Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I purchased a secondhand 2018 Vulcan S ABS from someone who rode it only 6-7 times over 9 months (~920km on the odometer). The bike remained in an underground communal garage for the most part. A friend collected the bike, and I recall that it had a full tank. No idea how long the fuel had been sitting in there.

I rode the bike at both slow and high speed, and found the engine braking and jumpy throttle rather annoying so I bought and installed the BoosterPlug to remedy these issues. The sensor was positioned behind the headlamp and Jens, the BP engineer, confirmed the placement was perfect.

Post-installation, I started up the bike, did a fair bit of slow riding in first and second gear, and noticed no improvement in throttle response. I also got it up to higher speeds in the lower gears... no discernible improvement in engine braking either. My friend who had ridden my bike pre- and post-installation also agreed with my assessment. I then contacted Jens who was adamant the unit was unlikely to be faulty and then proposed this outcome was due to:

a) rider adaptation to the bike's behaviour
Not likely. Being a learner rider, I don't have the skillset and experience to easily adapt to changes in bike performance and behaviour. I've also been very vigilant.

b) incorrect installation
Followed the video uploaded by VulcanJoe to a T so this is also unlikely. No dashboard warnings or service codes appearing either.

c) bike fault "making the low RPM air/fuel even leaner than stock setup"
According to Jens, the possible suspects would be TPS not correctly adjusted, throttle valves not insync, low fuel pressure, faulty lambda sensor.

Should mention that the bike had its first service post-BP installation. I was told the chain was a little loose and was retensioned, and that some of the freeplay in the throttle was taken out. Nothing else out of the ordinary apparently. I've since put in fresh fuel. Didn't notice any difference before the service and fresh fuel, nor after. The bike rides the same as it did at the time of purchase. Does anyone have any ideas? And if there is indeed a fault with the bike, could they have been missed during the service?

I've seen so many positive reviews and comments about the BP so I'm at a loss as to why it has done nothing for me. At this point, I'm considering removing it, riding it for a bit, then refitting it to do a reverse comparison. I'd appreciate any suggestions or help here.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
The jerkiness and hesitation stopped when I switched out the stock exhaust to a Delk one. It was an immediate improvement. I do not have a commander or a booster. It used to gurgle when down shifting ut hast steadily gone away. Does MY bike run lean or rich? Who the hell knows maybe the ecu regulated it overtime.. It runs smooth in all ranges. There is no back pressure anymore and I am happy with it. Like posts on what type of oil you using you will receive many' many different opinions. Lol.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The jerkiness and hesitation stopped when I switched out the stock exhaust to a Delk one. It was an immediate improvement. I do not have a commander or a booster. It used to gurgle when down shifting ut hast steadily gone away. Does MY bike run lean or rich? Who the hell knows maybe the ecu regulated it overtime.. It runs smooth in all ranges. There is no back pressure anymore and I am happy with it. Like posts on what type of oil you using you will receive many' many different opinions. Lol.

I had a similar experience as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you want to get rid of it let me know, id like to try it out on my 18. Ive noticed more jumpy throttle and back pop after changing to a delkevic 8" mini.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi.

I've bought a BP for my Vulcan S, but I won't get to install it until I get back home from work in a couple of weeks.

I had a similar experience with my KTM when I fitted a BP to that, initially unimpressed and didn't feel the smoothness I was expecting and hoping for. After a while though, a few 30+ miles runs out and a longish shift on A roads at 60-70 I can really feel the difference. More pokey, smooth shifts and engine braking doesn't feel as sharp.
I put this down to the BP kicking in, me getting used to it on the bike and understanding how it changes the riding parameters. I also feel I get better at riding every time I'm out so there might be a bit of that too.

I wouldn't have bought another for the Vulcan S if I didn't think they work well.
Perhaps a few different types of runs out may pay off.

Once I've fitted mine I'd be happy to give more feedback.

Good luck.

Tom.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8704X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the BoosterPlug, rode it for a few hours, and reinstalled it. I now retract some of my initial comments. I definitely noticed the idle was stronger...less hesitation. It also tamed the jerky throttle somewhat. That said, I did not notice much improvement in engine braking. Many have lauded the BP for significantly reducing the engine braking, but that hasn't been my experience. Think you're right with your initial comment--it's all somewhat subjective ultimately.

I'm thinking of replacing the stock exhaust with a Delkevic 16" (410mm) ceramic slash cut soon. How are you liking yours?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a BP, just throwing ideas out there... is it possible that during its first service the tech unplugged the BP and never re-connected it?
No, I removed the fuel tank and checked the installation after posting here. Everything was spot on. Also told the guys servicing my bike about it in advance. They didn't go near it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi.

I've bought a BP for my Vulcan S, but I won't get to install it until I get back home from work in a couple of weeks.

I had a similar experience with my KTM when I fitted a BP to that, initially unimpressed and didn't feel the smoothness I was expecting and hoping for. After a while though, a few 30+ miles runs out and a longish shift on A roads at 60-70 I can really feel the difference. More pokey, smooth shifts and engine braking doesn't feel as sharp.
I put this down to the BP kicking in, me getting used to it on the bike and understanding how it changes the riding parameters. I also feel I get better at riding every time I'm out so there might be a bit of that too.

I wouldn't have bought another for the Vulcan S if I didn't think they work well.
Perhaps a few different types of runs out may pay off.

Once I've fitted mine I'd be happy to give more feedback.

Good luck.

Tom.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8704X using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing your experience, Tom.

Rather odd that it contradicts the experiences of the majority. Riders generally speak of noticing an immediate improvement. I've ridden more than 150 km with it on, off, and on again. Noticed nothing the first time, noticed a difference right away the second time. The impact on the engine braking is disappointingly negligible, however.

I'll be interested to hear how the BP affects your rides on the Vulcan S.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Definitely not my experience with it. Totally works and even low speed operation is way better. You’d jerk the hell all over the place without the booster plug during low speed maneuvering. With BP it’s as smooth as butter. Same as what @VulcanJoe said. Smoother initial throttle and a big improvement on engine braking. Before it was like throwing out a parachute. Now it feels more like my carbed bike.I was using the stock exhaust on my KVS also. Maybe a more unrestricted aftermarket noisemaker relieves enough back pressure to accomplish this on its own? I haven’t tried it. Some people think the BP is a power adder. It is not. I’d ask for a replacement and try it again. If I didn’t have a slipper/assist clutch on my Z900, I’d get a BP for it. But I really don’t need it on this bike. It’s buttery smooth! Me likey!!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I removed the BoosterPlug, rode it for a few hours, and reinstalled it. I now retract some of my initial comments. I definitely noticed the idle was stronger...less hesitation. It also tamed the jerky throttle somewhat. That said, I did not notice much improvement in engine braking. Many have lauded the BP for significantly reducing the engine braking, but that hasn't been my experience. Think you're right with your initial comment--it's all somewhat subjective ultimately.
Interesting. What's the ambient temperature out by you while you were testing this out? I wonder if that makes a difference?

Also, where exactly is the temperature probe mounted? Is it definitely clear of anything that might be generating heat?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. What's the ambient temperature out by you while you were testing this out? I wonder if that makes a difference?

Also, where exactly is the temperature probe mounted? Is it definitely clear of anything that might be generating heat?
Mild, around 20 deg (68 deg F).

The sensor was placed behind the headlamp initially, forward of the radiator and away from heat (see first pic). BP engineer said the placement was "perfect".

When I reinstalled it, I copied the placement shown in the 2nd image (credit to bearslayer).

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just installed the booster plug and I did noticed a little difference in engine brake, but I only went around my complex in 1st gear. I’ll update any real thoughts/concerns after I ride some tomorrow.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The things you’ll notice, with the BP installed and with stock exhaust, is; smoother idle, reduced throttle snatch,improved low speed maneuvering, reduced engine braking. That’s it. It’s not going to boost your MPG’s and it won’t add any power. It’s not doing anything once your cruising. As for the price, half the asking price would really be enough to spend on it. But it’s a lot cheaper than PCV and a lot less of a hassle. If you’ve changed your exhaust and want to reduce the popping and remedy those other Vulcan S issues already mentioned, BP is a cheaper and easier option, IMO.
I won’t be getting one for my Z900 as I find none of these issues with that bike, but Vulcan S is a victim for sure.

·
Registered
904 Posts
What Vulcanhead said. ^^^ I definitely noticed a significant decrease in engine braking and low speed maneuvering was much better. It is definitely too expensive, but unless you know how to whip one up yourself, it is definitely the best option. I’m happy with it.

I definitely said “definitely” a lot.
Happy you like it! I’m actually surprised someone else don’t have a cheaper version for sale yet. It’s not rocket science for an electronics tech. It’s a decent solution to symptoms of a lean operating engine. (I’ll put another definitely here!) It’s definitely not all in your head/placebo like some people are saying other places. It does work!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts