Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi has any one out there had same problem
went out for a ride on Saturday when all of a sudden all warning lights came on then lost all info on panels, then bike starts to lose power pulled over bike cuts
out. turns out no charge going to battery breakdown service charged batter up bike runs ok manage to get bike home 1 mile away.
bike only a year old so still under warranty will ring when they are open.
breakdown guy said looks like the alternator as packed up, ever thing works when i charge batter back up, just no charge going to battery when engine running.
just trying to find out if this is a common problem.
vn1700 classic tourer 2013
1600 miles

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Could be a couple things from bad alternator to loose plug to bad connection on battery itself.... to even include a ignition wire or switch issue or battery.

Did you see if it was even charging while the AAA was there or when you got it home? Was the battery actually dead before charging it up?

There is an issue of the wires going to the ignition switch rubbing on the tank/frame and shorting out. That is one of the top stickies on top of the first forum page...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a Harley Electra Glide Classic do that to me. Rode it 150 miles from dealership to home with no problems. Rode 20 minutes to work the next day and it died about a block from the parking lot. Called dealer and he came in with a truck but replaced the alternator and the battery and it looked fine. Died again two days later. I charged up the battery and rode it back to him. Diagnostics revealed the stator had gone bad. They replaced that, added a new battery and never had another problem.

I am not a mechanic and do not play one on TV. I admit to not knowing what a stator is or even if these bikes have one. Just passing on some info. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Not a common problem, but infant mortality with electrical items could have happened.

do you ride year round? You check for rodents chewing wires?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Where I lived in Nevada Chipmunks were really bad about eating wires and making nests in your air filter housing. Cars... motorcycles..... anything....

We kept 5 to 8 outsides cats all the time and it still was bad....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi just a update, bike at the shop. they have just told me that the regulator rectifier has packed up, just waiting for a new one from Kawasaki, just as well the bike is still under warranty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts