Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike abruptly died on a trip. Tried to restart it and have no power on anything (lights,horn temp etc). Got it home and the battery has 0 volts. Put a charger on it and sounds like I get a hum from the voltage regulator. Disconnected the battery and will try to charge it that way. But am I wrong to start looking at the alternator being the issue? Quick read and it seems that stators can be a problem? Fuses are good. Why would the voltage regulator hum with the charger on?
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Cary

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Think I may have been going in the wrong direction. The humming was more than likely the starter. Seems that the new ignition relay wants to try and start it even with the key out and no start button pushed. Kinda wonder if the low voltage coil is stuck closed. Ohmed it and seems stuck . Any thoughts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you have anything other than a very, very high or infinite reading across the 2 heavy terminals of your solenoid, it's probably stuck shut, which means replacement.

It's actually a pretty common issue across all of the import brands that we see at the shop (Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, etc)

Not sure if you have the Nomad 1500 G1 or G1A version, both both call for the same piece.

Kawasaki part # 27010-1347

A link can be found here:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/1999/vulcan-1500-nomad-vn1500-g1/starter-motor

Interestingly enough, that's still the same piece my '08 500 takes as well.

If you want to charge your battery, disconnect the negative cable and charge normally, but do not reattach the cable until you have made your repair. I would advise this course as the stuck solenoid will put a continuous drain on your battery, most likely causing internal damage to the battery itself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Part is ordered. Think there is a lesson in buying 11$ parts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No worries...

Of course, just this morning my father calls me and says his Goldwing won't start... guess what the problem is....

Good news for him is that I had a couple of these switches (or starter solenoids as they are more commonly referred to) sitting in my toolbox from Goldwings I bought and broke down for parts (no title, wrecked, or one that wouldn't stand up because the frame around the side stand mount rusted out).

Pretty common issue across the metric bikes from what I've seen, so if you can afford it, it doesn't hurt to keep a spare (along with all the bulbs, fuses, etc).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts