuring the battery is fully charged, etc there is no click.

Immediately before it worked fine except the bike kept having an issue cranking even after pressing the kill switch and taking the keys out of the ignition. I am not sure what the problem is, and if I messed anything up by cleaning the bike or not. I cleaned it because I thought maybe the starter or kill switch or something was sticking.

I also noticed that both my turn signals have not been working, and checked both bulbs and took them out inspected the wire and if it was dirty inside, but it looked fine. I am guessing it is an electrical issue, but not sure.

Any ideas? By the way, I have a 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 500.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Do you have lights lit on the dash with the key on?

With the key off rock the kill switch back a forth a few times and push harder on the edges of the starter button, then try to start.
Otherwise whatever you took apart is the place to check.

Dont use the kill switch unless an emergency happens.
Sounds like you use it a lot. Its for emergencys not to stop the engine.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
So I was cleaning out my motorcycle with WD 40 (not sure if I should have used that) inside the metal pieces that I unscrewed that hold the turn signal, horn, and kill switch, starter together. After putting it back on, checking the fuses, ensuring the battery is fully charged, etc there is no click.

Immediately before it worked fine except the bike kept having an issue cranking even after pressing the kill switch and taking the keys out of the ignition. I am not sure what the problem is, and if I messed anything up by cleaning the bike or not. I cleaned it because I thought maybe the starter or kill switch or something was sticking.

I also noticed that both my turn signals have not been working, and checked both bulbs and took them out inspected the wire and if it was dirty inside, but it looked fine. I am guessing it is an electrical issue, but not sure.

Any ideas? By the way, I have a 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 500.
Sounds like you knocked something loose in the kill switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey sorry I tried to reply earlier, but my phone was acting up. Busy day. But I will try your suggestion tomorrow. The lights light up, it just won't even make a click to spark anything when I press the electric starter. I am guessing the WD40 may have messed with the electrical connection. Hope I didn't fry or mess up anything. I should take a video tomorrow if I can of everything and post it here.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
vulcandoc;2866313 Dont use the kill switch unless an emergency happens. Sounds like you use it a lot. Its for emergencys not to stop the engine.[/QUOTE said:
This is incorrect, the kill switch can be used every time the bike is stopped. It just breaks the ignition circuit, same as ignition switch. Quite often it is easier to use the kill switch when you need to keep your hand on the clutch lever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts